Jeff Fisher...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has not seemed too happy after this win, and I LOVE it. Obviously upset about the loss of Tree, but to me it seems like he is pissed because he knows the offense and defense can play better.

I hope and think this is what the team needs. After games like Seattle this year and Denver last year, Fisher has seemed really pleased - and he's entitled to in those situations, nothing wrong with that. But after this game, I just got a different vibe from him....like, "yep, we won the game but we should have won by more".

Loved that he said the defense gave up too many big plays against the Cardinals - elite defenses get those under control, and I love that he's calling that out. He made a comment about how the plan was for GZ to kick 5 or 6 extra points against the Cardinals...it was kind of an off the cuff comment, but stepping back and looking at everything, I think he expected us to blow them out and is upset that we didn't - and again, I LOVE that.

I think all our biggest fear at this point is that we have another "Redskins" game after this big win, and while losing to GB doesn't mean anything, getting our doors blown off would give us that all too familiar feeling.

I think with this attitude it will help the team turn the corner.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Loved that he said the defense gave up too many big plays against the Cardinals - elite defenses get those under control, and I love that he's calling that out.
Exactly...450 yards is too fucking much....Fisher knows that....Our defense needs to get it's act together on 3rd downs....Think teams are converting 50% on 3rd downs....Without Tree flying all over the place, shit man....I like Ayers...but I love me some Tree...Tree & Ayers in 2016.....TJ Mac at free safety in 2016....Damn near in mock draft mode and we about to win the division! Damn, it feels good to have a fucking competitive team again!!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The "bend but don't break" defense is hard on the ticker, for sure.

Kinda like playing Russian Roulette... sooner or later, it can be deadly.

So, I'm hoping for more three and outs from the defense. Let's not let them get into the red zone before we stop them.

There probably wouldn't be too much shame in losing to Green Bay in Green Bay.

But getting blown out? Yeah, it'd call into question how good we might be (again).

Looking for another tough game where they give Green Bay all they can handle... and maybe even sneak out a "W". (y)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, I also liked how he said in the post game speech that he had told the team that they could be good, but they aren't there yet. Need to keep getting better...or something to that effect.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I got that feeling too, and - while I like that attitude and the win - to me it sounds like the same ole Jeff Fisher.

Last week I was ready to can Fisher and now I just don't know. We've always played well within our division under Jeff and that's what he and Snead came in here to do, but I just have a hard time understanding why we lose to less talented teams. Unless we're better than 8-8 at the end of this season, I still think we should move on. It might be an unpopular opinion, but it's just my 2 cents.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Personally I don't care how many yards an opponent gets between the 20's, as long as they're kept out of the end-zone, and held to a FG or less we can't Lose!(y):D

A55VA6

Legend
I see Fisher's vision for this team, and obviously it's going to be hard to reach that level... but I believe it can happen. I just wish people would quit saying "Fire Fisher" after a loss. Are we really going to find someone better out there? Doubt it. Why ruin the team Fisher is building? There's going to be bumps and inconsistencies with a young team.. but as they grow together - the inconsistencies will hopefully go away and we'll have ourselves a great team.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Personally I don't care how many yards an opponent gets between the 20's, as long as they're kept out of the end-zone, and held to a FG or less we can't Lose!(y):D
Yes the huge part is holding them to FGs, but I think this somewhat glosses over the field position battle and the value of giving the Rams offense some short fields.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes the huge part is holding them to FGs, but I think this somewhat glosses over the field position battle and the value of giving the Rams offense some short fields.
True enough! I wasn't looking at it from that angle,but your right!

…..

Legend
Nice read on Fisher. He showed a swagger in his post game comments that I wasn't expecting.

Its nice to see him win, we get less busllshit out of him when he isn't against the wall trying to figure out how to explain what went wrong.. I think his post game comments are more personality based this week.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My thoughts on the yardage given up by our D vs Cards...

Part of it is scheme related. The soft cushion bend but don't break philosophy. It's GW's pick your poison decision. And it's worked effectively against both the Steelers and Cards. Two high scoring O's prior to playing us. Hard to argue against the decision, considering the results.

The other part is that our O didn't even BEGIN to do their damned job until the mid 3rd quarter on. That adds unnecessary extra pressure on an increasingly tired D.

When considered in light of the above, 450 yards doesn't seem so surprising, does it?

And 34 combined points to the Steelers and Cards would have seemed pretty danged good if offered before the games were actually played, don't you think? I know I would have been all over that. Lol.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I feel ya Dave, but at some point, good teams(NE & Packers & a lot with good QB play) will break through & score..At some point, the defense will wear down...You've got to play a style of ball that minimizes an offenses ability to strike...Not give them consecutive chances to score...Bendy but dont' breaky is playing NOT TO LOSE, instead of attacking and trying TO WIN! And we have the talent to stop teams cold...any team...we need to be more aggressive like our top players...JJ, Tru, TJ Mac, Barron, and all those D-Linemen...and sadly, one of our best, Ogletree...Shouldn't have even been on the field on that play...Shoulda been a 3 and out.

I think there is a time for all defenses...mix it up...but with veteran QB's...attack with all that talent...Get your guys off the field...Get the O some snaps to get in a rhythm...Bendy but don't breaky is for rookie or young QB's, that are prone to make mistakes....

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel ya Dave, but at some point, good teams(NE & Packers & a lot with good QB play) will break through & score..At some point, the defense will wear down...You've got to play a style of ball that minimizes an offenses ability to strike...Not give them consecutive chances to score...Bendy but dont' breaky is playing NOT TO LOSE, instead of attacking and trying TO WIN! And we have the talent to stop teams cold...any team...we need to be more aggressive like our top players...JJ, Tru, TJ Mac, Barron, and all those D-Linemen...and sadly, one of our best, Ogletree...Shouldn't have even been on the field on that play...Shoulda been a 3 and out.

I think there is a time for all defenses...mix it up...but with veteran QB's...attack with all that talent...Get your guys off the field...Get the O some snaps to get in a rhythm...Bendy but don't breaky is for rookie or young QB's, that are prone to make mistakes....

This.

Fisher himself said we allowed way too many explosive plays. The announcers were gushing over our defense, but the truth is, the only thing we did well was turn the ball over.

Our redzone defense was good, but if a team gets into the redzone 7 times and kicks field goals every time, it's the same as giving up 3 TDs, which is just league average. For this offense to be successful we need to force more punts and get better field position.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think after last season, Fish really wanted to grind Arians fat ass into a pulp. Maybe that is why he was not happy. Either way, I hope he now wants to grind McCarthy's ass into a fine pulp.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
It's hard to argue with the final results the last two games but the bend but don't break defense is really frustrating to watch and it sure felt like we were flirting with disaster both games. I would also like to see TA get six or seven punt return chances a game instead of zero.

Last edited:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't like the "bend don't break" defense. I prefer don't bend, don't break. I think its a bit simplistic to suggest we let teams work between the 20's on purpose - the guys are trying to make plays and get off the field - they just haven't done it consistently yet.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like the "bend don't break" defense. I prefer don't bend, don't break. I think its a bit simplistic to suggest we let teams work between the 20's on purpose - the guys are trying to make plays and get off the field - they just haven't done it consistently yet.

it's particularly frustrating on 3rd and longs. someone cover someoone.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
it's particularly frustrating on 3rd and longs. someone cover someoone.

That's usually because we send the house on 3rd and long.

In some ways you can't argue because we're second in the league in sacks (or something like that).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's usually because we send the house on 3rd and long.

In some ways you can't argue because we're second in the league in sacks (or something like that).

i've seen them send the house , i've seen them rush 3, still get a 1st down.

it's hard to complain because the results in 3 games this season speak for themselves but damn i would like to see some 3 and outs.

Rainram

Starter
And giving our deadly punt returner more great opportunities. How many punt returns has Tavon had in the past couple games?