Jeff Fisher...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like the "bend don't break" defense. I prefer don't bend, don't break. I think its a bit simplistic to suggest we let teams work between the 20's on purpose - the guys are trying to make plays and get off the field - they just haven't done it consistently yet.
I've always wondered how much of the "bend" part is mental... human nature might suggest that, once things get more critical (in the red zone), the intensity and focus gets jacked up? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

It's kinda like when you have a decent lead... you tend to relax too much.

Hard to maintain the necessary effort all game long, I suppose.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I noticed more snaps where the dbs moved up a little closer than usual. Which I liked in some cases. The big concern is playing bend but don't break has not worked against the Packers in the past and is not likely to work now. Rodgers is far too accurate and knows the offense like his own biography. If they let him sniff the red zone he is going to be tough to stop.

Getting to him early will be big. His receivers are banged up so maybe the Rams can keep them off of their game and rattle Rodgers.

I hope there is a better plan against the Packers. My wife is a Packer fan first, Rams fan second and I am tired of losing this game in front of her.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I've always wondered how much of the "bend" part is mental... human nature might suggest that, once things get more critical (in the red zone), the intensity and focus gets jacked up? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

It's kinda like when you have a decent lead... you tend to relax too much.

Hard to maintain the necessary effort all game long, I suppose.

Yeah I guess it is difficult to go 100% all the time - you'll get exhausted quicker by doing so. The fact is of course that the red zone is easier to defend because the field is shorter, the gaps become smaller so you can play more cover 2 rather than cover 3 and man. I don't know but I can't imagine GW saying "ok guys don't worry - we'll let them move the ball on us here - get a couple of first downs and then tighten up in the RZ - so I'm going to call a shit play here". I imagine they're trying their best to make them go 3 and out so as to give our offense more field position, time of possession and to wear down their defense - its just not really happening yet until they get into the RZ where as I say, it becomes a bit easier to cover.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think after last season, Fish really wanted to grind Arians fat ass into a pulp. Maybe that is why he was not happy. Either way, I hope he now wants to grind McCarthy's fat ass into a fine pulp.

Fixed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's hard to argue with the final results the last two games but the bend but don't break defense is really frustrating to watch and it sure felt like we were flirting with disaster both games. I would also like to see TA get six or seven punt return chances a game instead of zero.

Remember when we had the "bend but don't score offense" the last couple of years under Martz?

Go roaring up and down the field until you hit the red zone, the sputter, then have Wilkins kick a FG. The one year I predicted he would break the record for most FG's in a season..........and he did. :(

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
The fact is of course that the red zone is easier to defend because the field is shorter, the gaps become smaller so you can play more cover 2 rather than cover 3 and man.

This is exactly it! Less space to work with means the defense can control the space more effectively. DB's don't have to get deep in coverage.

Remember when we had the "bend but don't score offense" the last couple of years under Martz?

Go roaring up and down the field until you hit the red zone

I seem to remember early in the Martz years, the team would take a penalty when in the red zone, mostly holding. The extra yards would allow the space to score on the very next play. I remember discussing that as a strategy with some of my friends back then. Of course, the Rams were well equipped with the offensive talent to do just that. As the talent deteriorated, the field goals took over.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thinking about it, I think that Rodgers carves up any zone we have, and destroys any blitz that we throw his way.

With Nelson sidelined and Adams hurt, their WRs aren't that great. I say come out and primarily play 2 man under, sprinkle in some man and zone blitzes to get creative...let's man up this offense across the board and see what we're made of.