Jeff Fisher confident in getting O-line fixed/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'll believe when I see it. Right now the chances are slim to none. More Fisher CYA BS.

I think we've been watching different press conferences because I regard Fisher as a pretty straight shooter - give that it's a competitive league. He doesn't seem to coach or speak from a place of fear either, which is how I understand "CYA".

thehammer

Rookie
That's very specific, but would probably work. Do you think Clemmings is a top 10, or see him in a trade down scenario? Just interested in your opinion, not going to argue whether he's the best fit, or a top 10 player.

reminds me a little of Jason Smith....think Boudreau will look at his combine workout, his long arms and wingspan and see another Robinson.
I see another low wonderlic guy developmental guy that Fisher seems to enjoy drafting but based purely on athleticism/potential you can make the case a top 10 pick in a weak draft

thehammer

Rookie
F

Firstly, it's good to see you on this forum. I tire of wading through PD minutiae for solid football info.

Secondly, for someone who cites PFF frequently, you seem to have overlooked their data on Fairley. The following is their data from '12, '13, '14. Maybe his off field issues were bad, but his on field production was much better than average. And before we allude to extra attention to Suh, nobody playing next to Watt, Quinn, or Atkins matched Fairley's stats.

Thirdly, the reason any free agents remain at this juncture is due to financial expectations. Once the overpaying has subsided, it is AFTER the owners meetings that wise signings occur in today's market. Perhaps you were referring to other teams as "bad" to drive up the Rams' market price

Finally, are you really thehammer? I mean, he usually is better at spelling and evaluating whom the Rams will play at Center and the idea of Reynolds hired as a starter is both laughable and disturbing.... Just sayin'
View attachment 5795View attachment 5796View attachment 5797[/QUOTE]

pff and the Detroit GM mentioned that Fairly might of turned the corner...even with that comment the GM had zero problem letting him walk. Caveat Emptor...

btw look at Reynolds grades as a starter at guard...very solid per focus. Getting late in the game I can see Fisher signing Reynolds as our potential starting guard just in case

finally with Wisniewski looking everywhere but here for a job not sure your point about either Rhaney or Jones at center...weak draft for centers also....do they really use a #2 on Erving even if he still on the board at41? Might just as well go with Jones or Rhaney then draft whats left...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I've heard coaches have confidence in fixing the OL since about 2005 or so. Turns out to fix an OL you need more than 2 good players.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Upon hearing the news that Wisniewski had off season shoulder surgery I think it imprudent to sign him bk it would leave us with two starters coming off shoulder surgeries he and Saffold and FWIW my biggest reservation about Fish is that we went into last season with too many injury concerns at key positions.
As far as drafting BPA vs. need vs. BPA of need I think a team aught to have parameters on that, clearly drafting for need in the o-line panned out pretty well for Dallas last year,so JMO getting caught up in dogma on this . Certainly reaching TOO far is a mistake , but when there is a glaring need and an appropriate trade down just isn't possible , I see nothing wrong with going for need within half a round rank,especially in view of how some of these "can't miss" picks .................miss.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I still would like to see Barksdale and Wiz in Horns. IMO that would put us in a better position come draft time. I'm coming around to the idea of possibly picking a Kevin White/Amari Cooper. I'd rather not trade down. Of course i'll probably change my mind next week.

But seriously, B.Quick's shoulder injury has me concerned. I'm not so sure that if he'd stayed healthy all season and put up even decent numbers that we'd have re-signed Britt.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I still would like to see Barksdale and Wiz in Horns. IMO that would put us in a better position come draft time. I'm coming around to the idea of possibly picking a Kevin White/Amari Cooper. I'd rather not trade down. Of course i'll probably change my mind next week.

But seriously, B.Quick's shoulder injury has me concerned. I'm not so sure that if he'd stayed healthy all season and put up even decent numbers that we'd have re-signed Britt.

Totally Agree! I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that the Rams can sign two out of the three players (Barksdale, Wisniewski, Blalock) before the Draft! And, if they can then I will then be keeping my fingers crossed that somehow Cooper or White drop down to the Rams #10 Pick! And, if they don't then I personally wouldn't be too upset to see the Rams select Devante Parker (Unless the Vikings make the Rams a really good offer so they can reunite him with Teddy Bridgewater!)!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm having trouble figuring out our Oline depth chart...

If I look at the Rams official site, I see this:
LT - Robinson, Washington
LG - Saffold, Reynolds
C - Barnes, Jones
RG - Joseph o_O, Reynolds
RT - Barksdale o_O, Washington
Rhaney missing (Injured Reserve)

Seriously?
BTW... no mention of Cook at TE o_O
It's embarrassing.

Regardless, according to the team site, we have:
Barnes (C)
Joseph (G)
Washington (G)
Jones (G/C)
Robinson (T)
Barksdale (T) o_O
Reynolds (T)
Saffold (T)
Rhaney (C)

ESPN is not much better...

PFF is useless.

I know these things are in flux and all... but guys totally missing?

Help me, is this list correct?
Barnes (C)
Joseph (G)
Washington (G)
Jones (G/C)
Robinson (T)
Barksdale (T) o_O
Reynolds (T)
Saffold (T)
Rhaney (C)

Because, if it is, and the plan is to go into the season with these guys, along with a rookie or two, I will be very concerned.

With the exception of Saffold (who, while being healthy lately, has a history of injury), not one of these guys has a track record of consistent, above average play in the NFL.

Let me repeat that... not one!

It's a hodge-podge of journeymen, kids who haven't proven anything and known below average players.

If "the plan" is to leave this alone and augment it with more rookies and hope they can actually pass protect and open running lanes, I thing Jeff Fisher's confidence is misplaced.

IMO, they need to find PROVEN, reliable players to shore this thing up.

I'll wait and see if what Fisher says is just coach-speak and they actually get some proven players in here.

But, if he doesn't? I don't think those that are mentioning him losing his job over this are that far off.

It's a simple game in one respect... it is won and lost in the trenches!

lockdnram21

Legend
Totally Agree! I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that the Rams can sign two out of the three players (Barksdale, Wisniewski, Blalock) before the Draft! And, if they can then I will then be keeping my fingers crossed that somehow Cooper or White drop down to the Rams #10 Pick! And, if they don't then I personally wouldn't be too upset to see the Rams select Devante Parker (Unless the Vikings make the Rams a really good offer so they can reunite him with Teddy Bridgewater!)!
With Gregory Failing Drug test at combine there's no way cooper or White make it to us

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Though I would like some top notch FA linemen on the roster already, I applaud their patience.
I highly doubt we will be worse at the position then last year (after the injuries), by the time trying camp starts.
And this is the ultimate reality with the line.

The offensive line most assuredly won't be a strength this year. But at least there is some consolation that it will be better than last year with an eye toward the future via. the draft.

Most importantly, it won't be the ineffective money pit it has been in the past, with players signed past their prime and injury prone.

It is actually a breath of fresh air that this team is putting the team first while overpaying for need slowly becomes a bad practice left far behind.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I went back and rewatched last season's games in order to focus on Barks and he was much more inconsistent than I realized. Some have mentioned that it might have had to do with who he had next to him, and I think that is valid, but the real question here is whether Barks is a starter-level solution for this line moving forward.

I'd say NO right now given how he played last year along with the fact the Rams are not in a hurry to sign him. Also need to consider whether getting paid is gonna affect his play which is another concern for me.

So honestly even if they do sign Barks I'm thinking it changes nothing. They need to protect Foles, which means they need to draft an OT that can compete with Barks for that RT job. Which means they're not going to wait until late in the draft to do it. I just can't see that.

Same thing applies to Wiz, really. It is entirely possible that either of Jones or Rhainey will play better center than him next year. I was hell bent on seeing the Rams add him but have cooled after watching a few Raiders games and considering his shoulder surgery.

Fish and Snead like to focus positions in the draft, and I think it's time to do that with the OL. This draft favors it with talent right where and when the Rams need it. Grab OT in the first round whether it's Scherff or moving down for Flowers. Then get your OG in the second or third round. QB somewhere in rounds two through four. Even have a pick left for BPA or a WR in a very deep WR draft.

IMO that is why they're not panicking. It is also why teams aren't overpaying for these guys.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With Gregory Failing Drug test at combine there's no way cooper or White make it to us
That's not good for my "Trade Down Desires" :eek: but there is a heavy does of Defensive front seven prospects in this draft so it's not the end of my dreams....:cautious:

.. a hodge-podge of journeymen, kids who haven't proven anything and known below average players.
Fisher has no issues with a hodge-podge of aged well seasoned along with a good sized WWC cadre. That's what he has run with for 3 straight seasons.
IMO, they need to find PROVEN, reliable players to shore this thing up.
If they wanted the above then they would drafted some talented OL'er in the last three drafts...its obvious it not a concern to Fisher. if if he had drafted a half dozen OL'ers they would have still remained on the bench watching Davin Joseph, Scott Wells, Jake Long and many other like them that's been on the roster since Fisher's arrival.
It's a simple game in one respect... it is won and lost in the trenches!
Fisher agrees with that half of that. Defense Defense......
I'm having trouble figuring out our Oline depth chart...
If you will permit me to assist here I can share what I think it will be close to looking like going into the draft? One thing you will notice of Bou's OL, even though this below cadre is very small they are versatile! Its been said many times here ...there is a lot of major work to do in this area. No way to really know where these OL'ers will line up. Here's a list of OL'ers below:

Garrett Reynolds 27-7 [RT/RG]
Rodger Saffold 26-4 [RT/RG/LG/LT]
Tim Barnes 26-4 [OC/LG]
Brandon Washington 26-2 [LG/LT/RG]
Steven Baker 26-1 [RT]
Barrett Jones 24-2 [OC/RT/LT/LG]
Travis Bond 24-1 [RG]
Greg Robinson 22-2 [LT/LG]
Demetrius Rhaney 22-R [OC/LG]

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, it's actually kinda funny....No way it'll be like that week 1...now week 12...possible
Of course there will be @ least another half dozen valid OL candidates added by the time TC opens but from the current Ram 9 we have now this is what we would expect to see in TC lining up at.

ORT-Saffold/Baker/Reynolds
ORG-Reynolds/Bond/Saffold
OC-Barnes/Rhaney/Jones
OLG-Washington/Jones/Robinson
OLT-Robinson/Jones/Washington

If they had to line up today & play this is what you should see. Each of my listed starters has line up in these posts in an actual NFL game played throughout. As you can see depending on the OL'er drafted the Rams have a very versatile unit that can be moved as the unit needs them too. Like Saffold, Reynold, Baker & Bond are primarily right side OL'ers. The left side guys are Robinson & Washington. The great benefit of a Barrett Jones is he can line up anywhere & make very few technical errors. Big deal with Bou!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
7 mil is taken out to account for the draft picks, practice squad, and extra 2 players that will count against the cap to make a 53 man roster. Right now only the top 51 contracts count towards the cap.
And according to Demoff, he never worries about "Setting $$$ aside" for the draft class. As you stated, the top 51 count in the offseason. Since the new CBA, the draft picks are all slotted, so there is no guess work when it comes to the negotiations. Per Demoff, the $$$ that is used to pay the Draft class, comes from the players on the roster they are replacing.

Everyone always seems to want to act as if this is a separate expense, and must be set aside. This was a topic that Demoff addressed directly at one of the Season Ticket Holder luncheons last year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Let's not forget that there might be some oline guys that shake loose after the draft or even in training camp. I definitely think we need to leave FA before OTAs with a starter (Wiz, Blalock or Barksdale) but other than that, I'm not crying. We have many options in the draft and options even as the summer starts up.

I think the net positives come out for getting Barksdale back. To me, the advantages of having him back slightly eek out either Wiz or Blalock.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the net positives come out for getting Barksdale back. To me, the advantages of having him back slightly eek out either Wiz or Blalock.
?:huh:?Can you help me out a little bit more defined on this? I not sure I understand your opinion here.

I agree 100% with your first paragraph.