Jeremiah: Manziel to Rams 'a real possibility'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jeremiah: Johnny Manziel to St. Louis Rams 'a real possibility'
By Bryan Fischer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...afting-johnny-manziel?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

St. Louis general manager Les Snead caused quite a stir Monday morning when he said in a radio interview that the Rams have been scouting quarterbacks for the 2014 NFL Draft. Despite sticking with his belief that Sam Bradford was the team's starter going forward, the comments about drafting another signal-caller this year certainly raised a few eyebrows around the league.

Most observers think that means the team will go after somebody on Day 2 or 3 of the draft as insurance for the oft-injured Bradford. But recent momentum seems to be building for the club to take one of the top quarterbacks in the draft class with a first-round pick. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former scout, said on "Path to the Draft" that he's hearing the team could actually be targeting one of the draft's biggest stars early in the first round.

"Take what you will with this, but this is out there," Jeremiah said. "(NFL personnel) are saying there's legitmate interest between the Rams and Johnny Manziel. There's at least buzz in personnel circles saying do not rule out Johnny Manziel to St. Louis."

That would represent a somewhat radical depature from the convential thinking that St. Louis will opt to go with offensive line help -- in the form of tackles Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews -- or an impact wide receiver such as Sammy Watkins. Trading the second overall pick to move down has also been a hot topic of conversation around the team and would open up a host of other possibilities for the franchise to wind up with someone such as Manziel.

Fellow analyst Charles Davis, in his mock draft set to be released Tuesday on NFL.com, is one of the few to act on the rumors of the Rams drafting a quarterback by slotting Manziel to the team with the 13th overall selection. That's notable, not just for the team grabbing Johnny Football to slide in behind Bradford, but because it's one of the rare cases where Manziel makes it past the Vikings and Titans on the draft board.

"I don't know if that's a scenario where he drops all the way to 13 or if they will have the guts to take him with the second overall pick," Jeremiah said. "I'm just telling you that's out there, and some people believe it's a real possibility."

Snead was among the throng of NFL front office types to head to College Station in March for Manziel's pro day, so it's not like the team hasn't done some homework on the most electric quarterback to come out of the college ranks in years. Also keep in mind that head coach Jeff Fisher came within a yard of a Super Bowl victory on the arm of a quarterback who could also make a few plays with his feet in the late Steve McNair.

Bradford has played all 16 games for the Rams just twice in his four seasons in St. Louis. He is expected to be back to full health by the time fall camp rolls around, a little over nine months since he tore his ACL and missed most of the 2013 season. He has two years remaining on his contract with the team, both of which represent a significant cap hit to the club as they re-tool to compete with division rivals Seattle and San Francisco.

Perhaps this is all just a misdirection play that we've come to see time after time in the run-up to the draft, but based on Snead's comments and the latest talk in NFL personnel circles, it's something folks will have to strongly consider when the Rams come on the clock in May.

V3

Hall of Fame
The Rams aren't getting the interest they had hoped for the 2nd pick. They are trying to heat things up. At least, that's what I think.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They have officially run out of things to talk about.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I still think Johnny Foozball could fall out of the first round altogether. He's just not an NFL looking QB to me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wow, what would I think on draft if the Rams drafted Johnny Manziel? This is one of the few times me and some of my fellow Ram Compadres actually go to a sports bar and watch the draft on Thursday night after work. If the Rams call out the name of Johnny Manziel, I will instruct the bartender to leave the bottle.

Always wanted to do that in a bar like the old westerns, however, in this case, I would need the bottle! I do believe he will be exciting, but I'm not sure I could take it!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, what would I think on draft if the Rams drafted Johnny Manziel? This is one of the few times me and some of my fellow Ram Compadres actually go to a sports bar and watch the draft on Thursday night after work. If the Rams call out the name of Johnny Manziel, I will instruct the bartender to leave the bottle.

Always wanted to do that in a bar like the old westerns, however, in this case, I would need the bottle! I do believe he will be exciting, but I'm not sure I could take it!

The Draft is one of my favorite times of the year. If the Rams did that, I'd immediately stop caring about the rest of their picks and basically pretend they don't exist for the next couple days. Not going to ruin my enjoyment of the Draft. After the Draft ended, then I'd let my anger out. :LOL:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If the Rams drafted Manziel, I would be very frustrated for a few days, maybe a week. Then I probably would calm down and watch a lot of Manziel highlights. And eventually I'll get over it, because I'm just a fan and the current regime knows what it's doing.

A first round QB is definitely at the bottom of my list of "wants", but if they feel like Manziel is the right pick, I guess I'm all for it. Nothing I can do but hope they are right.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams drafted Manziel, I would be very frustrated for a few days, maybe a week. Then I probably would calm down and watch a lot of Manziel highlights. And eventually I'll get over it, because I'm just a fan and the current regime knows what it's doing.

A first round QB is definitely at the bottom of my list of "wants", but if they feel like Manziel is the right pick, I guess I'm all for it. Nothing I can do but hope they are right.

If they made that move, I'd lose a lot of confidence in that being true.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Just watch Jeremiah on NFLC. The poor guy has nothing left to say. He's been doing the same boring mock draft over and over for the past 2 months.

Fisher and Snead can say they are sticking with Bradford a million times, but some unnamed sources with no credibility throw it out there that the Rams like Manziel and it becomes headlines.

I need to take a break from all this minutia.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Draft is one of my favorite times of the year. If the Rams did that, I'd immediately stop caring about the rest of their picks and basically pretend they don't exist for the next couple days. Not going to ruin my enjoyment of the Draft. After the Draft ended, then I'd let my anger out. :LOL:

That's why I ask for the Scotch (single malt) and call my lovely wife of 23 years to come and get me. Please LMK jrry if this is a distinct possibility? In all your mocks you never had the Rams taking Manziel...In the words of Vincent Thomas Lombardi..."What the hell's going on out here?"

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Me after the Rams draft Johnny Football
mad_men_don_draper_bar_a_l.jpg

Alan

Legend
This is my favorite part:
"latest talk in NFL personnel circles"
upload_2014-4-21_21-43-13.jpeg I can't make out which one is Snisher. :bueller: