Jenkins and Mcleod miscommunication

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's always seems to be a breakdown between these two, doesn't it?

I don't think I've ever seen it be an issue between McLeod and another CB.

V3

Hall of Fame
I said it before this game, I think JJ is better suited for the slot. I could be totally wrong. I'd like to at least see them try it, though. Jenkins gets burned too many times for my liking. Sure, he has his good moments but they aren't as game changing as his mistakes. Have Johnson and Gaines on the outside, JJ in the slot, Joyner at FS, and TJ Mac at SS. If JJ does make a mistake, at least it most likely wouldn't go for a TD like it usually does when he blows it. I think Joyner is better suited at FS, also.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
That was odd yesterday. I don't know why Jenkins would be releasing someone to the safety. No one appeared to be coming into lower zone where he would rotate up. But it has been a problem where one or the other.....or maybe even both are missing their keys or not understanding their assignments. And it's happened more than once, so you know our opponents already have seen it on tape.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Our secondary has the potential to be very good but they do have to fix a couple of things. Jenkins biting and getting burned is probably the biggest problem in the secondary right now.But once they fix that and just gel more they will be scary good,games like Denver will be the norm.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Don't know - looked like it was cover 3 - and the safety's responsibility is middle of the field deep there. Jenkins was playing the deep left sideline so the guy who caught it should have been covered by McLeod. Impossible to say really without looking at it again (and knowing the call!).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still think, from watching the play, why was McLeod slowing down? OK, I get it was JJ's man. But don't all players fly to the ball?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's always seems to be a breakdown between these two, doesn't it?

I don't think I've ever seen it be an issue between McLeod and another CB.

No. The John Brown TD that gave the Cardinals the lead was almost the exact same play and it was between Trumaine Johnson and Rodney McLeod.

McLeod has a tendency to get caught peeking in the back-field and freelance when playing the deep middle. And some QBs make him pay for it. He has a nasty habit of getting caught out of position. Off the top of my head, it's cost us at least 6 TDs over the past two years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's hard to know whose fault it was without knowing the call. I do suspect that one was McLeod, but wouldn't surprise me if it was Jenks. I'm guessing Fish will give us a hint at least at some point.

There were also the blown coverages alluded to by Fish before that Payton didn't see, as well. Who were responsible for those?

As Joyner returns from his groin injury it'll be interesting to see who ends up the 4th CB. I'm with V3 on this one: Jenks' mental mistakes more than make up for his ball skills for the most part. I am sure Williams sees him as a potential shutdown CB if he can get those fixed, but given the play of the other corners Jenks may find himself slipping down the chart if the mistakes continue.

My guess is that by the end of the season our top three CBs are Gaines, Johnson, Joyner. For purposes of consistency alone. If not, it will mean Jenks fixed those tendencies.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I said it before this game, I think JJ is better suited for the slot. I could be totally wrong. I'd like to at least see them try it, though. Jenkins gets burned too many times for my liking. Sure, he has his good moments but they aren't as game changing as his mistakes. Have Johnson and Gaines on the outside, JJ in the slot, Joyner at FS, and TJ Mac at SS. If JJ does make a mistake, at least it most likely wouldn't go for a TD like it usually does when he blows it. I think Joyner is better suited at FS, also.
I just have a gut feeling this is a McLeod problem with the constant coverage drop. just cus as a starting veteran CB shoukd know exactly what his coverage is whether he likes to gamble or not. Always thought they should try Joyner at FS. JJ in the slot could be good. They should rotate all 3 CBs to match up with certain recievers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard to know whose fault it was without knowing the call. I do suspect that one was McLeod, but wouldn't surprise me if it was Jenks. I'm guessing Fish will give us a hint at least at some point.

There were also the blown coverages alluded to by Fish before that Payton didn't see, as well. Who were responsible for those?

As Joyner returns from his groin injury it'll be interesting to see who ends up the 4th CB. I'm with V3 on this one: Jenks' mental mistakes more than make up for his ball skills for the most part. I am sure Williams sees him as a potential shutdown CB if he can get those fixed, but given the play of the other corners Jenks may find himself slipping down the chart if the mistakes continue.

My guess is that by the end of the season our top three CBs are Gaines, Johnson, Joyner. For purposes of consistency alone. If not, it will mean Jenks fixed those tendencies.

No chance. Joyner should be playing FS, anyways.

V3

Hall of Fame

I really don't even think you need to know. I remember watching JJ and saw him almost stop running(2nd QTR, 2:22, about the 25 yd line). Why would he do that? There was a guy like 10-15 yards away from him that cut to the middle of the field but there was no way he should have been concerned with that guy so why stop covering his initial guy? McLeod probably should have been back there for support but JJ shouldn't have stopped running with his guy, either. It was a brain fart on JJ's part, which is nothing new for him. That's what it looked like to me, anyways.

Slushy

UDFA
Actually, Coach Fisher (on the Jeff Fisher Show) just said that it was the Coaches' fault for that blown coverage. The way they were coached in covering those routes and such.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I say we go full Seattle in the secondary.

S - Mark Barron
S - Mo Alexander
CB TJ McDonald
CB Trumaine Johnson

Press corners and 2 deep S on every play. We can bring in McLeod and Joyner for nickel and dime packages.

#1 rule, nobody makes a catch without getting hit, doesn't matter how far out of bounds they are.
#2 rule, unlimited bumping (and nudges and arm bars), the refs will eventually tire of throwing flags.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Actually, Coach Fisher (on the Jeff Fisher Show) just said that it was the Coaches' fault for that blown coverage. The way they were coached in covering those routes and such.

And this is why players like playing for Fisher. He doesn't throw them under the bus. Unless your name is Armstrong and you consistently due stupid penalties.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Not a football expert but that receiver was the only guy on that side of the field and Jenkins was covering him. Not sure why he decided to just stand there without another Denver player within 20 yards of him. I think Jenkins should have been glued to that guy.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. The John Brown TD that gave the Cardinals the lead was almost the exact same play and it was between Trumaine Johnson and Rodney McLeod.

McLeod has a tendency to get caught peeking in the back-field and freelance when playing the deep middle. And some QBs make him pay for it. He has a nasty habit of getting caught out of position. Off the top of my head, it's cost us at least 6 TDs over the past two years.

Ah, forgot about that one. McLeod. I like him, but we could upgrade.

Penguin.

Rookie
Rodney is not that great. He has some big hits, but I'd rather have Baron playing his position. I bet Baron won't peek that much.

Debacled

Starter
Looked like a man/zone mix up on Jenkin's part. Regardless McLeod should know better than to let guys get behind him when playing deep.

I may be mis-remembering plays, but on that particular play I think I remember Jenkins being somewhat animated on his side of the field as if he were in the dark about the play call.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the initial pressed Fisher said that he was told it was Jenkins man.

That's hard to believe. It appeared to me that McLeod crashed down on Welker running a dig when Welker was well accounted for. If Jenkins was going to have to run with Sanders, he was going to be in poor position because of the technique on the play.

But I can't really argue with Fisher on a Rams defensive scheme.