Jets' Nick Folk wants to increase value of NFL kickers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
From the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-nick-folk-jets-nfl-20140214,0,2280041.story
By Dan Loumena
February 14, 2014, 5:33 a.m.

New York Jets kicker Nick Folk, a star at Notre Dame High in Sherman Oaks and at Arizona, is having none of this talk about doing away with extra points in NFL games. He has a few suggestions that would, you guessed it, increase the value of a placekicker.

First, if you haven't heard, the NFL has begun debating the worth of extra points. Commissioner Roger Goodell said in an interview that one idea is to make all touchdowns worth seven points. A team then has the option to try a conversion play worth an additional point, but if the pass or run fails it would cost the team a point. That's right, take the seven or go for eight and possibly end up with six.

In an interview with the Star-Ledger of New Jersey, Folk was adamant about keeping the kicking game intact. "It's been a part of the game for so long," he said earlier this week. "And I think that it would be a disservice to take it away.”

Folk, who has never missed a point-after attempt in 269 kicks during his seven seasons with the Jets and Dallas Cowboys, took it a step further by saying football games could be more exciting by adding a narrower set of uprights inside the standard set, forcing the kicker to make extra points through the smaller space.

With those narrower uprights, Folk says, field-goal attempts that split the new width could be worth four points. If the ball hits the new uprights but doesn't go through, the kick would still be worth three points.

But he wasn't done, because there's the always-exciting proposition of the 50-plus-yard kick. A field goal of that distance that went through the narrower uprights could be worth FIVE points.

"As a kicker, it's the best thing you could do," Folk said. "You could kick a 50-yarder if you’re down by five at the end of the game and tie it, if you’re accurate enough with it. You're rewarding accuracy."

Come to think of it, Folk's last idea might be an attempt to kill the Hail Mary pass.

I don't know about that 5 point FG, but using an inner set of uprights for PATs and a possible 4 point FG doesn't sound unreasonable.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Or they could put a bucket in the fifth row and if it goes straight in the kickers team automatically wins the game. But if it bounces then goes in it's a loss. :rolleyes:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Or they could put a bucket in the fifth row and if it goes straight in the kickers team automatically wins the game. But if it bounces then goes in it's a loss. :rolleyes:

:LOL:. nice.

I kind of like the 5 points from 50 idea.

jjab360

Legend
I like the inner uprights and varied FG points based on distance ideas a heck of a lot more than doing away with PATs. Get it together, Goodell, you should be thinking of ideas to advance the game not take a step backwards.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I could actually see distance being worth more points effecting games. Near the end of a game down by four you could score once and win or tie, that would add a lot of drama and potentially leave more time on the clock for the other team to try and come back since you would see a team grind it down and get in close because that would win the game.

It would alter strategies big time. I could even see teams with a great kicker like Legatron skip punting to try for 5 points.

I'd like to see them come up with something and try it for an offseason to see how it worked.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Sorta like the added points for long kicks in fantasy football. Like that idea!

jjab360

Legend
I could actually see distance being worth more points effecting games. Near the end of a game down by four you could score once and win or tie, that would add a lot of drama and potentially leave more time on the clock for the other team to try and come back since you would see a team grind it down and get in close because that would win the game.

It would alter strategies big time. I could even see teams with a great kicker like Legatron skip punting to try for 5 points.

I'd like to see them come up with something and try it for an offseason to see how it worked.
The only place I could see it becoming a problem is that it negates trying to get closer for an easier FG. It'd be kinda weird losing yardage on purpose to get an extra point for FGs. I don't know, it would make the game more complicated, but it would also add more strategy which is what football ultimately comes down to in the end, anyway.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How about this? Quit trying to do useless tinkering with the game Roger. There is something to be said for tradition and football has a great tradition that Roger needs to stop fucking with. This isn't Arena Football. It isn't Arena Football - is it? At least not yet right?

jjab360

Legend
How about this? Quit trying to do useless tinkering with the game Roger. There is something to be said for tradition and football has a great tradition that Roger needs to stop fucking with. This isn't Arena Football. It isn't Arena Football - is it? At least not yet right?
Technically it's his job to try and find ways to make the game better

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The first part was actually in a fake sport on an episode of Futurama.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
How about we keep the game the way it is and just do away with Goodell instead?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

That's my take too.

Goodell thinks he can improve the vagina.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's my take too.

Goodell thinks he can improve the vagina.

Well I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to do that.

What if someone succeeded in upgrading the vagina.

I'd support that. In fact I am willing to sign up right now for field studies. Lots of research should be conducted ........

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to do that.

What if someone succeeded in upgrading the vagina.

I'd support that. In fact I am willing to sign up right now for field studies. Lots of research should be conducted ........

:LOL:

But it's not possible! :D

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
But without field research how do we know.........I'm gonna ask for a government grant to study this.......

I'm the right guy for the job hahaha
Be careful what you wish for.

You could be testing improvements like "spiky".

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Be careful what you wish for.

You could be testing improvements like "spiky".
What is that? Certainly doesn't sound good. Ah hell. Doesn't matter - Les is testing that one.