Jeff Fisher Stays Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay, y'all know that I'd prefer we move on but I figured I might as well create a mock that addresses what I'd hope would happen if Fisher stays.(because being honest, I think it's more likely he stays than goes) In this mock, Lynch and Goff are drafted before we pick. Alshon Jeffery is franchised. And the Steelers aren't willing to trade Markus Wheaton (the Steelers fans I know don't believe they'll trade him). Here's what I think we should do:
Hire
John DeFilippo OC

Rob Boras sticks around as runinng game coordinator but we bring in DeFilippo as the new OC and play-caller. I've been impressed with what he's done this year with the Browns. I think Pettine is fired at the end of this year. However, we'd be very smart to steal DeFilippo away if Pettine is let go. In his first year as OC, the Browns are currently #11 in passing yards per game and #15 in QB Rating despite the fact that coming into the year, most people thought they had no weapons and one of the NFL's worst QB situations. McCown and Manziel both have QB Ratings around 90, a journeyman TE named Gary Barnidge is on pace for 1000+ yards, and Travis Benjamin is also on pace for 1000+ yards despite his best year before this year being just over 300 yards receiving. DeFilippo has made the most of the QBs and weapons he's been given. And he's only 37 years old with this being his first year as a NFL OC.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Chris Long DE
Nick Foles QB
Akeem Ayers OLB

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $55 million (after being franchised)
Trumaine Johnson - 5 years $40 million
Mark Barron - 3 years $15 million
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $10.5 million
Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $2 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $2 million

I can't take any more of Nick Foles at QB. We don't save much when we cut him but he's just not worth the roster spot. Cutting Chris Long hurts but it's time. He can't stay healthy and his skills are declining. Britt has played well enough this year to keep as a deep threat imo. With Williams and Fisher staying, we keep the bulk of our defense intact.

Free Agency
colin-kaepernick.jpg

Colin Kaepernick QB - 2 years $16 million

billywinn_576.jpg

Billy Winn DT - 2 years $3 million

Washington-N..jpg

Nate Washington WR - 1 year $1 million

Fisher knows that he needs a winning season. While Kaepernick isn't the long-term plan, he gives Fisher a shot at a winning year in 2016 and the ability to develop a young QB behind him to take over in the near future. Fisher had success with mobile QBs Steve McNair and Vince Young during his time in Tennessee. The Rams make some tweaks to the system with DeFilippo to utilize Kaepernick's mobility.

We need a body behind Donald and Brockers. Winn is a cheap body with some talent and upside left. He's shown some flashes but ultimately has proven only to be a rotational guy. That's probably what he is but the truth is, that all he needs to be. Come in, spell one of the two DTs, and don't be a major liability.

Nate Washington is another WR depth add that will compete with Streater. He's been a consistently solid WR for the past 5-6 years and has played well this year for Houston. He's getting up there in years so we'll see if he has enough left to make the team but if he does, his veteran leadership will be useful for the WR corp.

Trade
Rams trade Round 6 Pick #10
Redskins trade WR Pierre Garcon

Rams trade Round 1 Pick #10
Texans trade Round 1 Pick #19, Round 2 Pick #19, and Round 6 Pick #19

Rams trade Round 2 Pick #10, Round 2 Pick #19
Packers trade Round 1 Pick #27, Round 4 Pick #27

I've heard from some Redskins fans I know that they may release Pierre Garcon after the year. Garcon is still a solid WR and would be one of the best WRs on the market. So the Rams reach out to the Redskins before they cut him and send a 6th round pick their way so we don't have to compete with other teams to sign Garcon off the FA market. We take on Garcon's $8 million salary in 2016.

Texans identify Connor Cook as their man and move up to #10 to grab him. He's a good fit in Coach Bill O'Brien's system and makes sense for a team like the Texans. The Texans assume since we signed Kaepernick that we're not in the market for a first round QB (which is why they didn't trade up over us). We drop back because the guy we're targeting should still be around deeper in the first round.

The Rams decide to go get their man. The Broncos and Cardinals are both threats to take Wentz after the Packers pick so the Rams make a stronger offer to move up with Green Bay and draft Wentz in the late 1st round. This also adds a 5th year to Wentz's rookie contract which is helpful for a developmental passer.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #19 - Jack Conklin OT/OG Michigan State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trEUcgc8pJA

Analysis: I know what people are thinking...I've fought for Greg Robinson so much, how can I draft a LT here? Simple, I am fine with us hedging our bets and Conklin has the body and power to play inside at OG with the feet and polish as a pass protector to play outside at either tackle spot. His versatility makes him a valuable pick for us because he provides us a guy that can step in if Greg doesn't progress in his 3rd year and play LT in 2017 but also provides us a guy that could be a great LG for this team. Conklin is a former walk-on that has been consistently excellent for Michigan State throughout his career. His footwork and lower body mechanics in pass protection have progressed a lot over the past year. He also displays a powerful punch, a strong lower body, excellent balance, and a good understanding of how to handle the defender. He needs to be careful with his hand placement as it is inconsistent and can end up outside of the chest-plate which will lead to flags in the NFL. As a run blocker, he's a powerful kid with a good understanding of angles, and enough of a mean streak. Needs to play with better leverage but when he does, he moves people with ease. I also wish the mean streak would be more consistent. Plays through the whistle at times but isn't always looking to bury his man. Also does a great job of playing under control which allows him to be an effective blocker on the second level and in space. Good physical talent combined with polished technique and a high football IQ.
NFL Comparison: Andrew Whitworth

Round 1 Pick #27 - Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRLe5ltOD4g

Analysis: Wentz is my favorite developmental QB prospect in this draft because I believe he has enough flaws where he won't go high in the first round but none of the flaws are fatal to me. They're all what I'd deem to be correctable with time and development. Wentz's biggest flaws are related to his lower body mechanics. He doesn't keep his feet active in the pocket. He tends to get flat-footed and let them die. This hinders his ability to use his lower body in throws, move in the pocket, and his accuracy. But this is a problem that I think can be easily fixed with time. What I think makes Wentz potentially special is that he has all the tools along with the instincts and intelligence. He's 6'5" 230 with good mobility and a rifle for an arm. He doesn't panic under pressure, understands how to climb the ladder in the pocket, and is willing to take a hit to deliver passes. I think he needs to do a better job of not locking onto his WRs as he'll sometimes miss open WRs because he gets tunnel vision. I also think he needs to do a better job of protecting the football as he fumbles a bit more than I like. Honestly, though, I feel bad for him because he's got such a cannon but has no WRs with any sort of speed at all. I think if you give this kid a year or two to develop behind Kaepernick, he could be a star. He led his team to a National Championship in his first year as a starter on a game winning TD drive in the final minute of the 4th quarter (the game linked above is the FCS National Championship). He has that "clutch" gene imo and he's the most physically talented QB to come out since Colin Kaepernick/Cam Newton.
NFL Comparison: Carson Palmer

Round 2 Pick #15 - Hunter Henry TE Arkansas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8roJxXin-w

Analysis: I'm a big fan of Evan Engram but I think Hunter Henry makes more sense here. Henry has prototypical NFL TE size at 6'5" 250 and has been highly productive for Arkansas this year and throughout his career. He possesses great hands and is known for making tough catches in traffic. He's a very reliable option in the passing game with the acceleration and agility to get open on short to intermediate routes. Doesn't have game-breaking speed but has enough speed to threaten the seam. Basically, he's a good athlete with great hands and size. As a blocker, he's pretty average. Doesn't overpower guys when blocking inline. His fundamentals and technique are pretty sound. They can better but they're not bad. But he's more of a wall them off blocker than a bury them in the dirt blocker. That all said, he's an effective enough blocker due to his size and technique that he won't be a liability if asked to block inline. Not a good pass blocker...but we're not drafting the guy to pass block. Great fit for Drew Brees as he offers a big body that catches the ball extremely well and has the athleticism to threaten on intermediate routes. Plus, we know how much Brees likes his TEs in the red-zone.
NFL Comparison: Tyler Eifert

Round 3 Pick #10 - Bronson Kaufusi DE Brigham Young

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqz2XGKq9Lo

Analysis: Kaufusi is an upside pick here in the 3rd round. He'll probably not play that much as a rookie behind Quinn, Hayes, Westbrooks, and Longacre. He's listed at 6'8" 280 and prior to this year had played as a linebacker for BYU often dropping into coverage. In that role as a junior, he had 11.5 TFLs and 7 sacks. As a senior, he moved to DE and put his hand in the dirt. He currently has 17 TFLs and 11 sacks on the year. However, Kaufusi is very raw on film. He has the speed, movement skills, length, and strength to be a factor in the NFL as a pass rusher. However, his pass rush moves and hand use are largely non-existent to this point. He'll be a very interesting project for DL Coach Jim Waufle. Waufle is one of the best in the game and Kaufusi certainly has the skill-set to be something but right now, the technical side of the game is just not there. However, if Waufle can bring it out of him, watch out.
NFL Comparison: Michael Johnson

Round 4 Pick #10 - Scooby Wright III ILB/OLB Arizona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUWnNxGqYE

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple and Kentrell Brothers from Missouri are also worth considering. But right now, Wright is being considered a mid round pick due to his lack of measurables and his injury keeping him out all year. He has reportedly already hired an agent, though, and is set on declaring.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #19 - Nelson Spruce WR Colorado

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o020795ziW0

Analysis: One of the most productive WRs in Pac-12 history. Spruce is an extremely hard-working player with a high football IQ that runs crisp routes and has a reliable pair of hands. Spruce shows a nuanced understanding how to setup and beat defenders with his routes, he makes difficult catches in traffic, and is willing to get physical in order to create separation. At 6'1" 205, he has enough size to play outside in the NFL while he has the crisp routes and reliable hands in traffic to also work out of the slot. Spruce also has enough speed to threaten down the field. While he doesn't have super incredible upside, Spruce looks like a guy that will stick in the NFL for quite awhile as a reliable #2 or #3 WR. Underrated player at this point in the draft process. I was impressed at his all around skill-set.
NFL Comparison: Brian Hartline

Round 6 Pick #19 - Mike Matthews C Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6osh3LY1VXk

Analysis: Yep, there's another Matthews. Mike isn't blessed with the size that Jake had but he's definitely got the same sort of athleticism and feet that Jake has. Body is a hindrance. Undersized at 6'2" 290ish and he appears to have short arms. My guess is around 32 inches. Wouldn't be surprised if they're shorter than 32. This does cause him some occasional problems. As a pass blocker, he's an absolute rock. He knows when to help, he's an intelligent player that handles stunts and blitzes well, and I didn't notice any issues with bad snaps. In 1-on-1 situations, he consistently shut his man down. Even when his man lands a jarring blow, Matthews is able to drop his butt and widen his base while establishing proper hand positioning and locking on which allows him to stonewall the bullrush after a step or two. When his man tries to knife past him with agility, Matthews shows great footwork and body positioning to slide with the defender, push him up-field, and position his body between the defender and QB at all times. However, Matthews will occasionally duck his head and lunge at defenders because of his arm length and he doesn't have a powerful punch. Often is catching the defender but he's strong and polished in the lower body which allows him to handle this well. As a pass protector, he looks like a quality player and a pro ready guy. As a run blocker, he needs work. Great movement skills, feet, and fluidity which allows him to reach defenders and pull or attack the second level effortlessly. However, he needs to play under control and use angles better on the second level and in the open-field. Too often misses his man because he doesn't position himself well. When blocking 1-on-1 on the LOS, he has enough sand in his pants to get push but he doesn't sustain blocks well. Again, I think the short arms hurt him here and he needs to play with better leverage. As a run blocker, he certainly has upside especially in a zone blocking scheme but will be hit and miss until his OL Coach polishes some technical aspects of his game. Frankly, I'm shocked that NFL teams don't seem to be higher on the guy as I have him as a Day 2/early Day 3 pick but then again, Center is probably my worst position when it comes to evaluations.
NFL Comparison: Jason Kelce

Projected Starters
QB: Colin Kaepernick
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Kenny Britt
ZWR: Pierre Garcon
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Jamon Brown
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Jack Conklin
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Will Hayes
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

My expectation is that Mike Matthews will take over the starting job from Tim Barnes at some point during his rookie year.

FRO

Legend
Foles is guaranteed to make 6 million next year. If we trade him does that bill go to the team he is traded to or does that stay with us? If it stays with us then I think we could get a late round pick for him. If it doesn't and he is untradeable then just cut our losses.

Not a fan of Kaepernick, but I can live with this offseason. I really like your OC hire.

Stel

Starter
I like the plan overall. Like most of the offseason moves with our players.

My thoughts.

I think if Fisher is still here, so is Foles. Foles may be here anyway. Not opposed to him leaving, just don't think he will. At this point his trade value may be for a back up assistant water boy coach.

If Mannion hasn't advanced enough to serve as a back up (if not the starter), he probably isn't worth keeping, especially if we're drafting a QB. Going forward with either a FA signing like Kaep, Foles and a draft choice or with a draft pick, Foles and Mannion would work for me.

I think if we decide Wentz is the future, we take him with our first round pick. Playing the trade down game might bite us in the posterior and this team has no greater need than QB stability.

As to Kaufusi, like him as a player but he is one of those older guys coming into the NFL so it might shorten his useful peak career. Agree we need to take a DE in this draft if at all possible.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I liked the Wentz highlights, he's got a nice release. Some of his passes seemed to lack zip, but that may just be a factor of the viewing angle. Isn't afraid of running it in, looks much stronger in the lower body than Bradford coming out of college. I agree w/ @Stel , there's just so much QB needy teams that we may actually need to move up to get a shot at Wentz. I don't want Cook anymore, hints of him being a prima donna in the locker room & he's off my list.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I liked the Wentz highlights, he's got a nice release. Some of his passes seemed to lack zip, but that may just be a factor of the viewing angle. Isn't afraid of running it in, looks much stronger in the lower body than Bradford coming out of college. I agree w/ @Stel , there's just so much QB needy teams that we may actually need to move up to get a shot at Wentz. I don't want Cook anymore, hints of him being a prima donna in the locker room & he's off my list.

Trust me. Not an issue. HUGE arm.

As for Cook, I wouldn't write him off for that reason. I've heard conflicting things.

Foles is guaranteed to make 6 million next year. If we trade him does that bill go to the team he is traded to or does that stay with us? If it stays with us then I think we could get a late round pick for him. If it doesn't and he is untradeable then just cut our losses.

Not a fan of Kaepernick, but I can live with this offseason. I really like your OC hire.

We'd have to trade him by the 3rd day of the new league year or else we pay the roster bonus and it stays on our books.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not as high on Scooby as you but I really like what you have put together here. I am not necessarily convinced CK will be even the short term answer but his athleticism will make him an immediate upgrade from what we have now.

I think the one position that seems to carry some value when we are talking about older FAs is WR. We've seen numerous examples where veteran receivers have gone to other teams and played very well. I am not talking about second contract receivers so much but actual upper level older vets.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if we decide Wentz is the future, we take him with our first round pick. Playing the trade down game might bite us in the posterior and this team has no greater need than QB stability.

As to Kaufusi, like him as a player but he is one of those older guys coming into the NFL so it might shorten his useful peak career. Agree we need to take a DE in this draft if at all possible.

I think we need to get one of the top 5 QBs.(Goff, Lynch, Cook, Wentz, and Brissett) Best case scenario would be one of the top 2.(Goff or Lynch)

As for Kaufusi, I'm not connected to him. Chose him because of upside. Don't really know much about the DEs this year. Haven't paid much attention to them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You sold me on Wentz.
One thing though, and its a big one. If Fisher stays, he's not getting a new OC. I dont see him bringing in his 4th OC in 2 seasons with his job on the line.
Unless the offense stinks it up the last 2 games (Which may still doom Fisher) I cant see how Boras doesnt keep the job

I still think they need to get Treadwell at #1

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You sold me on Wentz.
One thing though, and its a big one. If Fisher stays, he's not getting a new OC. I dont see him bringing in his 4th OC in 2 seasons with his job on the line.
Unless the offense stinks it up the last 2 games (Which may still doom Fisher) I cant see how Boras doesnt keep the job

I still think they need to get Treadwell at #1

At this point, I might be leaning more towards a guy like Jack Conklin. Think beefing up the OL might do more for us and there should be better WR depth into the 2nd/3rd rounds.(plus, I'd like to see us add a veteran WR or two in FA or via trade)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had a thought after watching film today on some veteran QB options...Chase Daniel might be to the Rams what Ryan Fitzpatrick has been to the Jets. I was impressed watching him. He's not going to be Peyton Manning but he has ability. And he'll likely only cost $4 to $5 million a year in FA.

Frankly, he might be a better short term option than Kaepernick. Especially if Fisher stays and doesn't plan to run the read option.(actually, I'd say he is a better option than Kaepernick if we don't run the read option)

I know this will be popular with some (since he's a former Mizzou guy) and not so popular with others (because he has little starting experience) but I watched his 2015 preseason as well as his 2 starts in 2013 and 2014. He has physical limitations (6'0" with an average arm) but he's athletic, gets the ball out fast, throws with anticipation, is smart, and is cool under pressure. He'll stand in and take shots. He'll use his legs to run for yardage if he gets a seam.

There was a Chiefs contingent that wanted to start him over Kaepernick. If we are looking for a veteran free agent starter, I think Daniel is our best bet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to see Daniel get a shot. Big difference between Daniel and Fitz (other than the obvious playing time) is Fitz success in NY has more to do with his relationship with Chan Gailey.
But yeah I think Daniel would be a better fit for the offense than Kaep.

Athos

Legend
Brees has a somewhat average arm too. He just has one of the fastest releases in the game and processes about as quickly as Manning.

Daniel has moxie. He does have solid pocket mobility and can pick up yards with his legs. He's a fiery QB. Super smart.

It has long been the understanding of MU fans that he knew overcame the weak ass play calling and offensive coaching in college because he pretty much knew the spread better than his coaches. He's a super cerebral QB.

Daniel could potentially be a solid bridge QB to develop a guy like Wentz or Brisset.

Pretty sure I remember Daniel and the ability to throw guys open in college.

I'd make a play for him.

nighttrain

Legend
I think we need to get one of the top 5 QBs.(Goff, Lynch, Cook, Wentz, and Brissett) Best case scenario would be one of the top 2.(Goff or Lynch)

As for Kaufusi, I'm not connected to him. Chose him because of upside. Don't really know much about the DEs this year. Haven't paid much attention to them.
Really impressed by Goff's footwork and passing, trade up for him
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love these mocks @jrry32 , however, I don't think there will as many trades. Warming up to Carson Wentz and love the upside, however, my feeling is Boras stays as OC and if Keenum continues to play well they could very well bring him back.

I would roll with Kaepernick and IMO the change of scenery would do wonders, but if Keenum plays respectable against the Seahawks even in a loss and then has a solid game against the 49ers and the Rams finsih 7-9 Fisher will stick with Keenum IMO because that how I view Fisher, but I hope I am wrong.

One trade I could see is if the Rams really love a Quarterback I could see them trading up for somebody like Goff. Snead was in Atlanta when Dimitroff traded up for WR Julio Jones I could see Les making the move if him and Fisher are on the same page about a signal caller.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love these mocks @jrry32 , however, I don't think there will as many trades. Warming up to Carson Wentz and love the upside, however, my feeling is Boras stays as OC and if Keenum continues to play well they could very well bring him back.

I would roll with Kaepernick and IMO the change of scenery would do wonders, but if Keenum plays respectable against the Seahawks even in a loss and then has a solid game against the 49ers and the Rams finsih 7-9 Fisher will stick with Keenum IMO because that how I view Fisher, but I hope I am wrong.

One trade I could see is if the Rams really love a Quarterback I could see them trading up for somebody like Goff. Snead was in Atlanta when Dimitroff traded up for WR Julio Jones I could see Les making the move if him and Fisher are on the same page about a signal caller.

I think Fisher will keep Boras too. And it might not be by choice. They need to move on from Keenum.

I'd love if they trade up for Goff.

As for the trades, you're probably right. But I think Markus Wheaton and/or Pierre Garcon are probably the two best options available to us. Because I doubt Anquan Boldin wants to come play here.

lockdnram21

Legend
I would like to see Mannion with some receivers and a Line I think he could be a good Qb. Draft Treadwell or Doctson and get a another Receiver in FA to go along with Britt, Marquez, Austin. Even Foles because i dont think they will be able to movemfrom him. Also I think he got shell shocked. Hopefully he can gain some confidence back

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to see Mannion with some receivers and a Line I think he could be a good Qb. Draft Treadwell or Doctson and get a another Receiver in FA to go along with Britt, Marquez, Austin. Even Foles because i dont think they will be able to movemfrom him. Also I think he got shell shocked. Hopefully he can gain some confidence back

I respect your opinion but nobody is going to convince me to go into the 2016 season with the same QBs the Rams had this year.

Mannion hasn't proven anything. He has to go out and earn the job vs. legitimate competition.