Jeff Fisher is our Mike Singletary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I've come to realize that the title says it all.

He's the player coach with an eye for talent who's going to put all the talent together just like Singletary did.

And think about it. Jim Harbaugh didn't add anything to great to that team when he took over (and I think he could have actually done better if he'd stuck with Alex Smith over the long term, but that's another point). It was mostly in place and ready to rock and roll when he got there.

3 NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl game later...

Well, I think we're in about the same position. Maybe one year...one draft and one more frustrating season away, but I think we're about there.

Fisher's been that guy for us... the guy to get us out of the miserable days of losing and laying the foundation for our extended championship runs, but like Moses... he's not going to see the Promised Land.

It's part of the reason I had wished Fisher were on the hot seat because Adam Gase is likely going to be available and if we retain most of our staff and hire Adam Gase as HC (let him hire his OC, but keep Williams as DC and the defensive staff if they can work together), then this O would really be set to take off with a D that is BUILT to play with a lead.

Adam Gase with our players? *shudder*... that's about as football sexy as it gets, imho... Well, almost as sexy as seeing Warner hoist the Lombardi

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not even remotely buying into that logic.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I see some similarities, hope your wrong though.

Fisher has one more season I think.. No excuses.. If we don't reach at least 9-10 wins, he's off

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't think Singletary had anything to do with getting players and I don't konw how much input Harbaugh had either, I think Baalke has been the guy doing that.

@theramsruleUK Fisher has a 5 year contract and he will see all five years unless something really crazy happens.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Singletary had nothing to do with the talent brought in. Singletary's problem was he couldn't lead the team. I don't see leadership being even remotely close to a flaw that Fisher has.

I think the only thing you can point at with Fisher that a change might help is the offensive philosophy. I think the system is fine, but the way it is put to use is the struggle. I don't think your analogy is applicable.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Hoping you are wrong man. I do worry that his loyalty to certain people will prevent us from reaching our pinnicle. Heck Vermeil had that issue (certain changes had to be forced on to him for us to peak). Windows are so small these days in most cases that if you blink you miss it. Look at how quickly it passed for the Jets, Falcons, and Texans for example. I think Fish can get us to the playoffs (at least wildcard) but I worry about him keeping us there and taking us deep. I know most would probably be happy with just seeing the playoffs, but I want more. I don't want to just get there only to drop out again (think bears 2008-2013) and wonder about all that lost chance.

No change is going to happen, so all we can do is hope for the best, and hope that Fish can do the job (the full job).

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't think Singletary had anything to do with getting players and I don't konw how much input Harbaugh had either, I think Baalke has been the guy doing that.

@theramsruleUK Fisher has a 5 year contract and he will see all five years unless something really crazy happens.
One minor objection though. He won't be here 5 years unless he gets an extension that Kroenke immediately regrets for whatever reason. It wouldn't be wise to let him go into his last contract year without an extension.

So unless there's marked improvement next year, I fully expect him to be gone.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Singletary is an old school football player that is not a good HC. He didn't relate to his players well and it was clear that the game had past him by.

Fisher is a very good HC, that has the respect of the entire league as a leader.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I say we should go egg Fishers' house!
lol. Okay, Stefen Djordjevic.

eRlyAb.jpg

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Will Fish be dropping 'trou to make an example out of Cook?
I thought Singletary won that 9er's team over after getting Vernon Davis to come out of his shell. The results just weren't on the field, largely because of the revolving door at OC.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One minor objection though. He won't be here 5 years unless he gets an extension that Kroenke immediately regrets for whatever reason. It wouldn't be wise to let him go into his last contract year without an extension.

So unless there's marked improvement next year, I fully expect him to be gone.

Players and coaches go into their final contract year all the time though so it's not unusual and I think it'll happen.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Players and coaches go into their final contract year all the time though so it's not unusual and I think it'll happen.
The problem is this though... if next year is kind of bleah and Fisher goes into the 5th year and is then really good, the Rams are pretty much forced to pay him an exorbitant price or start all over again.

It's the reason we see three year coach carousels... they get FOUR year contracts, and get fired after than penultimate year.

reggae

I've come to realize that the title says it all.

He's the player coach with an eye for talent who's going to put all the talent together just like Singletary did.

And think about it. Jim Harbaugh didn't add anything to great to that team when he took over (and I think he could have actually done better if he'd stuck with Alex Smith over the long term, but that's another point). It was mostly in place and ready to rock and roll when he got there.

3 NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl game later...

Well, I think we're in about the same position. Maybe one year...one draft and one more frustrating season away, but I think we're about there.

Fisher's been that guy for us... the guy to get us out of the miserable days of losing and laying the foundation for our extended championship runs, but like Moses... he's not going to see the Promised Land.

It's part of the reason I had wished Fisher were on the hot seat because Adam Gase is likely going to be available and if we retain most of our staff and hire Adam Gase as HC (let him hire his OC, but keep Williams as DC and the defensive staff if they can work together), then this O would really be set to take off with a D that is BUILT to play with a lead.

Adam Gase with our players? *shudder*... that's about as football sexy as it gets, imho... Well, almost as sexy as seeing Warner hoist the Lombardi
Fisher is the best thing we have going. I fully expect Snead to keep him around as long as he can. I don't want to be a team without a clue. Like the Raiders. Changing coaches annually. I want stability. More tike the Steelers. Where the coaches are there their entire career.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
When Fisher was hired I assumed he would get us into the 7-9 to 9-7 area eventually. Which was fine at the time considering the state of the Rams when he took over. But now that is no longer enough for many Rams fans. Unfulfilled potential is a coach killer. Can Fisher get us past mediocrity and into the playoffs? That remains to be seen but I sure hope so. Give him and Snead the full 5 years and let's see what happens.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The problem is this though... if next year is kind of bleah and Fisher goes into the 5th year and is then really good, the Rams are pretty much forced to pay him an exorbitant price or start all over again.

It's the reason we see three year coach carousels... they get FOUR year contracts, and get fired after than penultimate year.

Three year coaching carousels.....mmmkay howsthatshitusuallyworkout?

Fisher will get what he gets for a contract, I don't care what they pay him, especially if the Rams are kicking ass and have to pay a ton. It ain't my money!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Three year coaching carousels.....mmmkay howsthatshitusuallyworkout?

Fisher will get what he gets for a contract, I don't care what they pay him, especially if the Rams are kicking ass and have to pay a ton. It ain't my money!
I'm not saying three year coaching carousels are a good thing at all... after all, that's a big part of why I was against the last coaching change. Doesn't change that, IMO at least, without a new contract Fisher won't be here year after next because teams tend to avoid coaches being in the last year of their contract.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well that's a Kroenke problem. Fisher doesn't count against the cap, so he could really only negotiate with Kroenke about a raise if he were in the position to earn it (like that great last year you hypothesized). I seriously doubt that Fisher would look to go start this whole process over again if he were successful in his last year, so the negotiations would probably go kind of smoothly. Or, he might pull a Vermeil and leave us all hanging.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I see a lot of talking back and forth as to wether Fischer gets his 5th year....just curious:

A. for those that say he doesn't get his 5th unless he does well -what does the record have to be for him to get his 5th year (or extentsion)?

B. for those that say he generally will get his 5th year - what does the record have to be for him to get canned?

Just wondering if the line for both groups is that far apart....