Jeff Fisher: NFL to see more 'hybrid guys' like Barron/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher: NFL to see more 'hybrid guys' like Barron

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...isher-nfl-to-see-more-hybrid-guys-like-barron

Published: March 23, 2016 at 06:41 p.m. Updated: March 23, 2016 at 07:44 p.m.

When the Rams acquired former Buccaneers safety Mark Barron at the 2014 trade deadline, the No. 7 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft fetched just fourth- and sixth-round draft picks in return.

Six months later, the Rams thought so little of Barron's value that they declined the fifth-year option on his rookie contract.

Now Barron is the proud owner of a five-year, $45 million contract after successfully transitioning from safety to weakside linebacker when Alec Ogletree went down with a season-ending injury last October.

The position switch was an unqualified success, as Barron led the league in total stuffs -- a statistic that tracks tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

Speaking at the NFL owners meeting on Wednesday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher touched on Barron, Cardinals "moneybacker" Deone Bucannon and the rise of the hybrid player in modern football.

"(Bucannon) was that type of player coming out, you could tell," Fisher said. "... We're experiencing the same thing in L.A. right now, having re-signed Mark Barron. Same type of player, same responsibilities behind the line of scrimmage, sideline to sideline, matches tight ends, does the same things. An undersized linebacker, an oversized defensive back.

"It appears with the two of them ... there will be more of those hybrid guys that are kind of in between."

The concept of a linebacker/safety hybrid is not new to professional football. Monstrous box safety Kam Chancellor has moonlighted as a linebacker for a historically great Seahawks defense. Going back three decades, David Fulcher of the Bengals and Steve Atwater of the Broncos stalked the gridiron as linebacker-sized safeties, dominating the era prior to the pass-heavy 21st century.

The recent success of Barron and Bucannon will pave the way for more hybrid prospects such as USC star Su'a Cravens.

Asked to describe Bucannon's position, coordinator James Bettcher has essentially explained, "He is where he plays."

That goes double for teammate Tyrann Mathieu, who made a serious run at Defensive Player of the Year honors while lining up in the slot, at both safety positions and even at outside linebacker.

Will Bettcher's mindset become more prevalent at other positions?

Viewed as "tweeners" coming out of college, Michael Bennett went undrafted while Malik Jackson fell to the fifth-round. Now Bennett is regarded as one of the game's most disruptive defensive linemen and Jackson is collecting $42 million in guarantees after wrecking backfields throughout the postseason.

It's a good bet that coaches and personnel executives will start placing more value on defensive end-tackle hybrids going forward, just as Mathieu, Bucannon and Barron have raised the profile of versatile defensive backs.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i think old Adam Archuleta would have been perfect In the hybrid position that barron plays now .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think we here @ Rams On Demand have had these thoughts & discussions on this subject matter going back to late 2014 seasons. Ram standard Nickle 4-2-5 with Corners was being ran on the field more times than the base 4-3-4 back in 2014 & we saw a ton of the big Nickle (using several strong safeties) after Barron arrive. The defense got even better that was all back in 2014 season.

Gregg lost his best fastest quickest playmaker Lb'er early (who was a safety early in college). Rams also experienced early the decline(lost speed/Quickness) & then the elbow injury to their MLB'er JL. It was a no brainer to find a quicker play-maker & insert! The smaller Safety Barron was OUTSTANDING! Before the TJ Mc Donald injury we saw all three strong safeties on the field & the 3 of them (Mo/TJ/Mark) were causing issues for the offensives.

This Rams defense might be Super Charged even after the losses of JJ & Rod due to FA'cy. From the TC of last season to now.... we will see changes to many of the back 7 posts & the top back up positions. It was EJ & JJ as the starting corners. This TC we will see Trumaine & EJ. Officially this TC Trumaine will have won back his starting post from EJ. Recall EJ who had secure it away from him in 2014. The excellent consistent EJ who has started & finished games for JJ in 2014 will now take over JJ's post. I do not see a drop off in these two outside corner posts. If anything this duo will be more consistent in their play. 3rd yr Roberson will take up his won position as the third CB who can play both sides well. New arrived 5th yr smaller guy Coty Sensabaugh (a more natural Nickle) should be the 4th CB & maybe the main back up or even starter @ the starting Nickle post depending on Lamarcus Joyner possible return to deep safety as he was most of the time @ FSU.

The LB'ing this 2016 TC will see two changes from last TC. The MLB (JL to Ogltree)should be an immediate HD upgrade. The official Kings ransom paid to secure the services of the new super Knight @ weakside, to duo up with Tree has the looks of a major lightning storm.
Last yrs 4th LB'er Bates has departed with JL but Gregg has already signed up LB/safety hybrid Matt Wells. Wells was drafted last season by the Pats but due to his undersized form is a super speedy linebacker about 7 pounds heavier than Mark. Gregg has two 2nd yr smaller type Lb'ers returning too. Cameron Lynch 5-11 229 & Bryce Hager 6-1 235 both can play WSLB & MLB posts. Looks like smaller quicker is Lb'er trending here in LA.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Run defense suffers with undersized LB's on the field....I get the speed aspect...but without Brockers and Donald, the run defense would be a mess....

Why can't Barron play SS, and do the same things he does now?
Ayers, Ogletree, and ????? at LB for me....in the base 4-3....Maybe Hager...Maybe a rookie...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Run defense suffers with undersized LB's on the field....I get the speed aspect...but without Brockers and Donald, the run defense would be a mess....

Ayers, Ogletree, and ????? at LB for me....in the base 4-3....Maybe Hager...Maybe a rookie...

Hey Champ sorry to hear you too busy to come in and be with us much lately:D. I would not call AA 6-3 255 & Tree 6-2 245 undersized:cautious:. I would say that about Mark but you cannot say certifiably that Mark was the issue in run defense last season. You know whom I would aim my finger at as being the main culprit, we did have in many games in run defense @ LB'er.

I am overcome with joy:love: with the LB'ing trio of AA/Tree/Mark! But you point is well served here in my pleading to draft a talented run stuffier back up @ NT! So when teams are having success in running the ball we can have some BEEF instead of our lighter DT pass rushers inside.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is a concern of mine as well. It's not like our run defense was great before making the switch..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The position switch was an unqualified success, as Barron led the league in total stuffs -- a statistic that tracks tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
Definitely worth the trade! And if he keeps it up well worth the contract!!(y):snicker::yess::D