Jeff Fisher not concerned about starting youth on the OL/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher not concerned about starting youth on offensive line
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...cerned-about-starting-youth-on-offensive-line

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As the St. Louis Rams opened training camp on Friday, they welcomed back two starting offensive linemen now fully recovered from offseason surgeries.

Getting left tackle Greg Robinson and left guard Rodger Saffold back from toe and shoulder surgeries was an important step for the Rams considering that duo could represent the only starting experience on the line when the Rams open the season on Sept. 13.

With Robinson and Saffold back in the fold, the Rams didn't alter the look of the right side of their line and still seem to be intent on plugging in rookies Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein at right guard and right tackle, respectively. At center, there's a three-way competition underway amongst Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney. Barnes is the only one of the three to have started an NFL game and he has just four to his name.

Even with that lack of experience across the line, Rams coach Jeff Fisher has no qualms about putting his faith in the young pups.

"I think the young guys have done a really good job," Fisher said. "And I have no reservation whatsoever when we line up for the opener, playing a rookie offensive lineman. They’re going to get plenty of reps and they’re the best that we’ll put on the field in confidence."

The real test for the line will come this week when the Rams put the pads on. To this point, the offensive line has been at a distinct disadvantage without pads and because of the talented defensive line its faced every day in practice. But the Rams are hopeful that facing such a tough test every day in practice will only benefit what projects to be the youngest offensive line in football.

And even without the pads, the top defensive linemen such as Robert Quinn, Chris Long and William Hayes have offered positive reviews for the likes of Brown and Havenstein.

"Just in talking with the defensive linemen, obviously we have a veteran group of defensive linemen, they’re saying, ‘These guys are going to be good,’" Fisher said. "Coming from Chris and Will and those guys, that’s pretty impressive."

Of course, there's still a long way to go in this camp and preseason, and the Rams would be wise to settle on a center sooner than later in an effort to build on the communication and details across the line.

But when the Rams spent five draft picks on offensive linemen they did so with every intention of building the group from the ground up. After largely ignoring the line in their first two drafts, the Rams want to build a group that not only will improve on the old, injury-prone group of recent seasons but also one that can stay in place for a long time to come.

“Well it wasn’t necessarily competition, it was just improve the position," Fisher said. "We’ve been talking since we got here about, ‘Gosh, how nice would it be to be able to go out and draft three or four offensive linemen in the same draft?’ This year we were able to do that, and five with Isaiah [Battle]. It’s an area that we had to focus on. It’s an area that we expect to be good for a long time. I can’t tell you how it’s going to unfold right now or who is going to end up starting. But like we said yesterday, we have no concern about starting young people up front. If they are playing, they are ready to play."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fear Not, Les Snead Has Confidence in the Rams’ Young O-Line
Posted by: Luke Schnake

http://www.101sports.com/2015/07/31/fear-not-les-snead-confidence-rams-young-o-line/

The Rams are no strangers to having young squads heading into training camp, often sporting one of the youngest rosters in the NFL for the last few years.

Now, it’s the offensive line’s turn to represent the youth.

2015 third round draftees Rob Havenstein (Iowa) and Jamon Brown (Louisville) will most likely start at right tackle and right guard respectively, while the center position will be up for grabs between Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones, and Demetrius Rhaney.

Of those three, Barnes is the most NFL seasoned, with 14 games under his belt with Jones second at seven and Rhaney with none after spending his rookie year on the injured reserve list with a knee injury.

While some would write off the group as too unschooled to succeed, GM Les Snead begs to differ.

He’s seen success with a young line under O-Line coach Paul Boudreau.

“I think (success) is realistic. Obviously you guys have chatted about it, Coach (Boudreau) is really good. He’s done it…I was in Atlanta with him back with Harvey Dahl and Tyson Claybo…Harvey Dahl wasn’t Harvey Dahl yet. He was a college free agent who had bounced around on practice squads.” Snead said.

“(Boudreau) is really good and he’s got his hands full, but I do think what’s interesting about this group is they’re a group that’s played a lot of football…That experience helps. Whether it’s big Rob (Havenstein) with four years starting in the Big Ten, I mean that’s a lot of football and a lot of quality experience.”

As for translating college experience to the NFL in such a short time, Snead says it’s an easy enough solution.
tim barnes

With 14 games under his belt at center, Tim Barnes has the most experience of the three candidates for the position.

“It’s the simple answer of reps, reps, reps.” Snead said. “You’re gonna get it in practice…I think going to practice against the Cowboys will be big because we’ve got four preseason games and that’s a fifth opportunity to work against people you don’t know…I haven’t chatted with Jeff, but I think there’s some plans of playing those guys longer in preseason games.”

The young O-line will have their hands full facing opposing defensive linemen hell-bent on dirtying Nick Foles’ jersey. One of the bigger story lines in training camp will be how the offense performs versus their own seasoned D-line in Earth City.

“I think anybody will tell you that you want practice situations to be more stressful than games.” Snead said. “That’s probably easier said than done, but I do think that lining up and going against that group, when you do get to the games you’ll say, ‘Okay, I’m good here.’”

Running the ball will be a big part of the Rams’ game in 2015 and run blocking is usually considered an easier assignment for young offensive guards and tackles. Snead said this is especially the case in the NFC West and hopes blocking for runners will help the group gel more quickly.

“To be strong at the line of scrimmage, especially in the run game…It wasn’t just, ‘let’s go young,’ it was that we need to get this O-L where it gets continuity and let’s grow together because the more games these guys play together in seasons, the better we’re gonna be.” Snead said.

“It’s just happened that this year’s draft…We thought there was some quality guys and we could maybe address our goal of building a unit of where we can grow them together…If this draft wouldn’t have been that deep (at offensive line) then maybe we would’ve gone about it a different way.”

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Looking forward to seeing a lot of running the ball down their throats until they play for the run and then we pass! Keep them on their heels as much as possible! Rams have got the horses to do that, for sure!

Alan

Legend
If he's telling the truth about not being concerned about starting rookies on the O-line then what does that say about last year's subs? Combine that statement with the less than stellar performance of our centers in the first two days of TC and what do we have? I won't be shocked if Washington and Bond don't make the final 53. Course it's early but...

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I've heard good things about the OL from these camp reports. The rookies are playing well apparently and it shouldn't be total trash.

I do have my concerns about the Centers though. They don't appear to be playing well at all. Hopefully Rhaney has better luck.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I like the idea of the newcomers/new starters on the Oline getting increased playing time in preseason. It will give Mannion more time behind a better Oline to get some quality reps.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm tired of the talk from Fisher and Snead. They always say they'll fix the O-line but it's always an issue. C is by far my biggest concern and what I've heard the first two days isn't helping things. Please, someone step up!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If he's telling the truth about not being concerned about starting rookies on the O-line then what does that say about last year's subs? Combine that statement with the less than stellar performance of our centers in the first two days of TC and what do we have? I won't be shocked if Washington and Bond don't make the final 53. Course it's early but...

Exactly. First thing I thought when I read the article. "What does that say for last year?"
Does it mean the subs were that bad, or that it's a recent change of mentality, or just that he really has no choice but to be ok with it. I was posting about being worried about the centers before TC and they've done very little to relieve that worry.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I'm tired of the talk from Fisher and Snead. They always say they'll fix the O-line but it's always an issue. C is by far my biggest concern and what I've heard the first two days isn't helping things. Please, someone step up!
Dude take a chill pill

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Combine that statement with the less than stellar performance of our centers in the first two days of TC and what do we have?

I do have my concerns about the Centers though. They don't appear to be playing well at all.
R-E-L-A-X......ahahahahha, and @V3 trust in the Snisher......Until pads, we won't know a thing really....Now if Jones & Barnes are still getting blown back...gulp....I actually love the idea of going heavy in the draft...shoulda went a couple years sooner, but maybe this too is a plan...Won't need to renegotiate for some time....and they'll all be young...Setting us up for a couple years of dominance...

FrankenRam

Starter
Exactly. First thing I thought when I read the article. "What does that say for last year?"
Does it mean the subs were that bad, or that it's a recent change of mentality, or just that he really has no choice but to be ok with it. I was posting about being worried about the centers before TC and they've done very little to relieve that worry.

That.

I'll never understand why some folks put so much stock in what coaches say about their players. Not only do they have much choice, but what player would want to play for a coach that didn't 'have their back'. Can you imagine being a C on the Rams right now and Fisher said something like....'The OL has been looking good except for those durn Centers. That's a bunch of slugs right there.' I'd be hoping to get traded.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 not ready to hit the panic button:
R-E-L-A-X......ahahahahha, and @V3 trust in the Snisher......Until pads, we won't know a thing really....Now if Jones & Barnes are still getting blown back...gulp....I actually love the idea of going heavy in the draft...shoulda went a couple years sooner, but maybe this too is a plan...Won't need to renegotiate for some time....and they'll all be young...Setting us up for a couple years of dominance...
upload_2015-8-2_21-42-55.jpeg

I have a fallback position that gets me through the day. It can't be worse than last years O-line. :LOL:

V3

Hall of Fame
I totally agree with you about it still being early in camp. I'm just saying it's been 3+ years now of horrible O-lines and bad records. I don't want to keep hearing the same tired lines from Fisher and Snead about how they have all the faith in the world in our O-line. Less coach speak and more results. IMO, the O-line should have been the first thing they invested in in the draft when they first got here.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I totally agree with you about it still being early in camp. I'm just saying it's been 3+ years now of horrible O-lines and bad records. I don't want to keep hearing the same tired lines from Fisher and Snead about how they have all the faith in the world in our O-line. Less coach speak and more results. IMO, the O-line should have been the first thing they invested in in the draft when they first got here.
There's no doubt that our oline has been pretty bad for too many years now.
They did try to improve it through FA, but that just didn't pan out.

FRO

Legend
I'm highly concerned about the inexperience along the line. I think in the long run it was the best thing to do, short term it's going to cost us early in the season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jeff Fisher not concerned about starting youth on offensive line
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...cerned-about-starting-youth-on-offensive-line

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As the St. Louis Rams opened training camp on Friday, they welcomed back two starting offensive linemen now fully recovered from offseason surgeries.

Getting left tackle Greg Robinson and left guard Rodger Saffold back from toe and shoulder surgeries was an important step for the Rams considering that duo could represent the only starting experience on the line when the Rams open the season on Sept. 13.

With Robinson and Saffold back in the fold, the Rams didn't alter the look of the right side of their line and still seem to be intent on plugging in rookies Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein at right guard and right tackle, respectively. At center, there's a three-way competition underway amongst Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney. Barnes is the only one of the three to have started an NFL game and he has just four to his name.

Even with that lack of experience across the line, Rams coach Jeff Fisher has no qualms about putting his faith in the young pups.

"I think the young guys have done a really good job," Fisher said. "And I have no reservation whatsoever when we line up for the opener, playing a rookie offensive lineman. They’re going to get plenty of reps and they’re the best that we’ll put on the field in confidence."

The real test for the line will come this week when the Rams put the pads on. To this point, the offensive line has been at a distinct disadvantage without pads and because of the talented defensive line its faced every day in practice. But the Rams are hopeful that facing such a tough test every day in practice will only benefit what projects to be the youngest offensive line in football.

And even without the pads, the top defensive linemen such as Robert Quinn, Chris Long and William Hayes have offered positive reviews for the likes of Brown and Havenstein.

"Just in talking with the defensive linemen, obviously we have a veteran group of defensive linemen, they’re saying, ‘These guys are going to be good,’" Fisher said. "Coming from Chris and Will and those guys, that’s pretty impressive."

Of course, there's still a long way to go in this camp and preseason, and the Rams would be wise to settle on a center sooner than later in an effort to build on the communication and details across the line.

But when the Rams spent five draft picks on offensive linemen they did so with every intention of building the group from the ground up. After largely ignoring the line in their first two drafts, the Rams want to build a group that not only will improve on the old, injury-prone group of recent seasons but also one that can stay in place for a long time to come.

“Well it wasn’t necessarily competition, it was just improve the position," Fisher said. "We’ve been talking since we got here about, ‘Gosh, how nice would it be to be able to go out and draft three or four offensive linemen in the same draft?’ This year we were able to do that, and five with Isaiah [Battle]. It’s an area that we had to focus on. It’s an area that we expect to be good for a long time. I can’t tell you how it’s going to unfold right now or who is going to end up starting. But like we said yesterday, we have no concern about starting young people up front. If they are playing, they are ready to play."

I'll believe it when I see it. My prediction is that Rhaney will outplay Jones and Barnes, but Fisher will start Barnes because he is more experienced. I don't think Fisher is totally comfortable with all of the youth.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4