Jeff Fisher on fake punt: I liked the look

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Anyone with eyes could see that the long snapper wasn't pointing towards Hekker. They need to go back to the drawing board on that one.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Fakes are a gamble and part of gambling is knowing you arent going to win them all. Theres been times where the gambles have paid off and times like today where they havent. Its the reason its a gamble. Im more upset that they didnt go for it on 4th in the redzone

Same here Picked4td.... I totally was hoping they would go for it in the redzone with the way the Defense had been playing prior to that drive etc..

And RIGHT NOW Your board name really has me irked @Picked4td ;)

every time I see your name on the forum this week, it's going to be a painful reminder of the pick6 with the game tied. grrrrrr :mad:

Go figure that the game was tied 16-16 before the pick 4 a td.... Who is number 16 on the Rams? The Irony of the number 16 in the Bills game :cool:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't know. Is being down by 7 and going for 3 really playing to win? He says a lot of things about his logic and thought process but his actions rarely seem to match up.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
An excerpt from Fishers CYA article.

The first decision came on fourth-and-goal from the four-yard-line with just under six minutes to play in the game. The Rams trailed 23-16 at the end of a drive spanning more than eight minutes and Fisher opted to kick a field goal rather than try for a touchdown. A failure to score a touchdown would have left the Rams in need of driving for a touchdown to have a chance to tie the game while kicking the field goal meant having to score a touchdown to win it. Bad decision, kicking a FG does nothing. The Rams still would have needed another TD of which they only had one all game and they would have to travel the full length of the field. If they would have went for the TD a not made it the Bills would have been backed up on their goal line. Then the defense could stop them deep in their own territory instead of the 25 yard line. The rams could stop them and get the ball back in much better field position. Also the Bills had no reason to play for a punt return. They had the lead. So the Bills were smart in looking for the fake punt because the Rams were basically out of choices at that point.

“The reason for [taking] the points is I was playing to win,” Fisher said in his postgame press conference. Then he should have scored the TD, stopped them then drive for a game winning field goal. EITHER WAY YOU HAVE TO GET A TD TO WIN!

“I wouldn’t have called it if I didn’t think it would work,” Fisher said. “That’s how those things are. We practiced it all week, we had the look and it didn’t work. I’ll take that. They executed it in practice, they didn’t execute it there. If that thing works, it’s good stuff. It’s really good stuff. It didn’t and they don’t always work. That type of approach in special teams has taken us a long way.” they didn’t execute it there. Nice, blame the players. It didn't dawn on you the Bills were probably looking for a fake punt and had nothing to lose by calling for a fair catch.

And it was not a risk, it was a desperation play. 7-9, 6-8, here we come....again

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He's probably right. And if it actually worked, we would have commented on the size and metallic compound of his balls. Just like we did on other trick plays that worked. I still disagree that it was a smart risk though with the way the defense had been playing up to that point. Still plenty of time (and timeouts) to get the ball back again and do it the traditional way.

I wasn't around here in 2012 when the Rams successfully did that on the road against the 49ers, deep in their own territory (in the game that eventually ended as a tie), but I'm sure his balls of (insert metallic compound here) were the subject of much admiration.

The fake punt would have worked had Hekker thrown the ball instead of a run play by Marquez. Too bad Benny Cunningham was not available. Otherwise, it would have been Hekker to Cunningham fake punt for a first down.

Yes, if nothing else, it should have been a Hekker pass. At least then it's not telegraphed.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I don't know. Is being down by 7 and going for 3 really playing to win? He says a lot of things about his logic and thought process but his actions rarely seem to match up.

Seriously.
"Going for the win." Except, well, you know... you LOST.
Just like the Minnesota game last year. Playing NOT TO LOSE is more like it.
This guy is full of shit, man. He is beloved by the players and media because he knows how to play the politics game... but when it comes to the actual game... he's mediocre.

TXRams86

The Infamous
No, it's not playing to win.
Kicking a field goal when you're down 7 and you're at your 4 yard line is chicken shit, "conservative" football.
That would be fine if he had stuck with that logic and punted the ball on the ensuing offensive series and having the defense get a crack at stopping them and giving us decent field position to drive down and win.
Instead, he picks the most inappropriate time to be "aggressive" and it backfires, leading to us losing the game.

Fisher talks out of his ass 99% of the time and people seem to buy into it.
Everyone also seems pretty scared to question his stupid decisions short of "what was the reasoning behind that?"
Grill the hell out of him and make him realize he isn't the smartest guy in the room.

Or have him fired, which I would prefer.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
“I wouldn’t have called it if I didn’t think it would work,” Fisher said. “That’s how those things are. We practiced it all week, we had the look and it didn’t work. I’ll take that. They executed it in practice, they didn’t execute it there. If that thing works, it’s good stuff. It’s really good stuff. It didn’t and they don’t always work. That type of approach in special teams has taken us a long way.” they didn’t execute it there. Nice, blame the players. It didn't dawn on you the Bills were probably looking for a fake punt and had nothing to lose by calling for a fair catch.
Has anyone ever seen him accept responsibility for anything?
Can't recall him ever saying anything was ever on him or his fault.
Real leaders accept responsibility for their mis-steps and
even sometimes when they're not at fault.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I understand Fisher doing this against Seattle, etc. in years past because he didn't think we would get the ball back. But in this scenario our D was playing very well. I just didn't like the call.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wasn't around here in 2012 when the Rams successfully did that on the road against the 49ers, deep in their own territory (in the game that eventually ended as a tie), but I'm sure his balls of (insert metallic compound here) were the subject of much admiration.
Yes. Absolutely that's how it went down.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Same here Picked4td.... I totally was hoping they would go for it in the redzone with the way the Defense had been playing prior to that drive etc..

And RIGHT NOW Your board name really has me irked @Picked4td ;)

every time I see your name on the forum this week, it's going to be a painful reminder of the pick6 with the game tied. grrrrrr :mad:

Go figure that the game was tied 16-16 before the pick 4 a td.... Who is number 16 on the Rams? The Irony of the number 16 in the Bills game :cool:

haha sry, its a really old name too but im not creative enough to come up with a new one in the past 15+ years

funny how that works huh?

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Has anyone ever seen him accept responsibility for anything?
Can't recall him ever saying anything was ever on him or his fault.
Real leaders accept responsibility for their mis-steps and
even sometimes when they're not at fault.

Seems as if everyone in the media is afraid to press him

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I was at the game ..... I liked the call...... IMO, he gave his offense an opportunity to go win the game. If it doesn't work, you have confidence in your defense that they can hold for just a field goal, and then you still have to score a TD when you get the ball back. Bottom line is the Gurley fumble and Keenum the pick 6 is what lost the game, not whether to go for it on 4th down late in the 4th Qtr.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
personally I dont really mind the call. Punt it or not, you would still need a defensive stop and a td, only difference is whether the td wins it or ties it (assuming the fg is made). Missing 3 dline starters, so you got backups that are probably stupid tired, and just lost your top CB.

Fakes are a gamble and part of gambling is knowing you arent going to win them all. Theres been times where the gambles have paid off and times like today where they havent. Its the reason its a gamble. Im more upset that they didnt go for it on 4th in the redzone

I hated the play calls preceding the fake punt. They were horribly conservative, when they needed to be dynamic, or creative under clutch time. It forced them into desperation.

The fake punt would have worked had Hekker thrown the ball instead of a run play by Marquez. Too bad Benny Cunningham was not available. Otherwise, it would have been Hekker to Cunningham fake punt for a first down.

Great point. Executing a fake punt without the best personnel for the job is not optimal. How good are Marquez's running instincts?

Back Jlack

UDFA
Name
Back Jlack
"I was playing to win"
then why the hell didn't you go for it when we were within the 5 yard line. Defense is stout and most likely would've given us good field position and momentum was on the rams side

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That type of approach in special teams has taken us a long way.”

LBwedhy.gif

TexasRam

Legend
Balls of steel calling special teams plays

Balls of steel calling aggressive defense

Scared shitless at the idea of throwing the ball over 10 yards

18w3kce8x1za8gif.jpg

Rob

UDFA
Jeff Fisher needs to go. If you want to gamble, do it when you're knocking on the door of the end zone. Instead he gets conservative and kicks the FG, only to fake a punt around his own 20. Gtfo.
Would rather see a deep pass than a fake punt, at least you could get the pass interference call or the first down...Stupid call for sure. Fisher needs to go, he's boring and way over his head against good coaches.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i also like the look of the platinum blonde with the ass for days and boobs for week i see at my gym every weds but theres a reason i havent gone for it like fisher obviously did yesterday . That reason is 6'5 built like a brick shithouse no necked bulgy armed bald head bearded scarred face biker boyfriend

that should not have been the call in that spot .... play it safe kick it long let the D stop and play field position