Jeff Fisher emphasizes faith in Shaun Hill/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher emphasizes faith in Shaun Hill
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10935/fisher-emphasizes-faith-in-shaun-hill

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher is not a fan of quarterback controversies and wears it as a badge of honor that he's never had a situation where two players have really battled one-on-one for a starting job.

That's why Fisher, one day after confirming the season-ending knee injury for starter Sam Bradford, again emphasized that veteran Shaun Hill is his quarterback. Not just during Monday's practice or in this week's preseason game but for the season barring something happening to him.

Hill
"I think it's important once you make a change for whatever reason, you stick with it," Fisher said Monday. "And we're sticking with this. There's no doubt about that. That allows everybody to get comfortable and have confidence in who is under center as opposed to 'Well, what are we going to do this week?' There's no doubt that he's our guy and we're going to move forward."

The Rams moved forward with Hill as the starting quarterback for the first time in Monday's practice. Hill had some ups and downs, including throwing a few interceptions but Fisher was mostly pleased with his performance.

In fact, Fisher offered a little of his trademark dry humor when asked how Hill practiced Monday.

"He was fine," Fisher said, a smile creeping across his face. "He actually completed some passes today. He was fine. And he actually knows where to go with the football, believe it or not. He's a competitor and knows what he's doing."

For his part, Hill said he's only once been able to enter a season as a starting quarterback. That was in 2009 with San Francisco but he also made it clear that his mindset doesn't change regardless of circumstance. He does, however, acknowledge that having such a strong vote of confidence from Fisher is helpful.

"That feels good to have his confidence," Hill said. "And the team's confidence. They've all rallied around me. It's been good."

As for all the rumors of the Rams pursuing outside options at quarterback, Fisher again hit the familiar refrain of saying that Hill is the starter and they will be patient to evaluate possibilities for backups behind him.

"I don't really like to deal in hypotheticals but had Shaun not been here and we had an issue, we very well could have brought some guys in to see who has got a better feel for us and then go with them as the starter," Fisher said. "But we've already got a starter. He was clearly our two, he steps up and plays. We've really not done anything.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Watching the preseason I have faith in Hill. I thought A Davis looked good too. The Rams have more talent than last year and if this D is aggressive and plays up to its potential I think the Rams have a good chance of surprising a lot of peoples. I think if Hill plays well the Rams could make a run at the playoffs. Maybe that is the optimist in me but I am still excited for this season! If Dilfer could get it done so can Hill! (y)

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Additionally, maybe I'm too much of a Rams homer stoner but where in the hell did a record as "starter" fall on the qb and coach? Zac Stacy has a 7-9 record as starting RB, or It's 7-9 because Tavon Austin missed 3 games at the end so TA is to blame or the vanilla offense of 2013 so Shotty is 7-9, etc etc etc. Team sport it always has been and yes some hit the spotlight more than others. In the end the collective unit proves worthy. I'll say it again and again as. As a Rams brethren I am quite happy we have Hill to command our offense.

Watch out for our Rams in 2014 and beyond... and fuck the media bullshit!

Last edited:

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Ok, I'm still looking forward to the season but to be honest, my excitement level has been lowered a notch or two. It's like having a date to the big dance with the prom queen, but she gets in a car wreck. Now you're going to the dance with the girl who plays the tuba in the marching band. Just not as exciting but I'm still hoping for good results in the end. (y)