Jay Cutler benched for.. Jimmy Clausen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would have benched him weeks ago. As I said in the other Cutler thread I don't see what would be the point of bringing in Cutler to back Sam up over Hill. He's not going to stop throwing picks all of a sudden - its just how he plays the game. So we'd pay big money for a backup - or he'd start ahead of Sam and we'd end up with a worse record because he'd throw away too many games.

I don't see how we'd have a worse record with Cutler than we do now with Hill and Davis. I think we'd have a much better record with Cutler.

Cutler isn't great but he's not terrible either. And while he has turned it over 24 times this year, he also has accounted for 30 TDs. Whereas Hill and Davis have accounted for 19 TDs and 17 TOs. And Cutler wouldn't have the same burden place on him in St. Louis that he has this year in Chicago due to their 32nd ranked defense.

While I think Sam would be better over 16 games, we don't have that option because Sam hasn't played in the last 25 games and it's hard to have any confidence in his ability to start 16 games for us next year.

We can win 10+ games with Cutler.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well, by the same token, Detroit is scoring less than the Rams and San Diego is in the ball park of Chicago. So Rivers and Stafford would be off the list too?
Chicago is a mess. Brandon Marshall is a bigger diva than Cutler and Forte may have hit that magic 29 year old age
Is it all Cutler?

Stafford. Yes. IMO, he's just another overrated, overpaid QB with a big arm who has lived on being able to throw the ball up to Calvin Johnson.

Rivers on the other hand is a darn good QB who isn't working with nearly the talent Cutler has at his disposal.

Forte looks good to me. When they give him the ball. And from what I understood Cutler is the one of the reasons Marshall is in Chicago. They've worked well together on two teams now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford. Yes. IMO, he's just another overrated, overpaid QB with a big arm who has lived on being able to throw the ball up to Calvin Johnson.

Rivers on the other hand is a darn good QB who isn't working with nearly the talent Cutler has at his disposal.

Forte looks good to me. When they give him the ball. And from what I understood Cutler is the one of the reasons Marshall is in Chicago. They've worked well together on two teams now.

Yea, Forte still has the ability. He's still a very good HB. Stafford is overrated and overpaid.

But again, overrated and overpaid Stafford or Cutler would help this team win 10-12 games.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yea, Forte still has the ability. He's still a very good HB. Stafford is overrated and overpaid.

But again, overrated and overpaid Stafford or Cutler would help this team win 10-12 games.

Maybe. Maybe not as both are VERY prone to turnovers which doesn't fit a Jeff Fisher team one iota.

Methinks they should keep their garbage time scores (that have few fooled some) right where they are now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe. Maybe not as both are VERY prone to turnovers which doesn't fit a Jeff Fisher team one iota.

Methinks they should keep their garbage time scores (that have few fooled some) right where they are now.

I think maybe is the appropriate answer.

And the garbage time argument just isn't a good one.

Lesson

Oh, really?

I'd need to see what Stafford's stats look like without Megatron on the field. This might just be me, but I think he is completely bailed out by Megatron, similar to how Green bails out Dalton.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd need to see what Stafford's stats look like without Megatron on the field. This might just be me, but I think he is completely bailed out by Megatron, similar to how Green bails out Dalton.

Calvin definitely boosts his stats. He wasn't that good this year without him(5 TDs to 3 Ints; 82.3 QB Rating across 3 games against fairly weak competition without CJ). But again, he's good enough for us.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I can deal with that BS. I've had enough BS for the past 11 years, that I've built up a tolerance to it.

Just give me passing TDs. If that means I have to endure some BS, then let me go fetch my plate.

X my friend, believe me, I have way too many bears friends, Cutler is not the solution. My brother is a die hard bears fan. He's been a pretty big cutler supporter, but at this point he's given up. Also no offense or anything, but I don't understand where this perception of Cutler being a TD machine comes from. He throws just as many picks, if not more, than TDs.

Cutler is no better, maybe worse than Bradford IMO. Just as much chance of getting hurt, or sucking it up All season and throwing away games. Cutler is impossible to fix. End of story. Trestman was supposed to be the QB God and he couldn't fix Cutler, so what makes people think we could do that? I just don't get it.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Also, go look at what Cutler did before Marshall and Jeffery were around and before he had a decent O-Line. If Cutler is doing what he's doing now with Marshall, Jeffery, Forte, an offensive minded head coach, and a decent o-line, why would he be better with what we have?

I guess I just have really strong opinions on this. Cutler isn't gonna solve any problems here. I would honestly rather stick with Bradford and a rookie and save the cap space.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Works for me. The Bears offense with more fire power has scored 8 more TDs than the Rams and that includes 7 garbage time TDs so far.

TD Pass to Jeffrey with seconds left down 31-8 vs. Saints.
Two TDs vs Cowboys after being down 38-13.
TD Pass after being down 45-0 vs. Packers.
Two TDs vs. Patriots after being down 45-7 and 48-15, respectively.
Mid 4th Quarter TD down 24-7 vs. Miami

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X my friend, believe me, I have way too many bears friends, Cutler is not the solution. My brother is a die hard bears fan. He's been a pretty big cutler supporter, but at this point he's given up. Also no offense or anything, but I don't understand where this perception of Cutler being a TD machine comes from. He throws just as many picks, if not more, than TDs.

Cutler is no better, maybe worse than Bradford IMO. Just as much chance of getting hurt, or sucking it up All season and throwing away games. Cutler is impossible to fix. End of story. Trestman was supposed to be the QB God and he couldn't fix Cutler, so what makes people think we could do that? I just don't get it.

That has happened over a season of games a total of ZERO times in his career. Every single year in his career, he's thrown more TDs than Ints. I don't know where that perception comes from.

He throws a lot of Ints but he still throws more TDs than Ints.

Cutler isn't better than Sam. But he hasn't missed the last 25 games. If we had a healthy Sam, this wouldn't be a discussion. But we don't.

And no, there isn't just as much of a chance he gets hurt. The guy has played 15+ games in every regular season but two in his career.(discounting his rookie year)

Cutler doesn't need to be fixed to be valuable to us. He's not ever going to be Aaron Rodgers. He's not ever going to be the guy his physical tools allow him to be. He is what he is. He's an average starting QB. But so is Carson Palmer and yet Arizona did EXTREMELY well with Palmer this year.

With our defense, we don't need anything more than an average QB to contend. Especially if our OL is improved which allows our running game to do more damage.

There's nothing to get. The people in favor of this move don't think we're going to "fix" Cutler. They, or at least I, think that we can win with Cutler in his current form.

Also, go look at what Cutler did before Marshall and Jeffery were around and before he had a decent O-Line. If Cutler is doing what he's doing now with Marshall, Jeffery, Forte, an offensive minded head coach, and a decent o-line, why would he be better with what we have?

I guess I just have really strong opinions on this. Cutler isn't gonna solve any problems here. I would honestly rather stick with Bradford and a rookie and save the cap space.

I looked. He did about the same thing he's doing now...except the team won because they had a good defense.

Cutler will solve a problem here...a big one. The QB position problem. He will not elevate this team but he will allow the team to achieve what it can achieve. The team this year is a playoff caliber team. We underachieved because of the QB position. That would not happen with Cutler. And that's not because I think Cutler is great. It's because I think he's adequate.

Athos

Legend

Garbage Time stats are the EXACT SAME reason those are RamsTalk fueled their hatred for Bradford, especially "He Who Must Not Be Named."

I'm kinda sick and tired of this argument as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Works for me. The Bears offense with more fire power has scored 8 more TDs than the Rams and that includes 7 garbage time TDs so far.

TD Pass to Jeffrey with seconds left down 31-8 vs. Saints.
Two TDs vs Cowboys after being down 38-13.
TD Pass after being down 45-0 vs. Packers.
Two TDs vs. Patriots after being down 45-7 and 48-15, respectively.
Mid 4th Quarter TD down 24-7 vs. Miami

You have 7. How many garbage time TDs have the Rams scored? We scored 3 against the Eagles. So that makes it 4 TDs. Which means the Bears still have a 4 TD edge.

But you know what, I don't care. If you're going to make the argument that Hill and Davis are equally good QBs...go ahead. If you're not, what you're arguing isn't very relevant.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We can win 10+ games with Cutler.

I wonder IMO Jay looses his team does not have much leadership qualities especially when the chips are down. No debating his talent, but once your "typed" cast as a bad leader it follows you and Cutler has also showcased he does not audible well.

Remember jrry...Every pick begins with Jay;)

Athos

Legend
a decent o-line, why would he be better with what we have?

Where do people get some of this stuff? The Rams have actually given up 7 fewer sacks against vastly superior defense units on the whole all season. And that's with turnstill Joseph, rookie GRob, and an over the hill Wells. And Joseph, BTW, who has had Barks playing worse this year than he should be.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder IMO Jay looses his team does not have much leadership qualities especially when the chips are down. No debating his talent, but once your "typed" cast as a bad leader it follows you and Cutler has also showcased he does not audible well.

Remember jrry...Every pick begins with Jay;)

My personal opinion is that Cutler is not a leader but you don't have to be. It's a positive but not necessary. Issue is when you lack a strong leader at Head Coach and a strong leader at QB, your team has issues. We have the leadership at Head Coach. The Bears don't. There are issues in the locker-room and all types of reports that the team doesn't trust Trestman. Not to mention their own OC talking shit about Cutler behind his back to the media.

How do you trust your coaching staff? That is what causes issues when you don't have leadership at QB.

I think Fisher can handle it. I don't think Trestman can. It's kind of like Linehan in that he didn't have the leadership skills and lost his team. Rumor is that the same thing is happening in Miami with Philbin.

IMO, we have the leadership in place. All Cutler has to do is his job. And I think he can do that well enough for us. And I'm not recommending him as a long term solution. He's a 2-3 year stop gap to allow us to find and develop a QB. I don't like our options this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

How could he possibly be any worse?

What he's doing in one situation, IMO, doesn't translate to how he'd do in another. My opinion early on about Cutler - before any trade talk was being circulated about him - was that his confidence has been destroyed in Chicago. He's a primadonna of the highest order, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Plenty of players need to have their egos stroked and need to be coddled in order to thrive, and that's what he needs (and isn't getting). He hasn't played for a coach like Fisher yet. And for the life of me (not directed at you), I can't understand how we can give Bradford a pass for all of the coaches and systems he's played with (and under), and nobody even mentions it with Cutler. He's had 5 offensive coordinators (Dennison, Turner, Martz, Tice, Kromer) and 4 Head Coaches (Shanahan, McDaniels, Smith and Trestman) since becoming a full-time starter in 2007.

My main reason for wanting to see him here is because he's a tough sumbitch with a rocket arm, and because Fisher can make ANY player feel like the most important player on the team. I'm not worried about Schotty coaching him at all, because his offense is designed to be balanced and take advantage of home run shots more than most coordinators out there. Plus, he's on a team with the 32nd ranked defense right now. He won't have the weight of the world on his shoulders here.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What he's doing in one situation, IMO, doesn't translate to how he'd do in another. My opinion early on about Cutler - before any trade talk was being circulated about him - was that his confidence has been destroyed in Chicago. He's a primadonna of the highest order, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Plenty of players need to have their egos stroked and need to be coddled in order to thrive, and that's what he needs (and isn't getting). He hasn't played for a coach like Fisher yet. And for the life of me (not directed at you), I can't understand how we can give Bradford a pass for all of the coaches and systems he's played with (and under), and nobody even mentions it with Cutler. He's had 5 offensive coordinators (Dennison, Turner, Martz, Tice, Kromer) and 4 Head Coaches (Shanahan, McDaniels, Smith and Trestman) since becoming a full-time starter in 2007.

My main reason for wanting to see him here is because he's a tough sumbitch with a rocket arm, and because Fisher can make ANY player feel like the most important player on the team. I'm not worried about Schotty coaching him at all, because his offense is designed to be balanced and take advantage of home run shots more than most coordinators out there. Plus, he's on a team with the 32nd ranked defense right now. He won't have the weight of the world on his shoulders here.

Amen.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
That has happened over a season of games a total of ZERO times in his career. Every single year in his career, he's thrown more TDs than Ints. I don't know where that perception comes from.

He throws a lot of Ints but he still throws more TDs than Ints.

Yes, nearly every QB in the NFL does, the ratio is what matters.

And no, there isn't just as much of a chance he gets hurt. The guy has played 15+ games in every regular season but two in his career.(discounting his rookie year)

You're right, but he has had a rough last several years after taking all those sacks behind those terrible o-lines, so it's kind of hard to just forget about that, as it is with Sam.

Cutler doesn't need to be fixed to be valuable to us. He's not ever going to be Aaron Rodgers. He's not ever going to be the guy his physical tools allow him to be. He is what he is. He's an average starting QB. But so is Carson Palmer and yet Arizona did EXTREMELY well with Palmer this year.

Yeah, that sure has worked great....? He's been out for more than half the season! Last year he wasn't anything special, had a good defense, and the Cards still missed the playoffs.

With our defense, we don't need anything more than an average QB to contend. Especially if our OL is improved which allows our running game to do more damage.

We need, at the very least, a game manager that can stay level headed and make a few plays here and there. Cutler isn't that.

I looked. He did about the same thing he's doing now...except the team won because they had a good defense.

They didn't really win much, he has about a .500 winning record and won what, one playoff game?

Cutler will solve a problem here...a big one. The QB position problem. He will not elevate this team but he will allow the team to achieve what it can achieve. The team this year is a playoff caliber team. We underachieved because of the QB position. That would not happen with Cutler. And that's not because I think Cutler is great. It's because I think he's adequate.

To put it simply in my own opinion, if Cutler is only the average QB we all say he is, how is he going to solve any problem? He might be average but if he couldn't do anything with the Bears who were a better overall team (in the past) in that weak division for so many years, why would he be any better here? I simply don't get it.

Where do people get some of this stuff? The Rams have actually given up 7 fewer sacks against vastly superior defense units on the whole all season. And that's with turnstill Joseph, rookie GRob, and an over the hill Wells. And Joseph, BTW, who has had Barks playing worse this year than he should be.

I'm not saying the Rams O-Line is bad, I actually think they're pretty good. I'm saying the Bears is probably about the same, if not slightly better. The fact that we've given up 7 fewer sacks speaks to the fact that Cutler is bad at avoiding pressure. But the bottom line is that the Rams O-Line still needs work.

I don't think you've followed the Bears the last 6 years. If you had you would understand man. Last offseason all the die hard bears fans I knew swore that the Cutler signing was good/great or adequate, "There's no better option!" "Who else could we go with who is better?!?" they all said. Now its the exact opposite, "I'm done with him" "I've given up." I don't know about you, but I don't want to deal with that personally, and it's just one of those things that's too easy for me to see coming.

Cutler has been in the league for long enough to establish himself. He's done so, and he's known as being a heart breaker.

To wrap it up with a bit of humor, I've got to post this. I know it's ESPN and they're pretty much a joke, but this is still relatively funny and true:

View: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=816684238392582

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think you've followed the Bears the last 6 years.
I saw that they were in that Super thingy. Plate? Bowl? I can't remember what they call those things anymore, it's been so long.

Now watch what I do to the rest of your post.
If you had you would understand man. Last offseason In 2010, all the die hard bears Rams fans I knew swore that the Cutler Bradford signing draft was good/great or adequate, "There's no better option!" "Who else could we go with who is better?!?" they all said. Now its the exact opposite, "I'm done with him" "I've given up." I don't know about you, but I don't want to deal with that personally, and it's just one of those things that's too easy for me to see coming.

Cutler Bradford has been in the league for long enough to establish himself. He's done so, and he's known as being a heart breaker.

In the absence of context, everything seems so simple. ;)