Jeff Fisher on McLeod Penalty Hit “Do it again.”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm guessing this means that Fisher isn't of the opinion that the tackle was irresponsibly bad technique.

And yes, keeping those kind of hits up might result in a few more bogus penalties, but I'm not going to blame Fisher or the Rams D for that. Maybe once it gets into the officials heads that, yes, we do train our guys not to lead with the head (team name notwithstanding), the bogus penalties will go away. The fear of opposing receivers won't.

And that makes them go back to the huddle and tell the QB to stop exposing them to hits like that. Now the QB is rattled too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
But how do you measure the impact of Sanders being knocked out of the game. Couldn't we have potentially have lost the game had he stayed healthy? I think you are asking to measure something that can't be measured either way. Knock them out is my vote.
th

Mike

Rookie
Name
Mike
That hit is football. Intimidation at its best. Football is a violent contact sport played by tremendous athletes on both sides of the ball. A hit like that sets the tone for the game. I would bet that the Chargers receivers are aware of that hit on Sanders and might short arm a few balls thrown their way on Sunday. As much as the NFL is trying to make the game "Safer" hits like the one last week will still happen and teams are willing to take the penalty from a hit like that to set the tone of the game. As Fisher said do it again. Bring the pain to your opponents. I thought that hit was one of the best I've ever seen in all my years of watching football. And the best part of it for me was....a Ram brought it!!!

dhaab

Rookie
...hard hits like that are going to draw a flag almost every time.

Which is why the NFL is slowly becoming a terrible league. Hits like that used to be much more common and it was a big reason why I fell in love with football. If you can't hit a player because he is "vulnerable" then the game becomes flag football.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I figured it was because the dude scored the td on them that he got a little extra! :sneaky:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I really appreciated that Fisher said "do it again" NOT because it sent a message or any of that, but because it was proper technique.

AND... that he understood the Refs were going to call that because the shoulder to shoulder was so quick and violent that it would LOOK like it met the requirement for a Defenseless Receiver call.

It's a pretty fine line to walk, but man did he ever tap dance all over it like Fred Astaire!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would bet that the Chargers receivers are aware of that hit on Sanders and might short arm a few balls thrown their way on Sunday
I thought even the announcers mentioned that on a play after that hit.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
My guess is that the charger receivers are gonna have their heads on a swivel this Sunday. :snicker:

ME LIKEY

What's more, Rivers mat think twice about plays that get his receivers killed like Peyton did. Anything that limits an offense can't be bad.