Jay Cutler agrees to one-year, $10M deal with Dolphins/Tannehill out for the season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Most teams are up against the cap, if the rams need to sign someone they will work it out and make it happen, its what teams do. Dont see why you have to try and find a way to bash the FO over something most teams are dealing with. And wow, the dolphins signed a retired QB who just had shoulder surgery for $10mil. Grats to them. Most Dolphins fans worried this will ruin the chance of re-signing Landry to a new contract, so yea, great cap management..

The average cap space according to Spotrac is 17.7 million. The Rams at 31st with 3.9, and that is without Donald, who is holding out. The highest cap space are the Browns, Niners and Jags, losing teams such as the rams, but each with over 40 million of space.

Dont really feel my post was bashing the front office, just pointing out a clear issue. And perhaps if the Rams have the cap space of the Browns, Niners and Jags, or even the 17.7 million the average team has open, Donald would be in camp. Also would have liked for the rams to sign Jeremy Maclin when he was available, Rams did not have the cap space, so could not have a football discussion on whether if would be a good fit or not.

Cutlers contract is for one year, will not affect the cap for next season.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
This is a good move for the Dolphins.

Some might argue Cutler is an upgrade over Tannehill, anyway.
I dont think its a bad move really, but dont think its a big upgrade over Moore IMO. Just a more expensive. I think Moore could pull off a 20/10 season which will be around what Cutler gets. Could work out good for them though, who knows.

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
2015 Jay Cutler vs. 2016 Ryan Tannehill -Cutler and Tannehill both saw success in their first seasons under Adam Gase. For Cutler, that season was 2015, and for Tannehill it was 2016.

-Cutler's stats in 2015: 64.4 completion percentage, 243.9 pass yards per game, 21 TDs, 11 INTs, 92.3 passer rating

-Tannehill's stats in 2016: 67.1 completion percentage, 230.4 pass yards per game, 19 TDs, 12 INTs, 93.5 passer rating

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ccessful-was-jay-cutler-in-adam-gases-offense

Those numbers are so close even with Tannehill missing 3 games.
Good move for the Fins.
Cutler is entertaining when on the field one way or another. Seems Gase can work with him better than others.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Miami having the salary cap space to sign Cutler really helped out when disaster struck. Good cap management.
Rams are once again right up against the cap. No space to sign a player that will help. Not so good cap management.
Also heard it's actually 5 mill base with another 5 in incentives etc ... don't know if that effects the cap I'm not a cap guy but that might have something to do with it

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The average cap space according to Spotrac is 17.7 million. The Rams at 31st with 3.9, and that is without Donald, who is holding out. The highest cap space are the Browns, Niners and Jags, losing teams such as the rams, but each with over 40 million of space.

Dont really feel my post was bashing the front office, just pointing out a clear issue. And perhaps if the Rams have the cap space of the Browns, Niners and Jags, or even the 17.7 million the average team has open, Donald would be in camp. Also would have liked for the rams to sign Jeremy Maclin when he was available, Rams did not have the cap space, so could not have a football discussion on whether if would be a good fit or not.

Seemed you were bashing when you gave one example saying it was good management, then gave the rams situation saying its bad. I was wrong I guess, but thats what it seemed like.
And by your reply it makes it seem that cap space at this point doesnt matter, as some of the worst teams have the most. Hell, even the cheatriots usually are among the teams with the most cap space but they pull it off, others, like the browns, whiners and jags dont.
As for Maclin, the Rams might not have been interested in him at all, we dont know. Just becaue a team has cap space doesnt mean they need to waste it, perfect example would be the Cheatriots, though them signing Gilmore to a big contract is odd as hell for them.
As for Cutlers contract not effecting the dolphins next year, from what I read the Doplhins dont have much space next year and wanted the roll over so they had room to sign Landry long term. Now I dont know what the cap for them is next year so dont know if true or not, just going off what posters were saying.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I've always been a fan of Jay Cutler.

He's better than that stiff the phins were counting on. That's not saying a lot though. Most of the phin fans I know hate Ryan T.

My hope is that Jay continues to think that he can throw every ball through every defender/coverage and he fucks up the dolphins season at the very end after putting 2 beat downs on the cheaters.

Oh... and the phins' song is sooooo lame. I think they stole it from the Houston Oilers anyway.

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's been pointed out by @flv that the Rams could have signed Maclin if they really wanted to. I would imagine they looked at the possibility of signing him by moving money to signing bonuses for some other contracts. They are in good future cap space even with over paying Austin and a few others. They also messed up the Jenkins/TruJo deals. They can move money around to signing bonuses and could do that with Donald. The Rams need to get their signing priorities in order and made smarter decisions.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Gotta say, I think I would've taken Kap over Cutler. Dolphins are a heavy run team, right? Kap flourished in a run-heavy offense with Gore.

I mean, dude was caught wearing a Dolphins hat when he played for the Whiners. Remember that? Poor kids gotta be heart broken, wiping his tears away with benjamins. :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Our cap management is fine, dude. Relax. The Rams didn't want Maclin. We could have moved money around to sign him. We have a ton of future cap flexibility. That's what's most important.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Our cap management is fine, dude. Relax. The Rams didn't want Maclin. We could have moved money around to sign him. We have a ton of future cap flexibility. That's what's most important.

Not sure I agree its fine.

Our best player in Donald is holding out due to contract issues, have no cap space this season to pay him more if so desired.

Hopefully Maclin was a football decision. Moving money around only hurts future year cap space, not a wise move for a team not looking to make the playoffs. .

36 milllion according to spotrac, 6th most in the league for 2018, but will go quickly, as it has this season.

Sneed and Demoff have been giving a bit of a pass when Fisher was in charge. Now with a new coaching staff in place perhaps its time to look at the job they have done more closely. Seems they have more say now that in the past.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Colin Kaepernick supporters are going to push the race agenda once more... after this signing... sigh.

No I think people can understand this was strictly football and one of the only QBs that is really better than Kap especially since he is being paired with his old OC

nighttrain

Legend
No I think people can understand this was strictly football and one of the only QBs that is really better than Kap especially since he is being paired with his old OC
Colin Kaepernick supporters are going to push the race agenda once more... after this signing... sigh.

haha, color me foolish, but i always thot Kaep was of the Caucasian persuasion :rimshot:

wow
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure I agree its fine.

Our best player in Donald is holding out due to contract issues, have no cap space this season to pay him more if so desired.

We have cap space to pay him. It's about finding the right number. We can control Donald for four more years. That's why things are moving slowly.

Hopefully Maclin was a football decision. Moving money around only hurts future year cap space, not a wise move for a team not looking to make the playoffs. .

Yes, that's the rub. But that's why Demoff has done a great job. We have a lot of future cap flexibility if we want to move money around.

We're at a point where we don't need a lot of money this year. We don't need to sign anyone. If Donald signs an extension, we have the ability to accommodate that.

36 milllion according to spotrac, 6th most in the league for 2018, but will go quickly, as it has this season.

Good. If we're spending our cap space, it means we have players worth using it on. Spotrac also isn't accounting for the salary cap rising (which it will).

Sneed and Demoff have been giving a bit of a pass when Fisher was in charge. Now with a new coaching staff in place perhaps its time to look at the job they have done more closely. Seems they have more say now that in the past.

Demoff has done an outstanding job structuring contracts and working with the cap. You can look as closely as you'd like. There's little to criticize with what he's done.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
We have cap space to pay him. It's about finding the right number. We can control Donald for four more years. That's why things are moving slowly.

Yes, that's the rub. But that's why Demoff has done a great job. We have a lot of future cap flexibility if we want to move money around.

We're at a point where we don't need a lot of money this year. We don't need to sign anyone. If Donald signs an extension, we have the ability to accommodate that.

Good. If we're spending our cap space, it means we have players worth using it on. Spotrac also isn't accounting for the salary cap rising (which it will).

Demoff has done an outstanding job structuring contracts and working with the cap. You can look as closely as you'd like. There's little to criticize with what he's done.

Demoff outstanding?

Rams are paying Tru 16+ million this season. Have been unable to get a long term contract done with him once again. Highest cap number on the team

Rams did get a contract done with Tavon, he is the 2nd highest cap number on the team, certainly not the 2nd best player on the team.

Rams did not get a contract done with Janoris Jenkins. Shut down corners can not be allowed to leave.

Fisher was not in charge of getting players signed during his tenure. Cant blame him.

0-3 IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Some might argue Cutler is an upgrade over Tannehill, anyway.

Meh, same guy/production.

But if you can get that for 10MIL when your starter goes down then I guess it is smart.

The Rams at 31st with 3.9, and that is without Donald, who is holding out.

His salary counts whether or not he is holding out you know.

I've always been a fan of Jay Cutler.

He's better than that stiff the phins were counting on. That's not saying a lot though. Most of the phin fans I know hate Ryan T.

Miko Grimes......welcome to ROD. :)

It's been pointed out by @flv that the Rams could have signed Maclin if they really wanted to.

What if Maclin didn't want to sign with the Rams? It's a two way street!

So maybe they work out a deal next year? What is your issue with cap space now and Donald? This makes no sense.

haha, color me foolish, but i always thot Kaep was of the Caucasian persuasion

In the US we have a problem saying "biracial" when discussing whether a person is black or white. So they just get called black. Like the guy who was President for 8 years that was biracial.......but everyone called him black. You could be half Korean and half Argentinian, or half anything and something..........but your azz is getting ONE label and that is that.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
JMHO BUT! If Miami Beats the Patriots, it will be because there Defense Pounded Brady into the Turf, not because they where able to run-up the score on them!

I don't care HOW, just as long as they beat them. Although seeing brady roughed up would be a nice bonus.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Demoff outstanding?

Rams are paying Tru 16+ million this season. Have been unable to get a long term contract done with him once again. Highest cap number on the team

Rams did get a contract done with Tavon, he is the 2nd highest cap number on the team, certainly not the 2nd best player on the team.

Rams did not get a contract done with Janoris Jenkins. Shut down corners can not be allowed to leave.

Fisher was not in charge of getting players signed during his tenure. Cant blame him.

0-3 IMO.

Meant to give you a high 5 there because that is a perfect illustration of all some major head scratching moves by the FO last year. Throw in the fisher extension and...

STILL ticked over the Jenkins/TJohnson situations.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am so glad I'm not a Dolphin fan right now. Cannot stand Cutler.