Jenkins and Mcleod miscommunication

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well it was right after the game and it is possible that after reviewing it they felt differently. It looked to me like both JJ and McLeod should have been covering the receiver on that play.

Debacled

Starter
That's hard to believe. It appeared to me that McLeod crashed down on Welker running a dig when Welker was well accounted for. If Jenkins was going to have to run with Sanders, he was going to be in poor position because of the technique on the play.

But I can't really argue with Fisher on a Rams defensive scheme.
My brother mentioned the same thing to me.

I still think Jenkins crossed some wires somewhere and either misheard or didn't know the playcall

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The miscommunication was similar to the one on the Robinson sack play. It is a young team. I expect Rodney to stop making those mistakes, but if Fisher is admitting to coaching mistake I can only think they called an overly aggressive play. Rodney bit thinking he'd have a big play; this happening the same time Janoris peeled off thinking he might see a big play. This was a misread, mis-diagnosed play in the game. . . One of the only ones. This defense played extremely well.

Although I am in the wagon of put Joyner at FS and move Mcloed. I truly believe Mcloed played a pretty great game. The one blown coverage of course, but he was all over the field - to the same degree as Mcdonald and Olgeltree

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The miscommunication was similar to the one on the Robinson sack play. It is a young team. I expect Rodney to stop making those mistakes, but if Fisher is admitting to coaching mistake I can only think they called an overly aggressive play. Rodney bit thinking he'd have a big play; this happening the same time Janoris peeled off thinking he might see a big play. This was a misread, mis-diagnosed play in the game. . . One of the only ones. This defense played extremely well.

Although I am in the wagon of put Joyner at FS and move Mcloed. I truly believe Mcloed played a pretty great game. The one blown coverage of course, but he was all over the field - to the same degree as Mcdonald and Olgeltree

I'm very, very happy with this defense, so don't want to come across as Debbie Downer here. But fact is Fish mentioned a couple other blown coverages, so we are probably fortunate that Payton was rattled. Two more TD passes, or even one of them earlier in the game, and the balance of the whole game changes.

Fast forward to San Diego... They are very well coached offensively and Rivers knows what he's doing. Two or three blown coverages by our defense may mean a loss there, so as happy as I am right now about the defense I am concerned that the Chargers will be able to exploit the aggressiveness they will see on tape.

I really want to see this team finish above .500 this season. It's probably dumb, but it matters to me to have a winning record. So Imma be pi$$ed if they go into san dog and tank.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Both JJ and McLeod have had their good, bad and ugly moments this year.

However, even if that was Jenkins' man, isn't the job of the safety not to allow a man behind him??

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Both JJ and McLeod have had their good, bad and ugly moments this year.

However, even if that was Jenkins' man, isn't the job of the safety not to allow a man behind him??

I think it depends. If its a 3-deep coverage, McLeod only has middle 1/3rd of the field, while Jenkins has left 1/3rd. Without knowing the call, we as fans can't really know who's at fault.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
I think it depends. If its a 3-deep coverage, McLeod only has middle 1/3rd of the field, while Jenkins has left 1/3rd. Without knowing the call, we as fans can't really know who's at fault.

that'd make sense, cuz JJ did the same against SF in our home game

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
That was odd yesterday. I don't know why Jenkins would be releasing someone to the safety. No one appeared to be coming into lower zone where he would rotate up. But it has been a problem where one or the other.....or maybe even both are missing their keys or not understanding their assignments. And it's happened more than once, so you know our opponents already have seen it on tape.

You're absolutely right. There was no one coming underneath, and no reason at all that Jenkins would just release Sanders. He was beat and then he just stopped running and then acted like it was McLeod's fault. Getting a little tired of JJ getting beat ... happens most games.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I said it before this game, I think JJ is better suited for the slot. I could be totally wrong. I'd like to at least see them try it, though. Jenkins gets burned too many times for my liking. Sure, he has his good moments but they aren't as game changing as his mistakes. Have Johnson and Gaines on the outside, JJ in the slot, Joyner at FS, and TJ Mac at SS. If JJ does make a mistake, at least it most likely wouldn't go for a TD like it usually does when he blows it. I think Joyner is better suited at FS, also.
I agree with this. I also think this will fit his style of making breaks on the ball. Playing the slot might allow him to undercut routes and get his hands on more balls. I could be totally off-base but just some thoughts...

V3

Hall of Fame
I agree with this. I also think this will fit his style of making breaks on the ball. Playing the slot might allow him to undercut routes and get his hands on more balls. I could be totally off-base but just some thoughts...
Exactly, and if he does try a risky move and is wrong, there's less likelihood that it'll result in a TD like that have been on the outside. I'm pretty adamant about Joyner to FS, too. Maybe even more so than JJ to the slot.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Exactly, and if he does try a risky move and is wrong, there's less likelihood that it'll result in a TD like that have been on the outside. I'm pretty adamant about Joyner to FS, too. Maybe even more so than JJ to the slot.
I think Joyner is going to be a good player anywhere on the field...I think it's going to take him another season to really show it though.

One thing that I do like about our secondary is that there is versatility and the ability for a few guys to play in different positions.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think Joyner is going to be a good player anywhere on the field...I think it's going to take him another season to really show it though.

One thing that I do like about our secondary is that there is versatility and the ability for a few guys to play in different positions.
I personally think Joyner is too slow and not quick enough for slot. I've seen him trailing his guy by a good margin too many times for my liking. His height doesn't help, either. His instincts and effort will prevent him from failing but I don't think he'll ever be what I would call "good" at slot. He's looked much better at FS the few times I've seen him there.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Agree with trying JJ in the slot. He is becoming a liability on the outside from what I have seen. Got burned on a double move by Caldwell who was wide open for TD if Peyton had seen him and/or had time. there was another play where Welker AND Thomas were wide open in the middle of the field and Manning missed Thomas on the under route? Welker was alone near the goal line. Love how the defense is starting to hit its stride, but there are consistent blown coverage's that are disturbing.

RamWoodie

Legend
Just looking at how the play happened it seems McDonald was brought down into the box. I've watched the play a few times trying to figure it out. Jenkins was not in man coverage he was obviously in zone coverage. McCleod pulls up on the play...THAT'S WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! He was the lone safety...so I think he blew the coverage.