Jeff Fisher says rules won’t change for zone-read quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rules-wont-change-for-zone-read-quarterbacks/

Jeff Fisher says rules won’t change for zone-read quarterbacks
Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptexmdewnjnmndm4zji4odawnjk3zdy3y2nhntg4zdyy-e1440772132460.jpeg
AP

Two years ago, former 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh lobbied for greater protections for mobile quarterbacks. Greater protections weren’t adopted then, and they likely won’t be adopted now, or in the near future.

In response to the most recent debate regarding whether quarterbacks who have adopted the zone-read posture have any protections beyond those that apply to ball carriers, a member of the league’s Competition Committee doesn’t see the rules changing.

“The Committee talks about this every year,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher told reporters on Thursday. “We have rules in the rule book that are very specific. If the quarterback is in a throwing position, he gets protection. But in the event that the ball is handed off, at that instant, there’s no telling whether or not he is a runner or not, so he loses that protection.

“So, I don’t see that changing. You get the complaints in opposition from those that are running the read option, and those that [don’t] understand the rule probably a little bit more. There’s obviously a push to protect the quarterback, but you have to give the defensive players a chance. All of the quarterback has to do is pull the ball and he’s a runner. How’s the defender going to know if the ball is pulled or not?

The quarterback gets plenty of protection in the pocket and he picks up protection out of the pocket, he’s got protection down the field on his slides. The read-option posture, I think everybody is clear as to the rule. It didn’t look right, but the [Sam] Bradford hit, it was a legal hit according to the rules.”

The key word indeed is posture. When a quarterback adopts the know-it-when-you-see-it zone-read posture, the goal is to make the defense uncertain as to who has the ball, in the hopes of getting the defense to pursue someone who doesn’t have it.

That’s exactly what happened with Bradford. He duped Terrell Suggs into pursuing the guy who didn’t have the football. So it’s disingenuous for anyone from the Eagles to complain about the fact that Bradford got hit when the goal was to lure Suggs to guy who didn’t have the ball.

It’s like saying, “We tried to fool you and it worked. How dare you!”

Regardless, the rules remain the same, and it looks like they won’t be changing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You get the complaints in opposition from those that are running the read option, and those that [don’t] understand the rule probably a little bit more. There’s obviously a push to protect the quarterback, but you have to give the defensive players a chance. All of the quarterback has to do is pull the ball and he’s a runner. How’s the defender going to know if the ball is pulled or not?

The quarterback gets plenty of protection in the pocket and he picks up protection out of the pocket, he’s got protection down the field on his slides. The read-option posture, I think everybody is clear as to the rule. It didn’t look right, but the [Sam] Bradford hit, it was a legal hit according to the rules.”
So, Chip Kelly's NOT the genius that some claim him to be, huh?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Everybody keeps saying that Eagles fans are complaining that Bradford got hit at all, I'm just not seeing that. Most I've seen from everyone is that he shouldn't have gone so low when he had a perfect chance to hit Bradford number level.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Everybody keeps saying that Eagles fans are complaining that Bradford got hit at all, I'm just not seeing that. Most I've seen from everyone is that he shouldn't have gone so low when he had a perfect chance to hit Bradford number level.

Yeah, he specifically went for the knees, and I think his intent was to injure. You can never put anything past some of these guys.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The read option is a very valid play. With a QB with RB skills It's a legit weapon that D's have to game plan for. It can be even more effective weapon with a non running QB since no one expects a guy like Peyton Manning to hoof it, tho with the weakside wide open he could ramble a good ways.
But no HC is stupid enough to expose a pocket type to that kind of abuse. But Chip is special, so before midseason if he starts running it with Bradford repeatedly then he want's the draft choice.

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher fine with read-option rules
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...coach-jeff-fisher-fine-with-read-option-rules

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Many fans of the St. Louis Rams watched last week's preseason game between the Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens intently as they hoped to get a look at former Rams quarterback Sam Bradford.

What those who watched saw was a solid if unspectacular performance which was overshadowed by controversy. Early in the game, Bradford took a shotgun snap and handed the ball off as Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs approached. Suggs came in low and hit Bradford right at the knees, including his twice-surgically repaired left one. The play was a basic read-option run play, a staple of the Eagles' offense.

Suggs received a penalty for hitting the quarterback low but the NFL said the hit was legal. Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the competition committee, was asked Thursday what he thought of the play. To no surprise, Fisher said the hit was OK.

"All of the quarterback has to do is pull the ball and he’s a runner," Fisher said. "How’s the defender going to know if the ball is pulled or not? The quarterback gets plenty of protection in the pocket and he picks up protection out of the pocket, he’s got protection down the field on his slides. The read option posture, I think everybody is clear as to the rule. It didn’t look right, but the Bradford hit, it was a legal hit according to the rules.”

In the aftermath of the hit, a number of Eagles voiced their anger with the hit with tackle Jason Peters saying Suggs had been planning to take a shot at the knees during the joint practices the teams shared leading up to the game. Suggs countered by saying a team that runs the read-option should know the rules and that the movement opens up the quarterback to getting hit.

As it turns out, Suggs' interpretation isn't far off. Earlier this week, Seattle coach Pete Carroll also expressed some displeasure with Suggs' hit. But that shouldn't be a surprise, either, since Carroll has some vested interest in the read-option with Russell Wilson as his quarterback.

Fisher said such plays have been part of the competition committee's discussions on a regular basis in recent years and sees no reason for it to change moving forward.

“Well no, the committee talks about this every year," Fisher said. "We have rules in the rule book that are very specific. If the quarterback is in a throwing position, he gets protection. But in the event that the ball is handed off, at that instant, there’s no telling whether or not he is a runner or not, so he loses that protection. So, I don’t see that changing. You get the complaints in the opposition from those that are running the read option, and those that aren’t understand the rule probably a little bit more. There’s obviously a push to protect the quarterback, but you have to give the defensive players a chance."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s exactly what happened with Bradford. He duped Terrell Suggs into pursuing the guy who didn’t have the football. So it’s disingenuous for anyone from the Eagles to complain about the fact that Bradford got hit when the goal was to lure Suggs to guy who didn’t have the ball.

It’s like saying, “We tried to fool you and it worked. How dare you!”

haha, florio is such a germ. sam didn't dupe anyone. it was a handoff all the way and suggs saw him hand it off. he still made a beeline to sam and tried to tear his acl again.

nobody cares that he hit him, just that he tried to end his career in a preseason game.

RamsesIII

UDFA
That’s exactly what happened with Bradford. He duped Terrell Suggs into pursuing the guy who didn’t have the football.

Someone hasn't watched the replay. Sam simply handed the ball off to Sproles - period - no run fake. Suggs went directly for his knees. That was Suggs' intent from the second the play started unfolding.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Someone hasn't watched the replay. Sam simply handed the ball off to Sproles - period - no run fake. Suggs went directly for his knees. That was Suggs' intent from the second the play started unfolding.
Well, sorta. It was a zone read, and you could tell by the way the O-line started blocking. It's hard to tell, but maybe if Suggs gets sucked in, Bradford has a chance to keep the ball and run. Plus Bradford handed off with two hands which is usually indicative of an option play.

RamsesIII

UDFA
chipsuggs.jpg
Well, sorta. It was a zone read, and you could tell by the way the O-line started blocking. It's hard to tell, but maybe if Suggs gets sucked in, Bradford has a chance to keep the ball and run. Plus Bradford handed off with two hands which is usually indicative of an option play.

I only know what the coach who called the play says. Kelly said it was not a zone read, just a hand-off out of the shotgun. He also said that its not unusual to leave that defensive end unblocked.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
View attachment 9722

I only know what the coach who called the play says. Kelly said it was not a zone read, just a hand-off out of the shotgun. He also said that its not unusual to leave that defensive end unblocked.
If true, I stand corrected. Sure as hell had all the looks and features of a read-option play. I mean, maybe it was intended that way. You know, to give the appearance of two options to the defense so they don't immediately converge on the RB? I dunno. Now I don't care anymore. lol.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The fact of where Suggs hit Bradford is what angers me. I would have been fine with a hard hit at waist level or chest level but he dove straight into the knees. Suggs knew the extent of Bradford's knee history and he knew that diving into his knee had a great chance of injuring Bradford yet again.

If it's preseason and you aren't even sure he has the ball when you make that hit, that is just shameful. Sometimes you have to be a human being and value a player's career more than your personal preseason agenda.