Jerry Rice Jr. and the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's got to be tough to follow in his dad's footsteps, especially at the same position.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerry Rice Jr. going to get a chance to try out for 49ers

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 19, 2014

94f18e856a7e3240161bb74fcb158b6d.jpeg
Getty Images

Jerry Rice Jr. wasn’t able to secure a job with the Ravens during a tryout last weekend, so he’s going to give it a shot where they know him well.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, the 49ers will kick the tires of the younger Rice at this weekend’s rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

“First of all, he’s a really good athlete,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh told CSNBaltimore.com. “He doesn’t have his dad’s size, but he sure got his athleticism. When you watch him run, he runs in a really similar way. The other thing is, he’s got that West Coast offense down. He’s probably had that playbook since he was in the cradle. He knows all the rules, the crossing routes what to do. Very good hands, very good athlete. He did a real nice job.”

The 49ers have also given tryouts other famous sons (such as Nate Montana), so it’s at least a goodwill gesture to families who have been so good to them in the past.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
What next? Joe Montana Jr. to tryout for QB?
There were a couple of Montana boys that haven't got a shot at the NFL and I'm kind of amazed by it. I think Nick and Nate are both out of college now and neither really got a sniff.
I can't wait to see Barry Sanders Jr. though, that kid balled hard in high school and will hopefully do the same in the pros some day soon. Same with Ray Lewis Jr.

rdw

Pro Bowler
There were a couple of Montana boys that haven't got a shot at the NFL and I'm kind of amazed by it. I think Nick and Nate are both out of college now and neither really got a sniff.
I can't wait to see Barry Sanders Jr. though, that kid balled hard in high school and will hopefully do the same in the pros some day soon. Same with Ray Lewis Jr.
I'm getting old...

A55VA6

Legend
It'd be cool to see him succeed anywhere, but I'm afraid it's unlikely. It's not often a child of a superstar becomes a superstar himself.

Looks like he's like his dad in the speed category. Looks like he run about a 4.7. He better have some good hands and run crisp routes or he doesn't have a shot.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I remember Jerry Rice killing us year after year so if his spawn doesn't make it to the NFL you won't hear me complaining

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would love it if Jerry Rice Jr. Made the team as a starter for the Niners. That way one of the guys on the Rams kick-ass defense can Knock him the fuck out.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
My son ent to a Cal football camp going into his Soph. yr. of HS. There were 700+ football players in attendance and at the end of camp they gave out MVP awards to players from each class at each position. My son was runner-up for Soph-WR to Jerry Rice Jr. And many thought my son had an actual better camp than JR Jr.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I had enough of the Rice family watching his Pops.... I don't think I could stand another one. Fuck. That. Shit.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yup, that's what held Jerry back IMO.

Let's not kid ourselves, he wouldn't be the receiver he is today if he was on the Detroit Lions his entire career. I didn't say he wasn't great. But he definitely was not the fastest guy on the field.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Would he even get a look if his dad wasn't Jerry Rice? I don't expect him to make the team but it's an interesting story if he did.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Let's not kid ourselves, he wouldn't be the receiver he is today if he was on the Detroit Lions his entire career. I didn't say he wasn't great. But he definitely was not the fastest guy on the field.

Rice would have had a great career playing with a drunken Namath.

Speed aside, he was OK at catching and OK at running routes and stuff. :sneaky:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I always found it crazy, that without fail, no matter the sport, no matter how good the superstar, their sons would never even be average talent in their respective leagues. You'd think somebody somewhere would have a son with at the very least a modest career, skill obviously isn't hereditary so it makes sense they wouldn't have nearly as much talent, but so many of them just lack talent at all.

Montana, Rice, Gretzky, Jordan. Doesn't matter the man, all their kids are just.. Meh. It's crazy, it's like having a superstar dad curses you to be below average.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I always found it crazy, that without fail, no matter the sport, no matter how good the superstar, their sons would never even be average talent in their respective leagues. You'd think somebody somewhere would have a son with at the very least a modest career, skill obviously isn't hereditary so it makes sense they wouldn't have nearly as much talent, but so many of them just lack talent at all.

Montana, Rice, Gretzky, Jordan. Doesn't matter the man, all their kids are just.. Meh. It's crazy, it's like having a superstar dad curses you to be below average.

My father was a nationally respected and decorated scientist. I can't even figure out what to do with baking soda. He was also one of the worlds most gifted scratch ship model builders and earned umpteen awards, his models are legend, I have several of them. I can't build a thing.

I couldn't do any of what he did.

But if he had to work in the world I made my living in he would have failed as badly as I would have at what he was pure genius at doing so I understand that these young guys aren't their fathers.

And Gretzky has a skinny azz skank for a daughter.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I hope he makes the team so LaMarcus Joyner can decapitate him and hand the bloody scalp back to his dad