Jeff Fisher - Year 3?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I will be the 1st to admit that I am greatly disappointed in the Rams current season. It really seems like the Rams have taken a step backwards this season but then I remembered what kind of a mess Jeff Fisher took over after the 2011 season and just maybe I was just too optimistic after last season's 7-8-1 record. Add to the fact that I think the Rams are the youngest (or, close to it) team in the NFL I don't guess it should be too surprising that the Rams are still going through some growing pains and it certainly didn't help the Rams (at least not in my opinion) when they lost Sam Bradford with a season ending injury.

With all that being said I do feel very optimistic about the Rams future and expect them to have a much improved 2014 season. I have no idea on what Jeff Fisher's timeline was to have the Rams back to being contending for the NFC West title but I am guessing Year 3 might be a good guess. If they are not contending for the NFC West Division title (Which, will be tough since it is a very, very tough division!) next season I do think at least they will be very competitive!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
What if both wild card teams in the NFC come from our division this year AND next we end up 8-8 or 9-7 next year ,whatcha think would be people's reaction then?
Cuz I think we may be looking at that very posibility

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
What if both wild card teams in the NFC come from our division this year AND next we end up 8-8 or 9-7 next year ,whatcha think would be people's reaction then?
This makes a lot of sense and I agree is a very real possibility.

All we can do is keep adding talent to the roster, coach the players and have them ready on Sundays. We're going to lose some games within the division regardless of how hard we play or how well prepared we are.

I'll have to stay away from the gameday threads because if that happens folks are going to implode.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
This makes a lot of sense and I agree is a very real possibility.

All we can do is keep adding talent to the roster, coach the players and have them ready on Sundays. We're going to lose some games within the division regardless of how hard we play or how well prepared we are.

I'll have to stay away from the gameday threads because if that happens folks are going to implode.
And IMO that implosion would be emotionally generated by failures not of Fishers making

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Every failure needs a scapegoat!
Yeah it does and this tailspin STARTED with or was at the least accelerated by a terrible organization finding the most competent man and firing his arse with Mike Martz ,i won't debate anyones opinions about Martz EXCEPT that WHEN he was fired he WAS the best man we had in that pathetic bunch.
I don't thin the "find the most competent man and fire him" paradigm is part of Stan's management style, so IMO Fisher has Stans REAL confidence and patience

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Yeah, I don't think knee jerk reactions or scapegoating are in Stan's makeup.

The blame game is more a manifestation of fan's need to hold someone responsible for failure in an attempt to find solutions that will help their team win every game. Even though that will never happen we'll keep on ferreting out the culprit(s) and hold their feet to the fire of public opinion. Won't change anything but it can be entertaining (or depressing when we're losing a lot) and we can't help ourselves anyway!

One of the luxuries of being a fan as opposed to actually being the one responsible for the product on the field.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Definitly looking forward to next year, as I was this one. It is always a drag to reach the end too soon and even though we have endured too many of them in the last decade I do believe this team is on the right track to prosperity.

A good off season and Sam recovering quickly and there will be a lot of good things to look forward to with this team in 2014. They may not win the division but it will not be out of the realm of possibility.

GO RAMS!!

A55VA6

Legend
I'm not going to get all high on the Rams next year like I usually do. Don't wanna be let down again. Maybe they'll surprise me and it'll be a fun year.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Fans get caught up on quick turnarounds. When other teams do it, they say why not us? Well unfortunately this organization has been sucking for a decade. It is hard to undo so many draft failures. Losing key players to injury also doesn't help. Fisher needs to stick with his plan and keep building through the draft. I trust him more because he has experience taking teams to the playoffs and superbowl. He signed a 5 year contract. Give him those 5 years and see where the team is at by then. Nothing would be more devastating to me then to go through yet ANOTHER rebuild with a new HC.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I will be the 1st to admit that I am greatly disappointed in the Rams current season. It really seems like the Rams have taken a step backwards this season but then I remembered what kind of a mess Jeff Fisher took over after the 2011 season and just maybe I was just too optimistic after last season's 7-8-1 record. Add to the fact that I think the Rams are the youngest (or, close to it) team in the NFL I don't guess it should be too surprising that the Rams are still going through some growing pains and it certainly didn't help the Rams (at least not in my opinion) when they lost Sam Bradford with a season ending injury.

With all that being said I do feel very optimistic about the Rams future and expect them to have a much improved 2014 season. I have no idea on what Jeff Fisher's timeline was to have the Rams back to being contending for the NFC West title but I am guessing Year 3 might be a good guess. If they are not contending for the NFC West Division title (Which, will be tough since it is a very, very tough division!) next season I do think at least they will be very competitive!

What troubles me is that our defense took a step backwards. So did our offense, but they get a "pass".

For him to keep his job the team has to make progress. I define progress; 1) better QB play (I'm not talking about Bradford, I'm talking about the position), and 2) a return to form for our defense.

If those 2 things don't happen we have serious problems... there can be no more "passes" at the year 3 point.

These are pretty minimal things. I don't want to go through yet another rebuild either.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What troubles me is that our defense took a step backwards. So did our offense, but they get a "pass".

For him to keep his job the team has to make progress. I define progress; 1) better QB play (I'm not talking about Bradford, I'm talking about the position), and 2) a return to form for our defense.

If those 2 things don't happen we have serious problems... there can be no more "passes" at the year 3 point.

These are pretty minimal things. I don't want to go through yet another rebuild either.

So, do you think Fisher might consider making any changes in his Offensive and/or Defensive Coordinators? I sure wish Rob Ryan would had stayed with the Rams!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So, do you think Fisher might consider making any changes in his Offensive and/or Defensive Coordinators? I sure wish Rob Ryan would had stayed with the Rams!
I do not think either of those coordinators will be changed. I believe those jobs are like everything else give them time to work and they will improve. There have still been a lot of changes and young players in the skill positions, LB and DBs.

I was disappointed with the defense but there are two rookies and UDFA starting and Finnegan stunk up the place.

On the offensive side Bradford was going to have a great season, TA has been improving, the running game has improved. Time to get some consistency and youth in the OLine and these guys will put up enough points to win every week.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
By all reports the regime was really eying 2014 as the year they make their move. As long as they continue their trek towards greatness I'm all aboard. I'll tell you this, this season kind of reminds me of 1998...the pieces are there, it's young, but coming together and then suddenly the team decides it's time to win. The amount of athletic talent on this team is very good. It's just allowing it to develop that everyone has been stubborn about. It's coming. The 1999 season...it's on the way. Just keep the faith. The talent is there, the coaching is there. It will happen.

Just like Vermiel knew he needed three years, so does Fisher. It's coming. Be prepared.

V3

Hall of Fame
With all the high picks and high priced FA investments this regime has had, the team should see the results by the 3rd year. I'm not saying Super Bowl but they should make the playoffs or be fighting for a spot in the last game. If it's still looking bad by the end of next season, Fisher's done in my book. I don't know what Stan will do but I will have made my mind up by then. Right now, I'm not going to say what I think next year will be like since we still have the draft and free agency period to go through. Next year is a MAJOR year for the Rams, IMO. I will have enough information to make judgments on the head coach, GM, position coaches, coordinators, and many players (namely Bradford).

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Walton has to go based on the regression of the defense. Fischer has even made some disparaging remarks about the defense, which is never a good sign for the coordinator in charge.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Anybody who expected us to be this black horse playoff contender that all the networks were going on about, I hate to tell you, but you're a shill that bought into their nonsense with no understanding of what happened to the team.

We were better than we were last year because we were still a relatively old team, we have veterans, people who could lead our rookies. After that we pretty much turned the whole team over, it's nothing but rookies and young guys almost everywhere. We've got people who can't lead anybody because they're too busy trying to lead themselves.

We're one of the youngest teams, both in average and in almost all our positions. This season was going to be an ugly, pitiful, unseemly learning experience and I really don't get why anybody thought otherwise.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

I agree that this is a very real possibility.
I say keep working and adding talent.
Because I think SF may fade further next year than they did this year. And yes, I think they've faded some this year.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Anybody who expected us to be this black horse playoff contender that all the networks were going on about, I hate to tell you, but you're a shill that bought into their nonsense with no understanding of what happened to the team.

We were better than we were last year because we were still a relatively old team, we have veterans, people who could lead our rookies. After that we pretty much turned the whole team over, it's nothing but rookies and young guys almost everywhere. We've got people who can't lead anybody because they're too busy trying to lead themselves.

We're one of the youngest teams, both in average and in almost all our positions. This season was going to be an ugly, pitiful, unseemly learning experience and I really don't get why anybody thought otherwise.

I'm not sure I understand.
Last year, we were the youngest team in the league just like this year.