Jay Cutler agrees to one-year, $10M deal with Dolphins/Tannehill out for the season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ay-cutler-agrees-to-terms-with-miami-dolphins

Jay Cutler is back.

The 34-year-old put off early retirement and the broadcasting life to sign a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday.

Cutler's contract is worth $10 million with incentives, Rapoport reported on Inside Training Camp Live. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that the incentives could add up to as much as $3 million.

The move reunites Cutler with former offensive coordinator Adam Gase. During their one season together in 2015, Cutler experienced a late-career renaissance and developed a strong bond with the 39-year-old head coach. Rapoport noted earlier on Sunday that Gase made a serious push for Cutler after it became clear that Ryan Tannehill's knee injury could lead to season-ending surgery.

While Tannehill has yet to make a decision regarding surgery on his injured knee, the desperate attempt for Cutler's services could provide some context. The Dolphins are a team that made the playoffs with a combination of Tannehill and Matt Moore under center a year ago and believe the roster is good enough to win now.

Cutler seemed comfortable with his post-career decision, telling a Chicago-area radio station that it was a "permanent" retirement. However, there was always an out clause for the former first-round pick. As NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported back in May, Cutler was inserted into a two-man booth already featuring Charles Davis and Kevin Burkhardt. This meant Cutler could easily slide back out if an enticing situation presented itself without disrupting the on-camera chemistry.

Unlike former Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and Jim Nantz at CBS, it was a lineup never set in stone.

Cutler's success in Miami is no guarantee. His final NFL season saw him play in just five games with a 59.1 percent passer rating, four touchdown passes and five interceptions. On the bright side, he joins an organization loaded with weapons at the receiver position, including catch-machine Jarvis Landryand deep threat Kenny Stills.

He also walks into a situation far different than the one he left in Chicago. Largely misunderstood in the Windy City, Cutler also had some painful waning years with the Bears. With a constantly-shifting coaching staff seemingly always eager to get rid of his balky, seven-year contract, Cutler's dry sense of humor and alternative style were interpreted as apathy by the masses.

Gase gives Cutler a chance to be himself and play in a system that helped Cutler significantly cut down on his turnover-prone ways.

Cutler threw for 3,659 yards, 21 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions with Gase back in 2015. By comparison, Tannehill logged 2,995 yards, 19 touchdowns and 12 picks in 13 games a season ago.

Is he an upgrade? That remains to be seen. But as Rapoport reported Sunday, one thing was clear: The Dolphins never wavered on their next option after Tannehill. It was Cutler all the way.

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That didn't take long at all for Cutler to get back and the Fins to make the move.Glad he is back on the field. I didn't see him as an announcer/commentator.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Interesting, so Tannehill didn't tear the ACL but he must've messed it up bad if they're signing Cutler.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
images.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This surprises me because their 2nd string guy Matt Moore played really well, you think they would have stuck with him rather than handing the job to Cutler who played pretty badly last year.

jap

Legend
Man! I wouldn't mind someone signing me! for a one year 10 million dollar contract!!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting, so Tannehill didn't tear the ACL but he must've messed it up bad if they're signing Cutler.
More likely to injure it now....guarantee he gets the surgery now....shouda done it months ago...ACL's don't re-grow...

because their 2nd string guy Matt Moore played really well,
stop it.....career backup...

I wonder is this the same Moore from UCLA????
you think they would have stuck with him rather than handing the job to Cutler who played pretty badly last year.
Cutler's best year was under Gase...before he left to Miami...so he knows the system....should be a smooth transition.....he's a little better than Tannehill so this move could be permanent.

Oh yeah, great call @jrry32

Kaep still waits...but either the Colts are tanking or are fools....and the Panthers...well, lets just say, I never heard of QB's going INTO a season with shoulder trouble.....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
More likely to injure it now....guarantee he gets the surgery now....shouda done it months ago...ACL's don't re-grow...

stop it.....career backup...

I wonder is this the same Moore from UCLA????
Cutler's best year was under Gase...before he left to Miami...so he knows the system....should be a smooth transition.....he's a little better than Tannehill so this move could be permanent.

Oh yeah, great call @jrry32

Kaep still waits...but either the Colts are tanking or are fools....and the Panthers...well, lets just say, I never heard of QB's going INTO a season with shoulder trouble.....
I didn't think Cutler would last long in retirement, But I think his best years are behind him! Miami will be just another Team this year! If they are a Winner, it will be on Defense not Offense! JMO!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

At some point he will get a contract, but it's going to take a team losing a good starter and having an awful backup.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But I think his best years are behind him!
I watched this kid at Vandy....dude has so much talent....I don't think he's ever been in such a great situation....I think this will be his best season yet.....and possibly, a run of about 3 years...this team is built to BEAT the patriots....there I said it.

At some point he will get a contract, but it's going to take a team losing a good starter and having an awful backup.
So many teams have awful backups....it shouldn't take long....

But Blaine Gabbert sure looked good the other day...is it the QB's or the coaches that are awful?????

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I watched this kid at Vandy....dude has so much talent....I don't think he's ever been in such a great situation....I think this will be his best season yet.....and possibly, a run of about 3 years...this team is built to BEAT the patriots....there I said it.

So many teams have awful backups....it shouldn't take long....

But Blaine Gabbert sure looked good the other day...is it the QB's or the coaches that are awful?????
JMHO BUT! If Miami Beats the Patriots, it will be because there Defense Pounded Brady into the Turf, not because they where able to run-up the score on them!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think he partially tore it like last year, but they let it heal without surgery last year. Due to the reinjury, they probably want him to have surgery on it. That likely takes him out of action for pretty much the entire year.

Scirca

Rookie
Colin Kaepernick supporters are going to push the race agenda once more... after this signing... sigh.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Miami having the salary cap space to sign Cutler really helped out when disaster struck. Good cap management.
Rams are once again right up against the cap. No space to sign a player that will help. Not so good cap management.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LACHAMP46 said:

I'd still rather have Tye Hill
~Scott Linehan

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Miami having the salary cap space to sign Cutler really helped out when disaster struck. Good cap management.
Rams are once again right up against the cap. No space to sign a player that will help. Not so good cap management.
Most teams are up against the cap, if the rams need to sign someone they will work it out and make it happen, its what teams do. Dont see why you have to try and find a way to bash the FO over something most teams are dealing with. And wow, the dolphins signed a retired QB who just had shoulder surgery for $10mil. Grats to them. Most Dolphins fans are worried this will ruin the chance of re-signing Landry to a new contract, so yea, great cap management..

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Say what?

Lets come up with a bet LOL.

I think he partially tore it like last year, but they let it heal without surgery last year. Due to the reinjury, they probably want him to have surgery on it. That likely takes him out of action for pretty much the entire year.

I think he has to have surgery to repair it..........I thought I heard that on a radio show, but of course that doesn't mean it's accurate.

Colin Kaepernick supporters are going to push the race agenda once more... after this signing... sigh.

If you think it's a race agenda you entirely missed the point and should take a little time to review some info about it all. This isn't a black v. white thing at all.

I'd still rather have Tye Hill
~Scott Linehan

I remember a guy who used to post on the Herd who was fantastic, his screen name was OldHacker, his name was Steve. I met him many times at HerdFest get togethers in STL. Everyone loved him, and he was as as laconic a poster as I have ever come across. After the selection this is what he posted and I still chuckle about it because it always comes to mind when Hill is mentioned.

"We just drafted a midget to play cornerback"

Funny stuff HAHAHA.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
As most people probably agree, this was the most logical/smart move the Dolphins could've made..

How successful was Jay Cutler in Adam Gase's offense?

With Ryan Tannehill potentially needing surgery on his left knee, the Dolphins have singed formerly retired quarterback Jay Cutler. Cutler has a past connection to Dolphins head coach Adam Gase, as the two worked together in Chicago during the 2015 season.

In the space below, we take a look at how the Cutler-Gase pairing worked out in the 2015 season.

Jay Cutler's stats in 2015 (with Adam Gase as O.C.)

-Completion percentage: 64.4 (2nd-best for a season in Cutler's career)

-TD-INT ratio: 21-11 (Best in Cutler's career)

-Passer rating: 92.3 (Best in Cutler's career)

-4th-quarter comebacks: 4 (T-most in Cutler's career)

Comparing Cutler's 2015 and 2016 seasons -Cutler's completion percentage dropped 5.3 points after Gase left to become the head coach in Miami.

-Cutler averaged 32.1 more pass yards per game under Gase (2015) than he did under 2016 offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains.

2015 Jay Cutler vs. 2016 Ryan Tannehill -Cutler and Tannehill both saw success in their first seasons under Adam Gase. For Cutler, that season was 2015, and for Tannehill it was 2016.

-Cutler's stats in 2015: 64.4 completion percentage, 243.9 pass yards per game, 21 TDs, 11 INTs, 92.3 passer rating

-Tannehill's stats in 2016: 67.1 completion percentage, 230.4 pass yards per game, 19 TDs, 12 INTs, 93.5 passer rating

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ccessful-was-jay-cutler-in-adam-gases-offense

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4sJEM0bPg

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a good move for the Dolphins.

Some might argue Cutler is an upgrade over Tannehill, anyway.