Jeff Fisher: “We don’t want to turn this game into a Star Wars game”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/05/fisher-embraces-human-element-in-officiating/

Fisher embraces “human element” in officiating
Posted by Mike Florio on November 5, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptbhotu5ntc5mjbiztvjzgy1ztg3ognjytcymzgznjbj-e1446783328340.jpeg
AP

At a time when some are clamoring for the NFL to revolutionize the officiating function, with more technology and possibly fewer on-field officials, a key member of the NFL’s Competition Committee feels differently.

“I would actually lean and go in the other direction,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said on Thursday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio. “I would entertain and I think the league has entertained from an experimental standpoint the eighth official. We’re dealing with the human element in this game.

“When the quarterback makes the wrong decision and throws the ball across his body when he shouldn’t and the ball is intercepted, that’s a human element. And I think if we lose the human element in this game with respect to the officials then I think we lose the quality of our game. It’s very, very hard; their job is very hard. I mean, the game has changed. It’s fast . . . and we need to rely on them and so our feeling as a Committee is to do whatever we can to assist [V.P. of officiating] Dean [Blandino].

So we can become more consistent from crew to crew and week to week but knowing there’s always going to be decisions that are made that we’re going to disagree with, and that’s the good part for you guys because you guys get to talk about it every week.”

It definitely adds to the intrigue, the drama, and the controversy. But is that the kind of controversy the NFL wants?

Ideally, a system would be put in place to get all (or at least as many as possible) calls right. Technology could help get there, especially since the middle-aged human beings who officiate the game simply aren’t suited to process in real time the things that young, fast, large men wearing armor are doing — especially when the self-preservation instinct could make it harder for the officials to ignore the frenzy surrounding them and focus.

Still, the league is resisting a full embrace of technology.

“We don’t want to turn this game into a Star Wars game,” Fisher said.

There’s a balance between too much and too little technology. Ultimately, decisions should be based on striving to get every call right. While it’s fun to get salty over the latest bad call in a Monday night game, it would be more fun to have the games decided by the players and not by the folks in white and black stripes.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
^^^^ Booger is awful....just awful.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I have to hand it to Coach Fisher and his Challenge last week that was overturned. I thought I knew everything to do with the rules and wrote that off as a stupid ass challenge and realized I was the DUMBASS and he got us back the ball. Never seen a play like that before as it was cut and dried to Fisher.(Or someone upstairs on our team) I'll give Fisher the credit.

Fisher would prefer the Old West over Starwars in officiating DUH! shocker....

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

This is dead on. There's the human element, and then there's the team losing the SB to an obviously blown call, or a series of non calls as in our case.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I embraced replay when it came out, the yellow line thingy superimposed on the field by the networks, automatic reviews inside 2 minutes and so forth and so on. But I've kinda come full circle personally.

The game is too slow. There are way too many stops, breaks, reviews, etc. I don't think the NFL realizes that, simply because the fans keep coming back. But the goal should be to only have stops for advertising.

I realize some will point out that the reviews add drama. I'll concede that. But when you suffer through a game like we just saw vs SF... So painful man. That game was all about the refs and it shouldn't be. The refs should be in control, absolutely, but in the background ensuring the game moves well and fairly. Just my .02 fwiw.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think Fish is just stroking the refs' egos when he says this... he's trying to earn some extra credit with them. I hope it works.

I have got to believe that everyone wants to get the human error the hell OUT of officiating. Pretending that it is a good thing is ridiculous. We are getting to the point now with technology were the human error/bias can be completely eleminated and the officiating could actually be faster... was I the only one screaming at the TV last week because of the insane amount of time that Booger and Co. would take just to make a simple call. Those dim wits would huddle for minutes just to call an obvious offsides penalty... it was maddening.

Count me in the corner of reviewing everything if need be because I want the correct call every time. Even if it does slow the game down some.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I embraced replay when it came out, the yellow line thingy superimposed on the field by the networks, automatic reviews inside 2 minutes and so forth and so on. But I've kinda come full circle personally.

The game is too slow. There are way too many stops, breaks, reviews, etc. I don't think the NFL realizes that, simply because the fans keep coming back. But the goal should be to only have stops for advertising.

I realize some will point out that the reviews add drama. I'll concede that. But when you suffer through a game like we just saw vs SF... So painful man. That game was all about the refs and it shouldn't be. The refs should be in control, absolutely, but in the background ensuring the game moves well and fairly. Just my .02 fwiw.

Replacing bad officials like Booger rather than hurting teams due to blown calls would seem to me to be a better solution.
Automatic reviews seems pointless, I agree. If no side has an issue why act like there's an issue?

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
It is always bad when you get the big Booger!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have to hand it to Coach Fisher and his Challenge last week that was overturned. I thought I knew everything to do with the rules and wrote that off as a stupid ass challenge and realized I was the DUMBASS and he got us back the ball. Never seen a play like that before as it was cut and dried to Fisher.(Or someone upstairs on our team) I'll give Fisher the credit.

Fisher would prefer the Old West over Starwars in officiating DUH! shocker....

Yeah, I thought he would lose that challenge too. Shows how much I know.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
While it’s fun to get salty over the latest bad call in a Monday night game, it would be more fun to have the games decided by the players and not by the folks in white and black stripes.
"this^!!"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Fish is just stroking the refs' egos when he says this... he's trying to earn some extra credit with them. I hope it works.
Football can be like a Chess match at time! Got to plan 3 moves ahead!:shades:
I have got to believe that everyone wants to get the human error the hell OUT of officiating. Pretending that it is a good thing is ridiculous. We are getting to the point now with technology were the human error/bias can be completely eleminated and the officiating could actually be faster... was I the only one screaming at the TV last week because of the insane amount of time that Booger and Co. would take just to make a simple call. Those dim wits would huddle for minutes just to call an obvious offsides penalty... it was maddening.
" Maddening!?! IT drove me Bonkers!!!!":seizure:I could believe how long they where taking!!"