Jeff Fisher calling the defense; Will Walton be fired?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
So I posted in another topic how I noticed after halftime Jeff Fisher was calling the defensive plays. Well I went back and looked at the game and that is indeed what happened. I wonder if that's why the defense at least looked a little better in the 2nd half?

Tim Walton stood on the sideline with his arms folded while Fisher called the plays the entire 2nd half. I took a couple snapshots from the game:

So does this hint to us that Walton will be relieved of his duties as DC? I was surprised to see Fisher yank the play calling duties like that.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 321
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 294

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
thats a good find.. was it really the whole half?

I wouldnt be surprised if he was fired to be honest

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
thats a good find.. was it really the whole half?

I wouldnt be surprised if he was fired to be honest
Yes sir. With 3:00 to go in the 4th qtr he's still calling the plays. Walton still with his arms folded lol

duckhunter

Starter
I thought they played more bump and run in the 2nd half.

I agree you need flexibility and unpredictability in your usage of coverages. Personally, I thought we played too much off coverage when we needed to allow our DBs to compete.

In most cases, your good DBs want to compete heads up rather than play off. The players know it's a cat and mouse game.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Nice job.

I remember hearing Fisher mic'd up a while ago, and he was saying to Walton, "I know it's hard Tim".

Who says that to really good DC? I mean, you know Fisher would never be saying that to Williams.

A55VA6

Legend
Nice job.

I remember hearing Fisher mic'd up a while ago, and he was saying to Walton, "I know it's hard Tim".

Who says that to really good DC? I mean, you know Fisher would never be saying that to Williams.
Yeah it was against the Bears. "Everybody listen to me okay? Tim, I want you to call it. We're gonna talk personnel, we're gonna sub, we're all gonna calm down. I know it's hard"

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Nice job.

I don't know. Who knows the context and who knows what the normal chatter is on the headsets. I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on 5 words.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Oh? I wonder how long he's been doing this and if our defensive struggles line up with him taking over the helm.

I was wondering why Walton would just suddenly stop calling man pressure and blitzes like he was doing, looks like old Fish likes his zones a little too much to let them go.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well Iknow i saw a look on Fishers face that wasn't his usual confidence and I interpreted it to be disgust,so yeah maybe we're getting a new DC

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
In that game against the Bear's where he was mic'ed up he was also telling Walton to play some 2 Man rather than just letting him deal with it (because their scheme was "killing us" in his words). I suppose that's maybe a head coaches job though...I don't know!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, if it's true it gives me confidence. A good coach intervenes and makes changes when something is not working.

He did a similar thing earlier in the year with the offense, going back to running the ball.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Well, if it's true it gives me confidence. A good coach intervenes and makes changes when something is not working.

He did a similar thing earlier in the year with the offense, going back to running the ball.
The switch on offense seemed to help, his off coverage preference seems to hurt us. I'm thinking the worst thing that ever happened to us was Bountygate. With Greg Williams you had an aggressive DC that applied pressure at all levels. Big risk big reward for sure, but youre going for the W and I'd rather go down punchin rather than protecting.

A55VA6

Legend
Interesting tidbit.. I asked Randy Karraker on Twitter what he thought about Fisher taking over play call duties in the 2nd half and he said that this has been happening since the Seattle MNF game. No wonder our defense has looked somewhat better the 2nd half of games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

This

F. Mulder

Starter
I also agree but think his self-examination as well as that of his coaches and players needs to be very very brutally honest about where things failed and what the plan is to not ever let that happen again.

I hope to see fewer pies in the face during preseason and more players getting quality reps and development. This team has few "stars" who only need a quarter of play. I know you risk injury but you could just see from the get go this team came out of preseason flat. It felt like they just thought they'd turn on a switch but the damn power went out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like others hopes Fisher makes some changes to his staff in the offseason. With the Titans cleaning house he will have his pick of his former staff as well. Tim Walton needs to go and I can only hope that Fisher and Gregg Williams will have no hard feelings after not keeping his son Blake.

I think all of us would be much happier with Gregg Williams as the DC next year and either Walton is fired or demoted, but I for one would like not have Walton back next season. IMO Ray Sherman the WR coach should be sent walking as well.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I like others hopes Fisher makes some changes to his staff in the offseason. With the Titans cleaning house he will have his pick of his former staff as well. Tim Walton needs to go and I can only hope that Fisher and Gregg Williams will have no hard feelings after not keeping his son Blake.

I think all of us would be much happier with Gregg Williams as the DC next year and either Walton is fired or demoted, but I for one would like not have Walton back next season. IMO Ray Sherman the WR coach should be sent walking as well.

I tend to agree with you here.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Fish hired Walton. So, if Walton is under-performing, it's still on Fisher IMHO.