Jeff Fisher expects more from Kenny Britt/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher expects more from Kenny Britt
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ff-fisher-expects-more-from-kenny-britt-in-15

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- There's not a coach in the NFL who�has a better understanding of what St. Louis Rams receiver Kenny Britt is capable of and what he needs to get there than Jeff Fisher.

Fisher drafted Britt in 2009 when he was coach of the Tennessee Titans. It's why Fisher bet on Britt in free agency last year with a one-year "prove it" deal and why he followed up again with a two-year deal early in free agency after Britt did prove to be a valuable contributor.

Britt landed a two-year deal worth $9.15 million with some incentives that could drive it up to about $14 million. It also has performance clauses that could allow Britt to void the second year of the deal if he performs at a high level in 2015.

Those clauses and incentives technically qualify as "not likely to be earned" because Britt has never reached some of the numbers it entails. In fact, Britt has never exceeded 48 catches, 775 yards or nine touchdowns in a season. He did, however, hit that career-high in catches last year for the Rams while becoming the first Rams pass catcher since 2008 to post 700 or more receiving yards.

Hitting 700 receiving yards or 50 receptions isn't bad but it's also not No. 1 caliber receiver production by any means. Which is why both Fisher and Britt believe there's a lot more that Britt can do in his second go-round with the team.

“It didn’t surprise me because obviously I know Kenny, the production didn’t surprise me," Fisher said. �"I can kind of share the same issue Kenny does and that’s we think he can be better. I think he can do better. He thinks he can be better. He thinks he can be more productive. He’s looking forward to the offensive changes. I think yeah, we should see a lot more out of Kenny this year.”

While some offensive tweaks should help, it would also help if Britt was able to get some consistent quarterback play. With Nick Foles in place, there should be more opportunities down the field for Britt (assuming that Foles has time to throw, which is a much different discussion). But Britt flashed the ability to make big plays down the field last year, leading the Rams with 13 receptions of 20 or more yards. For comparison's sake, tight end Jared Cook was next on the team with seven such plays.

The Rams have been linked to a number of top wideouts in this year's draft and with Brian Quick recovering from a serious shoulder injury, it's possible the team will look to add a wideout who could be a No. 1 type. But if they don't, it's likely because Fisher believes -- right or wrong -- that Britt can give him what he needs.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Wait till Nick Foles gets a chance to throw to Britt. As long as the Oline is upgraded like it should be I could see Britt putting up 1100 yards and 9 or 10 TDs next year.

jap

Legend
Wait till Nick Foles gets a chance to throw to Britt. As long as the Oline is upgraded like it should be I could see Britt putting up 1100 yards and 9 or 10 TDs next year.

Well, there are two issues that need to be addressed here. First, the Horns gotta give Coach Bou some talent to coach so he can build a formidable OL for the next 5-10 years. Secondly, Nick has to work on his footwork with the new QB coach and OC Frank Cignetti. Bad footwork throws accuracy well off, and we need Jolly Saint Nick to be laser sharp with downfield weapons like Kenny, a recovering Brian Quick, Sted, and incumbent Chris Givens. He needs to be especially sharp if he expects to successfully target diminutive receiver, Tavon Austin. If the Rams manage to land one of the blue chip rookie WR's, Alabama's Amari Cooper or West Virginia's Kevin White, Nick has to be sharp while easing the young kid into NFL regular season and post season play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There that is again. I wonder what it means?
It means nothing. Every player says the same things about a new scheme. Even the Saints' players were looking forward to Spagnuolo's changes before they happened.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It means nothing. Every player says the same things about a new scheme. Even the Saints' players were looking forward to Spagnuolo's changes before they happened.

Yeah, but we're not installing a new offense. So... there must be some fundamentals changing. Perhaps it's just the "simplicity" of things that Fisher has been saying about both sides of the ball.

Athos

Legend
Provided O-Line competence, I should hope so, as Foles is a massive upgrade over Hill and Davis.

jjab360

Legend
I think he may have meant what type of offensive changes were coming, not what Britt thought about the changes. Or at least that's what I'm wondering.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
With an actual QB we should expect more out of Britt and the rest of our receivers - Bailey, Austin and Quick (I'm praying he comes back and continues improving at the rate he was last year....come on Quicky!). As JAP says though we wont be throwing bombs downfield if we cant sort the O-line out.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Call me a hopeless optimist, but I think Britt is gonna thrive while playing with Foles.

It had to drive Fisher crazy to see on coaches tape all those times that an open Britt while deep was ignored by Davis and Hill. We only got a glimpse here and there of how Britt can truly help an O.

If Quick can pick up where he left off last year, plus figuring out how better to use Tavon, not to mention "my boy" Bailey, well...

Let's just say we should be a handful to defend this year in our passing game. A quantum improvement over last year, I think.

Did I mention Cook and Kendricks? Or Mason behind an improved OL for all 16 games?

Yeah, I'm kinda stoked. Lol.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Has Britt actually had a good QB to throw the ball to him? He never got to play with Sam here in the regular season. And I doubt he had anyone in Tennessee to get him the ball accurately.
I guess we'll see what kind of numbers he puts up with Foles.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher: Rams to see 'lot more out of' Kenny Britt in '15

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: April 4, 2015 at 12:06 p.m.
Updated: April 4, 2015 at 12:26 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rams-to-see-lot-more-out-of-kenny-britt-in-15

The St. Louis Rams continue to show remarkable faith in wide receiver Kenny Britt.

After signing the veteran to a two-year deal worth $9.15 million, coach Jeff Fisher recently talked about Britt playing an expanded role on offense in 2015.

"I can kind of share the same issue Kenny does and that's we think he can be better," Fisher said, per ESPN.com's Nick Wagoner. "I think he can do better. He thinks he can be better. He thinks he can be more productive. He's looking forward to the offensive changes. I think, yeah, we should see a lot more out of Kenny this year."

Britt's 48 catches led the Rams and marked a career high, but he's hardly No. 1 wideout material at this stage in his career. In six campaigns with Tennessee and St. Louis, he's never accounted for more than 800 yards in a season. Britt only looms as a potential top option for the Rams because of their failure to upgrade a middling pack of pass-catchers.

After Britt, the next best receiver for the Rams last autumn was Stedman Bailey, accounting for just 435 yards. New play-caller Frank Cignetti is on the hook to make more out of Tavon Austin, but the first-rounder's presence shouldn't preclude general manager Les Snead from tapping the draft for help.

Britt's rebound was a bonus last season for St. Louis, but we remain skeptical of the Rams until they surround new quarterback Nick Foles with a more impressive collection of playmakers.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The caveat to all this is BQ's recovery. If He is fully recovered and returns on to his emerging form of last yr before the injury, the dynamics of the WR room is good. IF he isn't or doesn't ... then I shutter to say we need to go WR once again .. .and probably fairly high. Britt is a great target .. but he is going to need someone to draw coverage off a bit.