Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone is yelling at me, I must be thinking of a different play.

Check the edit on my post. The play is above. Quinn had him beat and he kept Quinn from disengaging by holding onto him by the collar under his neck and chin.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone is yelling at me, I must be thinking of a different play.

Check the edit on my post. The play is above. Quinn had him beat and he kept Quinn from disengaging by holding onto him by the collar under his neck and chin. Watch the second replay. You can see Staley's hand inside Quinn's collar restricting his ability to break free after he beats him around the corner. It's definitely not legal.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

fearsomefour

Legend
Check the edit on my post. The play is above. Quinn had him beat and he kept Quinn from disengaging by holding onto him by the collar under his neck and chin. Watch the second replay. You can see Staley's hand inside Quinn's collar restricting his ability to break free after he beats him around the corner. It's definitely not legal.
Quinn turned the corner and Staley had his hand inside the body....did he grab him? Of course. Is that going to get called? Probably not. The video you posted wasnt playing, but, watching the recording at home (not as close) if his hand is grabbing the jersey, not a hold because of the position inside the body, grabbing the collar, yes.
As an aside, the terrible call (of course) was the phantom PI on Cook. But if that is by design there much smarter ways to offset a big play, like a hold on a blocker.
Anyway, re watching the first half there was some good work there. Cook was good, gotta give him credit.
O line is still rough.
I swore this team off in total disgust, but, I feel myself backing off from the edge.
Like a crack head back to the pipe by Sunday Im sure.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn turned the corner and Staley had his hand inside the body....did he grab him? Of course. Is that going to get called? Probably not. The video you posted wasnt playing, but, watching the recording at home (not as close) if his hand is grabbing the jersey, not a hold because of the position inside the body, grabbing the collar, yes.
As an aside, the terrible call (of course) was the phantom PI on Cook. But if that is by design there much smarter ways to offset a big play, like a hold on a blocker.
Anyway, re watching the first half there was some good work there. Cook was good, gotta give him credit.
O line is still rough.
I swore this team off in total disgust, but, I feel myself backing off from the edge.
Like a crack head back to the pipe by Sunday Im sure.

Click the link under the video. It'll play.

It is legal to grab a defender inside his shoulders so long as when he gets by you, you let him go. However, it is not legal to hold a guy back by the collar after he gets around you which is why Staley did. Quinn was even with him with Kaepernick directly in front of him. As Quinn got around Staley, Staley dragged him away from Quinn by refusing to let go of his grip inside of Quinn's collar on his shoulder pads.

fearsomefour

Legend
Click the link under the video. It'll play.

It is legal to grab a defender inside his shoulders so long as when he gets by you, you let him go. However, it is not legal to hold a guy back by the collar after he gets around you which is why Staley did. Quinn was even with him with Kaepernick directly in front of him. As Quinn got around Staley, Staley dragged him away from Quinn by refusing to let go of his grip inside of Quinn's collar on his shoulder pads.
Yep, hold-a-rama.
The only one on the recording I have is the original play and a replay from the same angle....the replay from behind is not on my DVR, although, it was glitchy and weird through the whole game. Anyway, holding is the most frustrating part of all this penalty nonsense to me....it is so randomly enforced, the Rams certainly are not getting calls. The whole thing is maddening.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Fisher deserves one more season, without being held back with bradfords killer contract. if he can make it close to the playoffs and we are respectable (at least 8 wins) keep him. if not, thank you....but it's time to part ways.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The worst part to me is "Paul" Williams nonsensical defensive play calling.
If you were playing the Rams how many double move a game would you run on JJ? 10?

Double moves take time to develop. And I don't think Jenkins is as bad about biting on them as some believe. He just makes some awful decisions at the worst times.

fearsomefour

Legend
Double moves take time to develop. And I don't think Jenkins is as bad about biting on them as some believe. He just makes some awful decisions at the worst times.
Obviously I am exaggerating about constant double moves....you are probably right about JJ. I think he senses a "moment" sometimes and makes poor choices. That said, I still like JJ and think he brings a lot to the table. Just, man, is it ugly when he bites....It will certainly be interesting to see the Dback field when Tru comes back. The future looks pretty bright with this group over all.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Well, he should have had some safety help given the time left in the half and the 49er's position on the field.... that's on Williams.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He should have known he didn't have help and played it straight. That's a lack of situational awareness. They go over that stuff in HS. Williams called a rotten play, but that's no excuse for a mental breakdown. IMO

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
He should have known he didn't have help and played it straight. That's a lack of situational awareness. They go over that stuff in HS. Williams called a rotten play, but that's no excuse for a mental breakdown. IMO
Kaeperdick would have never had time to throw the ball had Quinn not been grabbed and held by the collar. I don't think it's fair to review this stuff in isolation. The whole environment has to be viewed and considered.

Bottom line, if the NFL wasn't exercising a plan to squash the Rams, whether it's Goodhell's psychopathy or some plan around L.A., then we wouldn't be talking about any of this as the 49ers would have never had the ball again before the end of the half.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Kaeperdick would have never had time to throw the ball had Quinn not been grabbed and held by the collar. I don't think it's fair to review this stuff in isolation. The whole environment has to be viewed and considered.

Bottom line, if the NFL wasn't exercising a plan to squash the Rams, whether it's Goodhell's psychopathy or some plan around L.A., then we wouldn't be talking about any of this as the 49ers would have never had the ball again before the end of the half.

This is true, but none of that excuses JJs stupid play. Just because some holding occured doesn't change the fact.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Honestly it was a hold, but a smart one and one that a ref will almost never see. Every sport sees stuff like this that happens "bangbangbang" that gives one guy an edge and the refs don't see it.

If you think that nobody on the Rams OL does this when they are on the verge of losing a guy while blocking you're kidding yourself.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is true, but none of that excuses JJs stupid play. Just because some holding occured doesn't change the fact.

What gets me is is wasn't even that good of a move! All he did was stutter step and JJ bit on that!

Turrible!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
What gets me is is wasn't even that good of a move! All he did was stutter step and JJ bit on that!

Turrible!

I'm really thinking it's JJ that needs to give way when True comes back, not Gaines. Fisher has been the player's coach, there hasn't been a lot of consequence for repeated mistakes since he came. I think that serves him well with some players, but others seem to never mature.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
The Jackrabbit is the best DB in a talented STL backfield, young, but talented. Yes, he got beat on a play (horrible decision) on Monday night. But, every DB in the NFL gets beat.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

If I was to subscribe to a league sponsored "plan" it would be against Williams not the Rams ,and the one thing that derails that in my mind is the enormity of financial loss if they got caught red handed ,the lawsuits from season ticket holders claiming fraud , all their tax breaks would be taken away.
The risk vs. the reward paradigm just doesn't compute for me.
With all the concussion litigation the abuse issues adding the need to cover fixing games just doesn't make sense.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm really thinking it's JJ that needs to give way when True comes back, not Gaines. Fisher has been the player's coach, there hasn't been a lot of consequence for repeated mistakes since he came. I think that serves him well with some players, but others seem to never mature.

Jenkins needs to know when to take that risk and when not to and that was NOT the time for a gamble. Yeah safety help would have been nice but the only reason we are talking about no safety help is because he got juked big time.