Jeff Fisher and Les Snead Need To Improve In 2015 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
:liar:

Christian Bryant signed a 2 year, $960,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including an average annual salary of $480,000. In 2015, Bryant will earn a base salary of $435,000. Bryant has a cap hit of $435,000.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/christian-bryant/

I just happen to think that Snead has done an outstanding job in comparison to the last few GM's the Rams have had in here. Well Done :bow:Snead!
Maybe he wrote Christian Bryant instead of Michael Sam. The likelihood of Bryant playing last year wasn't good because of the serious injury he suffered in college. He might be able to contribute some this year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
In 2013 instead of trading up for Tavon Austin with the 8th overall pick, they could have stayed put at 16 and taken safety Eric Reid instead. Safety has been one of the Rams’ biggest need since 2013. In that Austin trade to move up to eight, the Rams surrendered their second round pick as well, and with that pick the Bills took 2013 defensive rookie of the year, linebacker Kiko Alonso.

Sure, the Rams took a linebacker earlier in the draft, but instead of taking Ogletree at 30, wouldnt it be nice to have a pro bowl center like Travis Frederick?

God I want to go on full on rage mode.

This whole damn article is about players not on the team that drafted them...but Kiko isn't on the damn Bills anymore!!!!! Who also tore his ACL like Isaiah Pead.

And Travis Frederick was a blasted pick. Goddamnit could you imagine if the Rams took him @ 30?

Every year there's some stupid ass article like this that kills my interest in the draft, slowly. And this year is no fuckin exception.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I look at these things a little differently. I think you have to consider impact players as part of this also. Overall I have been happy with the way they drafted. My only gripe is that the only game changer/pro bowler type (and this can change over time) is Aaron Donald. They have had a lot prime picks. Also I think its worth noting that even after 3 years there is still concerns with the Oline, QB and WR. I think last year was there best year, now if we can draft some offensive players to go with this great defense they have put together we can start talking about playoff games and brushing articles like this to the side.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
by Blaine Grisak
http://ramblinfan.com/2015/03/26/jeff-fisher-and-les-snead-need-to-improve-in-2015-nfl-draft/

The 2015 NFL Draft is quickly approaching. Over the past three years, St. Louis Rams general manager Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher have been praised for the jobs that they have done in the drafts. In their first year they pulled off the infamous RGIII trade, the next year they got a steal in Alec Ogletree at the bottom of the first round, and last year they got another steal and drafted defensive Rookie of the Year in Aaron Donald.

However, the two have not done as well as some may have thought. Horseshoe Heroes, also apart of the FanSided Network, put together a chart consisting of the percentage of selections still on the active roster from 2012-2014, the exact years that Fisher and Snead have been in St. Louis. What might come as a surprise is that the Rams rank in the bottom ten in the NFL as they have only retained 64.3% of their selections.

eTdrGf6.jpg

Compare that to some of the league’s best teams like the Denver Broncos who retain 80%, New England Patriots who have retained 77.3%, and Green Bay Packers who retain 71.4%.

Over the past three years the Rams have had a total of 28 picks, nine of which were top 50, thats the most of any team in the NFL over that span. Of those 28 picks only 18 are on the active roster. Remember, the active roster doesn’t include Isaiah Pead, Brian Quick, or Barrett Jones.

Here’s a recap of the last three drafts:

1-14 – Michael Brockers

2-33 – Brian Quick

2-39 – Janoris Jenkins

2-50 – Isaiah Pead

3-65 – Trumaine Johnson

4-96 – Chris Givens

5-150 – Rokevious Watkins

6-171 – Greg Zuerlein

7-209 – Aaron Brown

7-252 – Daryl Richardson

1-8 – Tavon Austin

1-30 – Alec Ogletree

3-71 – T.J. McDonald

4-113 – Barrett Jones

5-149 – Brandon McGee

5-160 – Zac Stacy

1-2 – Greg Robinson

1-13 – Aaron Donald

2-41 – Lamarcus Joyner

3-75 – Tre Mason

4-110 – Maurice Alexander

6-188 – E.J. Gaines

6-214 – Garrett Gilbert

7-226 – Mitchell Van Dyk

7-241 – Christian Bryant

7-249 – Michael Sam

7-250 – Demetrius Rhaney

While the Rams may have had 28 picks and 21 of those are on the team’s full roster, if you take an even deeper look into it, it becomes even less impressive. As I’ve pointed out the Rams have 21 players that they’ve drafted still on the full roster.

However, of those 21 players, 11 include Tavon Austin, Greg Robinson, Brian Quick, Isaiah Pead, Chris Givens, Barrett Jones, Brandon McGee, Zac Stacy, Lamarcus Joyner, Maurice Alexander, and Demetrius Rhaney, all of which have either shown a couple flashes or haven’t had much of an impact.

On that list, aside from Austin, Robinson, Quick and maybe Joyner, how many of these players will be on the team next year or the year after? Maybe just those two, three if they are lucky.

What’s even more disappointing is the players that the Rams have missed on or let slide by them. In 2012, the Rams traded away the 45th overall selection to Chicago who in turn selected Alshon Jeffrey. Five picks later, the Rams selected Isaiah Pead.

In their careers Pead has 17 carries for 75 yards and has torn his ACL. Jeffrey has 198 catches for 2,920 yards and 20 touchdowns.

In 2013 instead of trading up for Tavon Austin with the 8th overall pick, they could have stayed put at 16 and taken safety Eric Reid instead. Safety has been one of the Rams’ biggest need since 2013. In that Austin trade to move up to eight, the Rams surrendered their second round pick as well, and with that pick the Bills took 2013 defensive rookie of the year, linebacker Kiko Alonso.

Sure, the Rams took a linebacker earlier in the draft, but instead of taking Ogletree at 30, wouldnt it be nice to have a pro bowl center like Travis Frederick?

That 2013 draft was thin, and the Rams did good getting players like T.J. McDonald and Stedman Bailey, but it’s in the first couple of rounds that they could be really helpful now.

Lastly, looking at last season. Greg Robinson or Sammy Watkins are still the top selections for the Rams. Both are question marks, but given the Rams current situation, I stick with Robinson and although they could have traded up or back for Odell Beckham Jr., Donald is a top defensive tackle.

However going into the second round, the Rams took Joyner when they could have taken a potential number one receiver in Jordan Matthews. They took Maurice Alexander when they could have, once again, taken a top receiving threat in Martinis Bryant.

Moving into the later rounds they took Garrett Gilbert, when they could have traded up two spots to take a quarterback with some upside in Tajh Boyd.

The Rams were stacked with 7th round picks last season which you can only hope you get lucky, which they did not. However, a player that went undrafted that they could have drafted in that 7th round is guard Andrew Norwell who was solid for the Panthers last season. Instead the Rams took Mitchell Van Dyk and Christian Bryan, both who aren’t even on the roster.

Now, Im not here to bash the Rams recent results in drafting. It’s a lot easier for me to see what they could have done after the fact. Fisher and Snead have drafted promising players, however, they have also just done an average job and made crucial mistakes in the early rounds in their tenure.

The 2015 draft will be a big one for the St. Louis Rams. They have numerous holes on the offensive line and holes in the secondary that they need to fill. In order to take the next step in 2015, this draft will have to be a good one for Fisher and Snead.

A team full of veterans that is close to the cap needs to release vets every year and relies on cheap labor rookies to fill the voids. The Rams are not in that situation yet but soon will be. I know the Rams did miss on a few picks but overall they have drafted pretty well. The last draft was more about BPA than need and they had their best draft. That is another area where good teams are able to maximize their draft haul over teams riddled with needs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No offense X, but Dxmissile was right, this article is trash.
Don't shoot the messenger, guys. I have a link in my bookmarks that takes me to hourly updates of Rams news.
I just post them here on occasion for you guys to destroy. lol.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Trash article.

Firstly, we're getting production from Brockers, Jenkins, Quick, Austin, Ogletree, McDonald, Joyner, Donald, Mason. We're not getting much from Pead, Barrett Jones and Maurice Alexander - these are the ones within the first 4 rounds of picks. That's not bad. Yes some of those guys aren't at as high a level as we'd hoped but we're getting production.

Second - we GOT production out of some later round guys - Givens, Richardson, Brown on ST.

Third - we got some steals late rounds - McGee, Zac Stacy, Zuerlein, Gaines etc.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'd argue there have been more questionable picks than just Austin(and this isn't a 20/20 hindsight thing, either). And I'm not sure I agree with them building from the inside out. If that were true, we'd have more O-line picks in the top rounds than just GRob. They have gone from the inside out on defense, though.

Good point. Our OL strategy hasn't worked out. Could be a reflection of over reliance on the quality of the coaching staff. I don't know.

nighttrain

Legend
I look at these things a little differently. I think you have to consider impact players as part of this also. Overall I have been happy with the way they drafted. My only gripe is that the only game changer/pro bowler type (and this can change over time) is Aaron Donald. They have had a lot prime picks. Also I think its worth noting that even after 3 years there is still concerns with the Oline, QB and WR. I think last year was there best year, now if we can draft some offensive players to go with this great defense they have put together we can start talking about playoff games and brushing articles like this to the side.
At the very least you are forgetting Quinn, and Brockers and Ogletree are darn close.
train

WestCoastRam

Legend
Agree with all that the article focuses on a metric that has a marginal relationship to success.

In fact, unless you hold the Rams to an unrealistic rating of draft success, they've done a very good job in the draft since Snisher took over. Have they done the greatest, no. But I think they've drafted above average. I'd love it if they finally got a blue-chip player in one of these drafts (Aaron Donald could finally be it) but outside of that, I don't have any complaints. Every team will miss on players in the draft, it's just how well you mitigate that.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
At the very least you are forgetting Quinn, and Brockers and Ogletree are darn close.
train

Quinn was not this regimes draft pick that's why i didn't mention him. It may be semantics but as good as Brockers is I wouldnt call him a pro bowl talent but can see him getting there possibly and as far as Tree goes I'm not sure he is that close.

bandre10

UDFA
Name
Brandon
I personally havent been a fan of Snead and Fishers draft picks. Brian Quick over Alshon Jeffery? Trading up for Tavon when we could of stayed put and drafted Eric Reid or Kenny Vacarrao and keep our 2nd round pick. We reached on both of those draft picks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd argue there have been more questionable picks than just Austin(and this isn't a 20/20 hindsight thing, either). And I'm not sure I agree with them building from the inside out. If that were true, we'd have more O-line picks in the top rounds than just GRob. They have gone from the inside out on defense, though.

As stated above I think Snead has done a very good job. I had issues with the 2013 trade that permitted Snead to select Tavon Austin.

If that trade had not been made the 2013 draft might have looked like this in rounds one & two. "might have been could have been"

First rd. #16- OG Kyle Long (starting OLG) for the Bears Pro Bowl)
First rd. #30-OC Travis Frederick (starting Center for the Cowboys Pro Bowl)
Second rd.#46-LB Jamie Collins (starting budding star in the 2014 SB winners)
vs.
First rd.#8-PR/SL/RB Tavon Austin (Reserve)
First rd.#30-LB Alex Ogletree(starter)

Those two Pro Bowl Offensive Linemen would sure come in handy this past season & in 2015. Rams OL would have four highly talented OL'ers in the starting line up (Frederick/Kyle Long/Saffold/Robinson) WOW! :love::bueller::palm:

Three starters vs One starter. The fancy playtoy WR contingent will always strongly disagree . It sure would be nice to see the Rams helmets in the pro bowl line up again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately for us, there are a lot of sports journalists out there but very few have anything of worth to say. This guy is no exception. The article just screams, "I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally havent been a fan of Snead and Fishers draft picks. Brian Quick over Alshon Jeffery? Trading up for Tavon when we could of stayed put and drafted Eric Reid or Kenny Vacarrao and keep our 2nd round pick. We reached on both of those draft picks.

If we're going to lament what we could have had, can we at least ask for good players in hindsight? Kenny Vaccaro was one of the worst safeties in the NFL last year before ending the year on the bench and Eric Reid is extremely average.

jjab360

Legend
If we're going to lament what we could have had, can we at least ask for good players in hindsight? Kenny Vaccaro was one of the worst safeties in the NFL last year before ending the year on the bench and Eric Reid is extremely average.
Mcdonald is leaps and bounds better than both of those guys and if he continues the path he's on will be one of the best safeties in the NFL.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't know about past numbers or who we could have had when. But I don't need that to tell me me we need a good draft. I just have to look at the OL.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Most of those teams in front of us should get rid of more of their draft picks.

Jacksonville and Tennessee near the top? Not very good rosters.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Also - there are a lot of people who still see a whole heap of potential in both our guys there - Austin and Quick (Quick was showing it before his injury).

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree.

I'd rather have 5 impact players out of 25 drafted than 1 impact player out of 40 picks that are still on the roster.

It isn't how many are on the roster, it's how much are they contributing?

If the Rams had 5 impact players (akin to what Donald brings to the team), I'd pretty much guarantee that they'd be doing a lot better.