Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Speeps

Starter
I want to preface this by saying I am a Jeff Fisher fan.

However, I have a theory (that could be entirely wrong, so I welcome feedback). I think Jeff Fishers coddling style sends the wrong message to his team. For example, Fisher likes moral victories. He likes to go to the podium and say things like "man, I tell ya, these guys like to play." These kinds of statements may make the players feel like coach is satisfied with what we're doing, yet disappointed in the outcome. Especially, because the team is so young. Some players may feel, that im doing the right thing, im playing hard, therefore coach is happy, but he's just really mad that we lost. Yesterday was the first time where I saw him upset about the penalty situation which is good.

When thinking about this, I wanted to compare him to Pete Carroll, who for the most part takes the same approach as Jeff Fisher. However, I think there's a difference. I think Pete is a lot less patient than Fisher. Carroll structures his team around competition. They compete every day, very hard in practice. Fisher doesn't have that same mold. If anything Fisher walks on the side of caution, and wants to get his players to game day, which may hinder development, and may not be getting the most out of his players.

So basically, I'm not saying Fisher's coaching style is wrong, my point is, his coaching style may be attributing to the overarching problem of this team beating themselves. I think he unintentionally sends the message that "mediocrity" is okay. I could be completely wrong, and I want to hear your opinions on this, but it's just something that I was thinking about.

Alan

Legend
I'm not and never have been. But he's our coach so...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, I think he needs to adapt. I started to question when he said he'd close TC if the team managed to go penalty free, he was basically rewarding them on if they could do something that they have no been capable of at any point. I feel like that's a bad idea, instead of punishing them, letting them know this is unacceptable and won't be tolerated, you sugarcoat it and say darn, it's bad, but if you do good you'll get a reward.

There's no conflict, you do it you get out of TC, if you don't, you go and do what you were supposed to anyways. There's no real punishment.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I think he unintentionally sends the message that "mediocrity" is okay.

I bet every single Rams coach and player would roll their eyes over this statement. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but none of us here at ROD has access to the Rams locker room before, during, or after games and practices, and know what's really going on.

After a mediocre showing against the Vikings, the Rams beat the Bucs on the road and then put a scare into both the Cowboys and the Eagles, who now have a combined 8-2 record. Nothing mediocre about that.

That said, what bothers me is the continuous boneheaded penalties and the head-shaking missed assignments on defense. That's on Fisher and his staff.

Speeps

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bet every single Rams coach and player would roll their eyes over this statement. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but none of us here at ROD has access to the Rams locker room before, during, or after games and practices, and know what's really going on.

After a mediocre showing against the Vikings, the Rams beat the Bucs on the road and then put a scare into both the Cowboys and the Eagles, who now have a combined 8-2 record. Nothing mediocre about that.

That said, what bothers me is the continuous boneheaded penalties and the head-shaking missed assignments on defense. That's on Fisher and his staff.
You're completely right, I don't have complete information, just as you don't have enough information to say i'm wrong. The only thing I'm basing this off of is what I've seen through his pressers and reports coming from our insiders. Based on that, I do believe he unintentionally sends the message that mediocrity is okay(which I could be wrong and hope that I am). Fisher is fine with moral victories. In fact, we as fans are accepting mediocrity,because here we are preaching that we put a scare into the cowboys and eagles, not that we beat them.

I like Fisher. I really do, but the mistakes that continue to plague this team baffles me.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He needs pre-'99 Dick Vermeil to come in and kick some ass. Remember how we sucked until Vermeil toned down the intensity a bit?

Speeps

Starter
Look like I got what I wanted, Ray Ray Armstrong CUT!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Fisher is fine with moral victories.

See this is where I don't agree. You don't know this to be a fact. He could be throwing chairs around in the locker room after a game and screaming "I'm sick of losing!" It doesn't fit the personality he exhibits to the media or on the sidelines but no one knows for sure. The man has millions riding on a contract extension and he doesn't care whether he wins or loses? Really?

Speeps

Starter
See this is where I don't agree. You don't know this to be a fact. He could be throwing chairs around in the locker room after a game and screaming "I'm sick of losing!" It doesn't fit the personality he exhibits to the media or on the sidelines but no one knows for sure. The man has millions riding on a contract extension and he doesn't care whether he wins or loses? Really?
I never said he doesn't care about losing. I just made the statement that Fisher is ok with moral victories and that is completely accurate. Listen to his pressers. He is obviously not happy with losing.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
So basically, I'm not saying Fisher's coaching style is wrong, my point is, his coaching style may be attributing to the overarching problem of this team beating themselves. I think he unintentionally sends the message that "mediocrity" is okay. I could be completely wrong, and I want to hear your opinions on this, but it's just something that I was thinking about.

I can see where this is easy to say, but I think another part of the problem with the team shooting themselves in the foot is the fact that we have had the youngest roster in the league the last three years. There's been very few real proven veterans to help show the youngsters along and teach them what is necessary to win. This means young players are getting thrown into the fire and they're being required to figure it out on their own as they go.

Like Fisher has said, being young isn't an excuse, and I don't want it to be, but I'm going to give Fisher the benefit of the doubt on this one. No way am I ready to move on just yet.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Also, look at the teams who are consistently successful. They have one thing in common, they aren't constantly hiring a new head coach. Packers, Saints, Broncos, Steelers (not as much recently), Patriots, etc. Teams go through rough points and the Rams sure as hell have gone through theirs the last decade. We have a knowledgeable head coach who is working on getting us turned around. I know it sucks to wait and wait and wait for us to be relevant again, but that's pretty much where we're at. I think pressing the reset button again would be the wrong move.

Speeps

Starter
I can see where this is easy to say, but I think another part of the problem with the team shooting themselves in the foot is the fact that we have had the youngest roster in the league the last three years. There's been very few real proven veterans to help show the youngsters along and teach them what is necessary to win. This means young players are getting thrown into the fire and they're being required to figure it out on their own as they go.

Like Fisher has said, being young isn't an excuse, and I don't want it to be, but I'm going to give Fisher the benefit of the doubt on this one. No way am I ready to move on just yet.
You are exactly correct with this. Good point. Too add to this, Seahawks too are a young team, and they are also heavily penalized as well.

I too want Fisher to stay, and like you said stability is important. I just want to see this team get it's act together.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
I just want to see this team get it's act together.

I feel you man, I think that's how most of us feel. It's tough rooting for a team that's been so crummy for so long. Just remember that it can only get better. We're getting close. Eventually the light bulb will come on and we're gonna be one badass team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Also, look at the teams who are consistently successful. They have one thing in common, they aren't constantly hiring a new head coach. Packers, Saints, Broncos, Steelers (not as much recently), Patriots, etc. Teams go through rough points and the Rams sure as hell have gone through theirs the last decade. We have a knowledgeable head coach who is working on getting us turned around. I know it sucks to wait and wait and wait for us to be relevant again, but that's pretty much where we're at. I think pressing the reset button again would be the wrong move.

Great post.

Fish has quirks that drive me nuts, but I love the guy. I think he's a very good head coach who has rebuilt this roster and is herding cats with the young guys to get them where they need to be. The fact he squeezed 7 wins out of the past two seasons while flipping a roster is impressive, but instead fans throw that out there against his overall record and call him mediocre.

He still may not get it done, but the fans calling for his head are ridiculous. He's a quality coach, an overall leader who gives this team some stability they need. He has taken enormous hits and held this team together, as they are playing competitive ball vs playoff teams despite losing their starting QB, DE, and CB.

Patience is still in order, IMO.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Great post.

Fish has quirks that drive me nuts, but I love the guy. I think he's a very good head coach who has rebuilt this roster and is herding cats with the young guys to get them where they need to be. The fact he squeezed 7 wins out of the past two seasons while flipping a roster is impressive, but instead fans throw that out there against his overall record and call him mediocre.

He still may not get it done, but the fans calling for his head are ridiculous. He's a quality coach, an overall leader who gives this team some stability they need. He has taken enormous hits and held this team together, as they are playing competitive ball vs playoff teams despite losing their starting QB, DE, and CB.

Patience is still in order, IMO.

Yeah man I agree with you. I say we let Fisher play out his contract and see where we're at after 5 years of rebuilding. By then we should all know whether Fisher is going to get us where we need to be or not.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I like the Ray Ray message Fisher sent about that kinda bullshit. but you know what I want from Fisher is to hold himself accountable for BOTH his coordinators and do something about it. EVERY SINGLE part of this team has come together on both sides of the ball at some time or another and straight out played. so if it cant come together all at the same time then thats on the goddamn coaches. BALANCE thats what I want plain and simple. fuck this blitzing bullshit. play them straight up with tight coverage and deep safeties and balanced linebackers stuffing the run. I want Walton style plain and simple and i want coverage sacks. On offense why the fuck did Schotty come out swinging like he thought he was the damn Denver Broncos not to mention completely leaving Davis unprotected Davis expected to read defenses like the great Omaha himself! Averaging 4.5 yards a carry why arent we running more THEN throwing??