Jaworski, Arians high on Eagles' Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
His decision making is terrible. It's the main thing, besides injuries, holding him back. But maybe Chip Kelly can fix that?
"Kelly values the quarterback’s ability to make quick, correct decisions above everything else. I stress the word quick. I think Mark Sanchez did a better job of executing in the offense from a speed standpoint, than Foles. I don’t think Kelly saw a future for Foles in his offense.

The next quality, which is stressed by Kelly, is the quarterback being able to throw the football accurately. I’m starting to believe that Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur vouched for Sam Bradford’s ability as a decision-maker and as a passer. I think that’s why the Birds made the deal."

"I think he's got an outstanding skill set," Kelly said. "He's a big, strong, physical quarterback. . . . He's smart, he's intelligent, he's one of the most accurate throwers when you see him throw the football. . . . I think he's wired right."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ord_is_no_trade_chip.html#qgqLgRQO76HuLGUU.99

The last NFL exec said the best pro comp for Mariota was Sam Bradford. "He's a more athletic version of Sam Bradford," said the exec.

Jeremiah agreed.

"The quick decision making, quick release, accurate guys that's what Mariota is and that's what Sam Bradford has," he said. "I think he's a much better thrower coming out than Mariota is."

Jeremiah echoed those sentiments at the end of last year writing, "Personally, I thought Bradford was more a accurate passer in college than Mariota."

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Snisher would have been fired, denied a pension, and denied social security benefits? They may also have been denounced as human beings and forced to leave the planet?

At a minimum. :cautious:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...son-jason-peters-2014-pff-all-pro-team-eagles

Kelce and Peters made Pro Bowl, Mathis was PFF all-Pro in 2011, 2012, 2013, hurt in 2014. If they keep Mathis 9he is on trading block because he's 33) they are really a 4-pro Bowler line or near pro bowl
Well... if they all stay (and stay healthy) and the Rams FO doesn't "wow" us, I'd say Bradford has a real shot at being much better than he ever has (again, IF he can stay healthy) and we're going to learn a lot about how Nick Foles holds up to pressure.

One other thought that I saw here... even if the FO wows us, it takes time for an Oline to gel.

MrMotes

Starter
"Kelly values the quarterback’s ability to make quick, correct decisions above everything else. I stress the word quick. I think Mark Sanchez did a better job of executing in the offense from a speed standpoint, than Foles. I don’t think Kelly saw a future for Foles in his offense.

The next quality, which is stressed by Kelly, is the quarterback being able to throw the football accurately. I’m starting to believe that Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur vouched for Sam Bradford’s ability as a decision-maker and as a passer. I think that’s why the Birds made the deal."

"I think he's got an outstanding skill set," Kelly said. "He's a big, strong, physical quarterback. . . . He's smart, he's intelligent, he's one of the most accurate throwers when you see him throw the football. . . . I think he's wired right."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ord_is_no_trade_chip.html#qgqLgRQO76HuLGUU.99

The last NFL exec said the best pro comp for Mariota was Sam Bradford. "He's a more athletic version of Sam Bradford," said the exec.

Jeremiah agreed.

"The quick decision making, quick release, accurate guys that's what Mariota is and that's what Sam Bradford has," he said. "I think he's a much better thrower coming out than Mariota is."

Jeremiah echoed those sentiments at the end of last year writing, "Personally, I thought Bradford was more a accurate passer in college than Mariota."

Terrible was too strong of a word but he's been a bad decision maker. He checks down too often. He lacks the confidence/aggressiveness that really good QB's have. But i think there's an excellent chance that's coaching. Fisher and Spags were about playing it safe on offense, not turning the ball over, not putting the defense in a bad spot. He's had it drilled into his head his whole NFL career. That's why i think this is big for Sam, he can finally be coached by someone who truly wants to get the most out of the position. The offense, not defense, is Chip Kelly's baby. It's a great situation for a QB.

I know people say Sam is smart but he really struggled to grasp the McD offense, had trouble with the line calls, etc. I'll always remember that mis communication between Sam and Danny A. Where Amendola had to explain to Sam that it was zone coverage and that's why he ran the route he did. Bradford was like, "oh yeah, you're right."

In my opinion Bradford has lacked command and aggressiveness as a Ram but he's been saddled with some very defensive minded coaching his whole time here. It will be very interesting to see how he does in Phili...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Terrible was too strong of a word but he's been a bad decision maker. He checks down too often. He lacks the confidence/aggressiveness that really good QB's have. But i think there's an excellent chance that's coaching. Fisher and Spags were about playing it safe on offense, not turning the ball over, not putting the defense in a bad spot. He's had it drilled into his head his whole NFL career. That's why i think this is big for Sam, he can finally be coached by someone who truly wants to get the most out of the position. The offense, not defense, is Chip Kelly's baby. It's a great situation for a QB.

I know people say Sam is smart but he really struggled to grasp the McD offense, had trouble with the line calls, etc. I'll always remember that mis communication between Sam and Danny A. Where Amendola had to explain to Sam that it was zone coverage and that's why he ran the route he did. Bradford was like, "oh yeah, you're right."

In my opinion Bradford has lacked command and aggressiveness as a Ram but he's been saddled with some very defensive minded coaching his whole time here. It will be very interesting to see how he does in Phili...
Hopefully Chip Kelly tells Pat Shurmer to stay the heck away from Sam then

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully Chip Kelly tells Pat Shurmer to stay the heck away from Sam then
Not sure that's fair to Shurmur.

Bradford made OROY with Shurmur and Curl as coaches.

Were they great numbers? No.

But it was good enough to get that award.
Why did he (Bradford) play that way? Well, I guess for starters it was because he was a rookie? And, given the immense amount of talent on offense they had his rookie year, maybe it made the most sense.

Anyway, it kind of worked.

Saying Shurmur (who has been working with Kelly for 2 years now... I think he was hand picked by Kelly?) is always going to coach like he did in 2010 is not being fair to a well respected OC.

Some say Kelly runs the show on offense... but I read recently that he gave credit to Shurmur. They work together on the plan through the week, then he hands it over to Shurmur.

Pretty interesting that a guy like Kelly (certainly appears to be control oriented) would hands things off to Shurmur.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think fans too often fall in love with positives from scouts, coaches and FO types and dismiss anything negative or that they don't want to hear...In the end, what those people think often times doesn't match the reality of the results...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure that's fair to Shurmur.

Bradford made OROY with Shurmur and Curl as coaches.

Were they great numbers? No.

But it was good enough to get that award.
Why did he (Bradford) play that way? Well, I guess for starters it was because he was a rookie? And, given the immense amount of talent on offense they had his rookie year, maybe it made the most sense.

Anyway, it kind of worked.

Saying Shurmur (who has been working with Kelly for 2 years now... I think he was hand picked by Kelly?) is always going to coach like he did in 2010 is not being fair to a well respected OC.

Some say Kelly runs the show on offense... but I read recently that he gave credit to Shurmur. They work together on the plan through the week, then he hands it over to Shurmur.

Pretty interesting that a guy like Kelly (certainly appears to be control oriented) would hands things off to Shurmur.
And Vince Young won OROY with Norm Chow, doesnt really say much.
Fact is, its Kelly's playbook and Kelly calls all the plays. Sure, Shurmer probably makes a good QB coach but I think his greatest quality to Kelly is in doing exactly what he's told to do

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Vince Young won OROY with Norm Chow, doesnt really say much.
Fact is, its Kelly's playbook and Kelly calls all the plays. Sure, Shurmer probably makes a good QB coach but I think his greatest quality to Kelly is in doing exactly what he's told to do
Trying to compare the Bradford/Shurmur relationship to Young/Chow is just deflecting from the point you appeared to be trying to infer... that Shurmur is somwhow perceived as a problem for Kelly/Bradford.

Of course, that isn't going to happen.

Kelly isn't going to tell Shurmur to stay away from Bradford because Kelly understands Shurmur is a pretty good OC. Based on what I've observed, if Kelly doesn't want someone on his team, they are gone.

MrMotes

Starter

Don't forget 2011 and 2012 when he stunk it up in Cleveland calling the offense.

He seems pretty good in his current role but he's yet to do anything but fail as a play caller. It will be interesting to see if he does get an OC gig where he's calling his own offense whether it will be a Chip Kelly offense or whether he'll go back to his WCO roots...

MrMotes

Starter
i think the lock out had something to do with that.

That's entirely possible. But at some point you have to excel in spite of all the reasons you might not. Maybe this will be the year? I certainly think it's Sam's best opportunity to really emerge...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's entirely possible. But at some point you have to excel in spite of all the reasons you might not. Maybe this will be the year? I certainly think it's Sam's best opportunity to really emerge...

He was built to run chip's offense. as always it will come down to his knee.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Two of the three things you mentioned there are things that many analysts bring up as weaknesses of his. We disagree about Bradford, and if he actually WAS what some people like to romance him into being the Rams not only wouldn't be letting him go (injuries or not) they would have extended his contract.

But he isn't those things people want him to be, unfortunately for both him and us fans.
And now you may get the chance to test your opinion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trying to compare the Bradford/Shurmur relationship to Young/Chow is just deflecting from the point you appeared to be trying to infer... that Shurmur is somwhow perceived as a problem for Kelly/Bradford.

Of course, that isn't going to happen.

Kelly isn't going to tell Shurmur to stay away from Bradford because Kelly understands Shurmur is a pretty good OC. Based on what I've observed, if Kelly doesn't want someone on his team, they are gone.
No idea what you are talking about. I don't infer that Shurmer is a problem in any way shape or form.
Quite the opposite. I don't think he's a problem or a solution.
He's a placecard OC who doesn't get in the way.
His offenses have been terrible and in a figurative sense I want Bradford to be learning from Kelly, not regressing to the check down philosophy that shurmer installs

As for chow, it's not deflecting it just defies the logic that winning oroy on its own doesn't mean much.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
I know people say Sam is smart but he really struggled to grasp the McD offense, had trouble with the line calls, etc.

I read that it was the receivers who had problems, didn't do the proper adjustments. Did bradford make errors, of course. But anyway, he;s Eagles issue now. But on thaty small point I read it was bradford teaching that offense to the WRs in Oklahoma during lockout.

The issue is getting Foles to be the 2013 Foles and not the 2014 Foles

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
May?

No, we are going to find out for sure. I don't wish Bradford ill will, I just think he isn't the NFL QB we wanted.
Yeah yeah... I'm sure you already have the "It's the system" excuse all warmed up and ready to roll out there. :cool::D

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget 2011 and 2012 when he stunk it up in Cleveland calling the offense.

He seems pretty good in his current role but he's yet to do anything but fail as a play caller. It will be interesting to see if he does get an OC gig where he's calling his own offense whether it will be a Chip Kelly offense or whether he'll go back to his WCO roots...
It's difficult to truly assess his roles as an OC.

In Cleveland, he was the HC, and we all know that it is much more than being an OC... getting pulled in many more directions.

Of course, he was not considered a success with the Rams by many fans, but you have to look at personnel too... those offenses were pretty devoid of talent. Was it that or the OC? Kind of what we debated a lot about Schottenheimer.

Now he's with Kelly and no one knows how much input he has. Like I said, I read some quotes (can't find them) from Kelly saying Shurmur has a lot of input. It can be argued both ways for sure, since none of us are in their meeting rooms and listen in on the headsets during games.

I don't necessarily want to come off as defending the guy. But IMO, that Philly offense runs well, in part, because Shurmur and Kelly work together.

It's not all Kelly, IMO.

So, I'm not sure why someone would suggest Kelly keep Shurmur away from Bradford.

Last edited: