Jeff Fisher Postgame Press Conference - 12/11

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
was at the game. the crowd near the tunnel erupted into boo's as Fish lead team in, kinda telling.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume he gives props to the opposing team and their coach. Talks about "fixing" things and tells everyone how this is NOT what they were expecting today.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
was at the game. the crowd near the tunnel erupted into boo's as Fish lead team in, kinda telling.

I usually can only make it about half way through

…..

Legend
I watched this one. He has no real answers, caught between protecting his guys and his other guys.. Kinda sad. This game, with the turnovers, was soooooooooo far beyond his comprehension. This year needs to be forgotten. Sorry Ram Bros......but it it what it is. They are trying. Its just not there.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I watched this one. He has no real answers, caught between protecting his guys and his other guys.. Kinda sad. This game, with the turnovers, was soooooooooo far beyond his comprehension. This year needs to be forgotten. Sorry Ram Bros......but it it what it is. They are trying. Its just not there.

I got the EXACT same vibe. The man just has no answers. Fisher seems like a genuinely good guy. And I don't doubt he is trying his best and has the team's best interest at heart. But it just isn't working. And now the entire situation has spiralled out of control. Things will probably get even worse before the year ends because this thing is a giant snowball now and is gaining more momentum every week. We even have the players going public with displeasure now. This year is a write off at this point. The best thing now is to start fresh with an entire new coaching staff and aim to compete next year. I think we do have some decent pieces in place.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I was in full on Randy Quaid mode and everyone around me in the end zone is tired of Fisher and real tired of this offensive product. It seriously looks like they don't game plan for the opponent. I know they do, but it sure doesn't show up. I was calling out running plays on cue to my friend for 1 to 2 yards on 2nd downs. We both just started cracking up at how silly and predictable the offense is. If I can do this from the end zone after a few Pacificos, this team is in trouble or I need to freshen up my resume`.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I normally don't watch these either, but I wanted to see his take after this game.

Here's my thoughts on a couple things coach Fisher had to say:

"We came back off a long road trip and had a really good week of practice
*takes shot* and expected to play much better than we did."
You and me both, Jeff.

"We had a glimmer of hope when we found out their two most explosive players weren't going to be available and thought we'd have a good match-up defensively."
Excuse me? Jeff, you're the head coach of a professional football team (term used loosely) and you basically said you thought we didn't have a chance if Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu played today. Granted, Julio is tops in the league and I'm a fan so if I said that it wouldn't mean shit. How is that going to sit with the you're defensive backs?

"The fans have every right to be disappointed as well."
He sounds defeated to me. I'm sure he's well aware of the general opinion of him, and I do feel for him because he really does try. I'm sure we do look pretty good in practice and we do have a really good game plan going into each game. But something just isn't clicking between the coaches and the players and I think Jeff sounds a little tired from the outcome of this season.

Q: How do you talk to Jared to keep him motivated and pressing on down this tough stretch?
"We're not pressing on Jared by any means, he's gaining valuable experience for his career. He's going to be our QB for a long, long time. He's not happy; he doesn't like losing, but you can see improvement each week."
Not a direct answer, but a good one none-the-less. Hard to see the improvement today with all the other dumpster fires, but Goff keeps impressing me with his accuracy (aside from the miss to Austin on what looked to be a big gainer). Eventually, someone has to catch the ball for him.

Q: You've now had three lopsided losses in a row. Do you get the sense that things are spiraling out of control?
"No. You go to practices during the week and watch them practice and watch them prepare - no. I don't think so. We had a muffed kickoff and gave them a quick seven points and those things happen."
Kind of a dumb question from the reporter. I mean what do you think Jeff is going to say? "Yes we're sinking please help?!" I would also agree with Fisher about the muffed kickoff and quick deficit, but this is becoming an every game occurrence where something doesn't go our way and we have no answers.

Q: You went through a week where we asked you about your relationship with Les and the game starts that way (a quick turnover and surrendered TD) what's going through your mind as things started off so poorly?
"Uh... I was focused on the game. The offense, the defense, the special teams, and the opponent. That's where my focus was."
What a dumb fucking question. As if Jeff would answer this any differently or would possibly be thinking about his relationship with Les immediately after the kickoff happened. Who finds these reporters?

Q: How much did you miss Benny (Cunningham) out there on the field and for kickoffs? I know he would have been out there on the opening kickoff and then Malcolm fumbled...
"You know Benny might be 2nd or 3rd in the league in kickoff returns. He makes good decisions and has good ball skills and Malcolm is usually pretty solid about not putting the ball on the ground. Credit them for ripping it out, but we can't allow that to happen. We miss Benny, and we miss Rob, and Harkey."
He's 2nd or 3rd in the league because of how many kickoffs he returns each game. Granted he's a good player, but dang! Then Jeff names the players unrelated to the question that were injured for us. Might I mention Atlanta didn't have Julio or Sanu today...

Q: Is something not carrying over from practice to the game?
"It's offense. Yeah, it's offense. We're not moving the ball, converting on third downs and we're not putting points on the board."
You're kidding! What about the defense, Jeff? These past three weeks- actually, the entire season they haven't been themselves.

Q: Some of the players are saying that they place all responsibility for this on you. How do you feel about that?
"I have great respect for every player in that locker room and develop relationships with them and my job is to help them to maximize their strengths, identify their weaknesses, and help them be as good of players as they can, and have one-on-one relationships with them. So if they're saying that I appreciate them."
Interesting take on this, but I admire the class he answered this with. Could have taken this a couple different ways, but I liked his answer.

Q: How much responsibility do you feel you bare for what's happening?
"Well I have to take it- the head coach takes it. You know? It's obvious. It's the National Football League. Yeah, I feel responsible for this."
Kind of another obvious answer, but at least we have Fisher owning up to direction this season is taking.

What I wanted to gain out of this was how Jeff was feeling about his team's performance today and this year and the confidence about his job security. To me, Jeff is feeling the heat of an unfulfilled promise left on Hard Knocks. I think the wear and tear of a failing season is leaving him tired and desperate, but if he's fearing for his job, I'm not so sure I see it. Not to say he isn't, but he does a good job hiding it when talking about Goff as our quarterback for a long time. I feel bad for him and if this is his last stand, I hope we do get a couple more wins before the end. I think Jeff deserves it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Prediction: Fish will be gone this week. Fired Friday morning after we lose to the Shehawks in embarrassing fashion this Thursday night.

Players have already started to quit. It's over man. Only reason I don't think it happens tomorrow is because it's a short week with a Thursday game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"It's offense. Yeah, it's offense. We're not moving the ball, converting on third downs and we're not putting points on the board."

They've had a myriad of qbs behind Centre, plus three ocs and this 3rd down problem remains unsolved since Fisher entered the building. Could it be all the designed plays where the receiver is running sideways before the sticks with dbs and lbers sweating on the short throws? Could that be the problem?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I was in full on Randy Quaid mode and everyone around me in the end zone is tired of Fisher and real tired of this offensive product. It seriously looks like they don't game plan for the opponent. I know they do, but it sure doesn't show up. I was calling out running plays on cue to my friend for 1 to 2 yards on 2nd downs. We both just started cracking up at how silly and predictable the offense is. If I can do this from the end zone after a few Pacificos, this team is in trouble or I need to freshen up my resume`.
Should have been calling out the pass plays.....they didn't run Gurley enough

And the pass game was ineffective

Psycho_X

Legend

Q: Some of the players are saying that they place all responsibility for this on you. How do you feel about that?
"I have great respect for every player in that locker room and develop relationships with them and my job is to help them to maximize their strengths, identify their weaknesses, and help them be as good of players as they can, and have one-on-one relationships with them. So if they're saying that I appreciate them."

Who said they placed it on Fisher? I know what Gurley said about the offense being what it is but hadn't heard anyone direct blame at Fisher.

But more of the same answers. Not much he can do or say at this point other than going through the motions. The ship has sunk, he's just holding his breath until the sweet release of death.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
Jeff you picked the coaches, all the players, approved all concepts on office and defense and game plans. You have been a coach in this league for many years. What you have not done is humbly been introspective enough to state why you are a consistently average NFL coach. You consistently field teams hall marked by uninspiring offensive concepts, poor discipline, penalty prone, and losing records all under your origination and direction. Your post game pressers could simply be interchanged randomly in the past 10 years now. They all sound the same and are actually probably memorized by now. We have a lot of talented players on our team. They have all been winners. We do not have a talented head coach. You will soon be the losingest coach in NFL history. The group of 5 iconic coaches with similar number of losses all far surpass you in number and percentage of wins. You are a nice guy, players and owners coach, and probably a great organizer and CEO of a football team. What you are not is a great football coach and winner. The common thread in all the losing seasons is you. It's time to have some integrity for the fans, the team, the owners , the game, and yourself, to help propel this team into the future by stepping down honorably. Stop blaming everyone and look in the mirror to see that it is you. You have either not evolved, or have done your best to consistently be the best you can, which is average. We all want more and we all deserve more!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Prediction: Fish will be gone this week. Fired Friday morning after we lose to the Shehawks in embarrassing fashion this Thursday night.

Players have already started to quit. It's over man. Only reason I don't think it happens tomorrow is because it's a short week with a Thursday game.

I would do it today, although I think you are right as to why they would wait (if they make a move at all).

Fisher shouldn't be the only one gone, Boras should go too, with Groh receiving the reins. Boras is epically, comically bad as an OC. Getting rid of Fisher would be the ultimate move for conveying a message of accountability, getting rid of Boras would give extra emphasis to an offense that hasn't carried its weight this year.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

At this point, taking into consideration the last three efforts and the "noise" all over the place, I just don't see the downside to not letting him go immediately.

Or, to look at it the other way, I can't see the upside to keeping hm for one more game. It's pretty clear to all who are watching that there will be no miraculous turn-around.

Can't control or really worry about his fate... but I just can't see hanging onto him for one more game.

I hope to God that these results don't run deeper than just bad coaching!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Q: You went through a week where we asked you about your relationship with Les and the game starts that way (a quick turnover and surrendered TD) what's going through your mind as things started off so poorly?
"Uh... I was focused on the game. The offense, the defense, the special teams, and the opponent. That's where my focus was."
What a dumb freaking question. As if Jeff would answer this any differently or would possibly be thinking about his relationship with Les immediately after the kickoff happened. Who finds these reporters?

Probably a writer from the National Enquirer looking into a more deeper, meaningful relationship between Jeff and Les. It always seems there are a couple real "knucklehead" reporters who sneak into the media room after games. It seemed to happen back in St. Louis too. My response to this dime store writer would be: "All I could think of was running up to the box where Les sits, during the game, and punch him squarely in the mouth for making me draft Thomas. Do you really think I have any control over the players? Don't you see the strings attached to my arms and legs? I am just a puppet, and Les is the puppet master. Damn man, get it figured out!"

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The season has turned into a total train wreck. At this point, there is nothing he can say anymore. It is what it is. I don't doubt everyone is trying. Even the coaches. But at some point you have to realize your best isn't good enough. Its time to make changes and find people who are good enough.

We can analyze this to death. But it could be as simple as the guys you're up against are better. If the team wants to win they need players who are better than the ones they go up against week after week. Either by coaching them up better or replacing them.