Jaylon smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robert

Rookie
Anyone think jaylon smith will fall to the 2nd round due to his injury and if he does do you take him? I'm not to sure if he can play in the middle or where ayers plays but thought I would ask

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wish I had seen more of Smith. I doubt the knee pushes him down the draft board. I read that it isn't that bad of an injury. Now, the little bit of Smith that I saw, I thought he moved in traffic better than JL but I didn't think he was a hard hitting run stopper like some of us crave. I thought Mosley a few years ago was better, but Smith seems to be talked about as being worth a higher pick than CJ was.

I know one thing. Some people here will be mighty fed up if the Rams traded up and picked Smith instead of a QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah. If the rumors are right, he was in the running for a top 5 selection before the injury. If that's true, I doubt he drops out of the top 15.

Robert

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was just asking I seen a mock where he fell to the 2nd round just wondering if he did if people on here would jump all over him but I agree I don't see him falling that far if he does I guarantee someone will trade back into the first round to get him

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not sure what is correct. Now I read that he has a torn ligament that requires surgery. Other report said the knee injury really wasn't that bad. If it is ACL surgery, yes it could push him down a bit. But I don't think to round 2. A team that has talent and is in the playoffs could pick him. If they don't have an urgent need they could sit him for the season. Theoretically the Rams could do that with JL on contract for the rest of the year. Let Smith learn the ropes for a year.

However I would rather they land a top QB and finally end the misery.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the knee checks out, he's top 10 easy. If the knee doesn't check out he could fall far. It was an ugly injury and I've heard it was worse than originally thought

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I read that it isn't that bad of an injury.............I am not sure what is correct. Now I read that he has a torn ligament that requires surgery.
ACL & MCL......pretty serious reconstruction.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ry-updates-on-notre-dame-stars-leg-and-return

"What we do know is there's going to be a full recovery," the source said. "The repair is solid, and he's very optimistic. We're optimistic. And Jaylon is ready to get going with his rehab."

The repair of the ACL and LCL "couldn't have gone better," per the source. Though clearly significant, the ligament damage was the lesser of the concerns for the All-America performer thought to be a lock for a first-round NFL draft selection.

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly told reporters Smith suffered a "significant knee injury" after the game, according to Irish Sports Daily.

http://www.uhnd.com/articles/football/jaylon-smith-injury-update-expected-full-recovery-26781/

Jaylon Smith Injury Update: Expected to Make Full Recovery
Posted by: Frank Vitovitch in Notre Dame Football January 10, 2016

The good news for Notre Dame’s 2015 Butkus Award winning linebacker Jaylon Smith is that he is expected to make a full recovery from the nasty knee injury that earned him a ride off the field on a cart in last week’s Fiesta Bowl. The bad news is that Smith’s draft status still remains very much in question and the junior has less than a week to make his decision as to whether or not to return for a senior season and rehab a year before entering the NFL or entering this year and rehabbing with whoever rolls the dice in April’s draft on him.

Most mock drafts right now don’t have Smith in the first round, but a lot of that has to do with all of the uncertainty currently surrounding Smith. This latest news that Smith is expected to fully recover and that the injury was not quite as extensive as once feared, however, should move Smith back into an easy first round selection. Rumors immediately following his injury were that Smith suffered nerve damage in his knee – something that likely would have caused him to drop out of first round consideration.

Assuming his injury checks out as fairly “normal”, it is hard to image Smith falling out of the first round. A year ago running back Todd Gurley was drafted 10th overall after suffering a torn ACL in his senior season. The running back position is not nearly as much of a premium in the draft as linebacker – especially when the linebacker in question is a freakish athlete such as Smith.

Even with the successful surgery though, it is still likely that Smith will miss a chunk of playing time in 2016 whether it be on the collegiate or professional level. Gurley missed the first few weeks of the 2016 season and he suffered his injury much earlier in the season that Smith. A conservative estimate right now is that Smith could miss half of the 2016 season as he recovers.

Smith has until January 15th to make his decision – a decision that will likely come down to whether or not he and his advisors feel he can come back in enough time to display the explosiveness that has become the norm for him in 2016 to play his way back into the top 10 or if it’s in his best interest to recover with a NFL team without the added pressure of classes like he would have as a collegian. Smith’s $5MM loss of value insurance should he fall into the second round will be considered as well. Should Smith slide to the second round, he could collect $5MM and rehab with a professional franchise’s training staff.

All we know for now, however, is that the injury is not as bad as once feared and Smith should fully recover both of which should be music to all Notre Dame fans ear’s regardless of what jersey Smith wears next fall.

Ram65

Legend
LAChamp46 beat with injury facts but here is a Mel Kiper JR....updated slot for Smith.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-je...ck-draft-jets-pick-notre-dame-lb-jaylon-smith

Mel Kiper's updated mock draft: Jets pick Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith
9:17 AM ET
  • i

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writee

Projecting the 20th overall pick is hard enough the week of the draft, let alone in mid-January, so take this for what it's worth -- an educated guess. In hisupdated mock, our man Mel Kiper Jr. has the New York Jets selecting Notre Dame outside linebacker Jaylon Smith.

It makes sense from a need standpoint. The Jets were hurting so much they used 294-pound lineman Sheldon Richardson at outside linebacker for the final month of the season. You probably can pencil Lorenzo Mauldin into one spot for 2016, but the other outside position is wide open, assuming Calvin Pace(free agent) doesn't return.

Picking Smith would be controversial because of his health. He underwent knee surgery Jan. 7 to repair the ACL and LCL, a pretty big deal. Presumably, he won't be ready for training camp and, based on the timeline for others with similar injuries, he'd probably miss a portion of the season.

Todd Gurley's successful rookie season with the St. Louis Rams will help Smith's stock, but Gurley had about a six-week head start on his ACL rehab. He still missed the first two games, by the way. It'll be a fascinating story as we get closer to the draft because Smith is the complete package from a talent standpoint. He was projected as a top-5 pick before the injury.

The team that drafts Smith will have to be patient and willing to accept some risk. Could the Jets be that team?

Me
He hits hard. He flies to the ball. He is quick and fast to avoid blockers but improved in fighting off blocks. The Snead could do some wheeling and dealing to get him if he really starts to slide. What will the Rams do on the replace JL if they let him go? Could phase him out with Smith.

So many needs so few picks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
LAChamp46 beat with injury facts but here is a Mel Kiper JR....updated slot for Smith.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-je...ck-draft-jets-pick-notre-dame-lb-jaylon-smith

Mel Kiper's updated mock draft: Jets pick Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith
9:17 AM ET
  • i

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writee

Projecting the 20th overall pick is hard enough the week of the draft, let alone in mid-January, so take this for what it's worth -- an educated guess. In hisupdated mock, our man Mel Kiper Jr. has the New York Jets selecting Notre Dame outside linebacker Jaylon Smith.

It makes sense from a need standpoint. The Jets were hurting so much they used 294-pound lineman Sheldon Richardson at outside linebacker for the final month of the season. You probably can pencil Lorenzo Mauldin into one spot for 2016, but the other outside position is wide open, assuming Calvin Pace(free agent) doesn't return.

Picking Smith would be controversial because of his health. He underwent knee surgery Jan. 7 to repair the ACL and LCL, a pretty big deal. Presumably, he won't be ready for training camp and, based on the timeline for others with similar injuries, he'd probably miss a portion of the season.

Todd Gurley's successful rookie season with the St. Louis Rams will help Smith's stock, but Gurley had about a six-week head start on his ACL rehab. He still missed the first two games, by the way. It'll be a fascinating story as we get closer to the draft because Smith is the complete package from a talent standpoint. He was projected as a top-5 pick before the injury.

The team that drafts Smith will have to be patient and willing to accept some risk. Could the Jets be that team?

Me
He hits hard. He flies to the ball. He is quick and fast to avoid blockers but improved in fighting off blocks. The Snead could do some wheeling and dealing to get him if he really starts to slide. What will the Rams do on the replace JL if they let him go? Could phase him out with Smith.

So many needs so few picks.

Interesting that Mel projects him at outside linebacker, He played mlb. I questioned him as an mlb because I didn't think he was a heavy hitter in the middle. I know not all teams want an old school mlb, but after what thing a chasers on the Rams for years, I still think it is best for the mlb to be a strong run stuffer like the great London Fletcher.