Jersey Count down #85!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Their are only three players that have warn this Jersey Number, BUT they're Big Ones!!!
Short story about our 1st Player; He came to the Rams after getting out of the Marine Corps in 1953 ( He'd been seen in a scrimmage of the Marine Corps Team against the San Diego Chargers) He's been called the " Fastest DT from sideline to sideline" of his Day! So At 6ft. 6 inch. I give you @ #85 - DT - Eugene ' Big Daddy' Lipscomb: ( He also wore #76)
Big Daddy Lipscomb.jpg

I can't believe, being a two time All Pro, and Hall of Fame Finalist in 1970 and 1977 he's not in the H of F!!
( If anyone can find a picture of Big Daddy in a Ram Uni I'd Like to have it for my Collection!!)
Next Up, " Now we start REALLY COOKIN'". From the Fearsome Foursome I bring you DE - Lamar Lundy:

Lundy.jpg

Lamar Lundy.jpg

lamar_lundy_1960_12_17and Jones.jpg

( Ok you notice Deacon's Grab 1st, but their's Larmar in the back ground!)

Lundy2.jpg

LundyLA.jpg

la_u_ramsts_576x324.jpg

I just had to through this one in BECAUSE!

And Now the Man you've probably been waiting for me to get to THE GREATEST #85 - Jack Youngblood:

19c72f7fd5d9b3bd0de48691bc3dba52.jpg

85-jack-youngblood.jpg
1979-jack-youngblood.jpg
d517ffd828a0e86a2ef2d9244b8887dc.jpg
jack-youngblood-football-players-american-photo-u3.jpg
YoungBlood-George-Rose1-630x428.jpg

I'm sure that any Ref that Dared argue with Jack Got ' THE LOOK'

Jack-Youngblood-Pro-Bowl-Broken-Leg.jpg

youngblood%20(4).jpg
Younglood-Rams.jpg
Youngblood_Jack_Blog-01.jpg

I don't know why only three players in Rams History ( Per Pro-Football-Reference) have warn #85, Maybe no one else dared to wear it, Maybe the number is Retired! If Not it should be in Honor of Jack!!!

As a side note, I once STUPIDLY said of Jack, when he first took over Deacon Jones' spot, " Who is this punk kid who thinks he can take Deacons place" I soon found out!
( you have to know,IF you don't already, Deacon was a personal friend of mine! So..)
Anyway, No doubt Deacon and Jack are the two BEST DE's the Rams Have ever had!

OK Folks, your turn, Lets see some of those photos, and gifs I know you have!!

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is something that I was unaware of. If Deacon considered you a friend, I suppose you can be tolerated ;)
I think he kept me around so he could laugh at me while he was " Kicking My Ass at Pool"! I was a local Champ. He was Waaay Better!!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dave Fan'51, you were friends with David "The Deacon" Jones?? How cool is that. I saw him on some TV shows back in the day... The Odd couple, The Brady Bunch, and I think he also used to sing (I know Rosey Grier sang too). Seemed like a very polite, laid-back guy. But on the football field... there was no one as ferocious as Deacon Jones. I put his "unofficial" stats up the other day... can't believe he had 50 sacks in two 14-game seasons. Merlin Olsen was an All Pro for 14 straight years, but Deacon was the bad ASS! Didn't know he played pool.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
85 is indeed retired as far as I know in honour of friend of ROD Jack Youngblood.

I love that picture of his stare. One intimidating dude but comes across as a genuinely nice bloke.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think he also used to sing
When I first met Deacon it was 'Off-Season' 1968, and he was doing a Solo act at the "Rag Doll" a very popular Night Club, at the Time, in North Hollywood California. I had free passes while he was their. I think he Liked my girl friend!:LOL::D

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Lundy never gets the credit he deserves for sealing off his side of the line. His constant pressure forced the QB in the pocket for Jones and Olsen. He was also very underrated against the run.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Nice posts you guys, love reading trips down memory lane. Sounded like some good things happened to you all in the early days outside of the football field. I am 52 from Pa and I like reading the things from the senior members from the early years as I started being a Ram fan in the early 70s.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of the greatest to ever play the game!

JY14.jpg

JY15.jpg

JY13.jpg

JY11.jpg

JY20.jpg

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
85 is indeed retired as far as I know in honour of friend of ROD Jack Youngblood.

I love that picture of his stare. One intimidating dude but comes across as a genuinely nice bloke.
I honestly didn't know for sure if it was retired, or not. But it make sense that it is!!

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Those blue jerseys with the yellow stripes that Lamar Lundy was wearing are bad ass!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The BIG question is! Blue an White or White and Blue!?
BertlesenLA.jpg
????????!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Badass falls short really. When I saw 85 there was immediately one picture in my mind...that one in your avi.
I personally hope that is the reaction every NFL Fan has when they hear his Name!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I NEED to add some stats here, because some of them, I find surprising, If not just amazing!
* Big Daddy Lipscomb - 1953-55
Big Daddy Lipscomb1.jpg
(I'm still Trying to find a photo of him in a Rams Uni!)
In his 3 seasons with us Played in 25 games But only had 2 FR's/ He did play in one playoff game. Surprisingly he had 3 KR's for 38 Yards!

I give him a lot of cred's Because he came to us as a USMC Korean War Vet, AND being a USMC Viet Nam War Vet, I have to do it!!:D

* Lamar Lundy - 1957-69
Lundy3.jpg
He was a 4th round pick, 47th overall in 1957! This 1 time Pro Bowler, in 1959, Besides having 3 INT's/ for 72 Yds./ and 3 TD's/ with 10 FR's It might surprise you to find out ..
Lundy4.jpg
He also had 35 Rec./ for 584 Yds./ and 6 TD's/ with an average of 16.7 per.!! AMAZING!!

* Now Jack Youngblood - 1071-84
Youngbloods.jpg
( The pro bowl w/Jim Youngblood)
A 1st round Draft pick #20 overall. 7 time Pro Bowler, 5 time All Pro Went into the Hall of Fame in 2001 after being a FINALIST 7 times ( 1990,91,96,07,98,99, and 2000!)
In his 14 season he had fun playing with other Greats like Dryer
fred-dryer-jack-youngblood1.jpg

He played in 202 games/had 10 FR's/ only 24 recorded sacks/and 2 Safeties. In his 17 Post Season games he had 1 INT/for 47 Yds./ and a TD/2 FR's/AND 2 HR's for 36 Yards! The man sure took care of Business!! & probowls between 1973-79!
The 1970's sure where GREAT years to be a Rams Fan!!
GO RAMS
addon.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Starts and ends with Jack Youngblood.
:thinking: Well .. all three where different Era's, and Lundy was a member of the "Fearsome Foursome"! Just sayin'! But Jack was Great no doubt about it!(y)