Jaworski, Arians high on Eagles' Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20150315_Jaworski__Arians_high_on_Eagles__Bradford.html

031015_sam-bradford_600.jpg

Most evaluations of the Eagles' new quarterback come with a two-word caveat that seems attached to Sam Bradford's name: if healthy. The qualifier shows both the risk the Eagles absorbed in Tuesday's trade and the potential reward that could come their way.

"When I put the question mark on him, that's it," said former Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski, an ESPN analyst. "I don't question his talent, his ability, his cerebral ability to lead a football team and run an offense. But he's got to stay healthy."

The Eagles acquired Bradford and a 2015 fifth-round pick for quarterback Nick Foles, a 2016 second-round pick, and a 2015 fourth-round pick. The premium price demonstrated the Eagles' doggedness to acquire Bradford and perhaps an aggressive market for his services.

That aggressiveness might seem misplaced for a five-year veteran who has won only 18 of his 49 starts and has missed most of the last two seasons with two tears to the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Then again, there's also the appeal of his talent. Just five springs ago, Bradford was the unquestioned No. 1 pick despite missing most of his final season at Oklahoma. He was so prolific in his sophomore season with the Sooners, throwing 50 touchdown passes and eight interceptions, that he won the Heisman Trophy over Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow with more than 62 percent of the votes.

When Jaworski and Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians were asked before Friday's Maxwell Football Club awards about their evaluations of Bradford coming out of college, they had the same response: "Loved him."

"I had him as one of the highest-rated quarterbacks I've ever done," Arians said.

What has come after has shown reason for both excitement and concern.

Bradford validated the evaluations when he won the rookie-of-the-year award and helped the Rams improve from 1-15 to 7-9. Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur left in 2011 to become head coach of the Cleveland Browns, and Bradford's production declined while he was limited to 10 games because of a high-ankle sprain. He improved in 2012 and part of 2013 before the knee injuries stalled his career.

Bradford's overall statistics are inferior to those of Foles, but the Eagles also considered environmental factors. Bradford played in three offensive systems over four years and only once had a Pro Bowl player on his offense. His most productive receiver was Brandon Gibson.

"The only time we lost to the Rams, Sam was playing," said Arians, 21-11 in two years as the Cardinals coach. "I think he's a great fit [in Philadelphia]. He's very, very comfortable in the shotgun. He's more than ready to bounce back. He's just had bad luck."

Bradford is encouraged about the possibilities in coach Chip Kelly's offense, which also has concepts brought in by Shurmur. The way he discussed those possibilities sounded similar to Mark Sanchez's initial impressions last season, and Sanchez had the best passer rating of his career playing for Kelly.

"The way they set up progressions, the way the ball gets out of your hands, the way they deal with protections, the run game," Bradford said. "From what I've seen, it looks like everything goes through the quarterback - what do you like, how do you see things? And then they're going to tailor it from there. They're never going to put you back there where you have nowhere to go with the football, and then you're standing back there holding onto it for five seconds."

After Tuesday's trade, Jaworski retreated to his office and watched game film from Bradford's 2013 season, the last time Bradford played. Through Week 7, when he was injured, Bradford was having the best season of his career - 14 touchdown passes against four interceptions, a 60.7 completion percentage, and a 90.9 quarterback rating.

"When his game is on, he's got really good movement," Jaworski said. "That functional pocket mobility you have to have, his arm strength is unquestioned."

Yet there were too many times Jaworski saw Bradford on the turf.

"I've got to be honest with you, too: He got beat up," Jaworski said. "And that always concerns me with guys. . . . When you're getting hit physically, it affects you mentally. I want to see how he's able to [respond]. I thought in that '13 season, he was better than before. He just looked a lot more comfortable. He was playing good."

That's what the Eagles seem to be hoping for if they start Bradford after he recovers from knee surgery. Kelly insisted that the only reason Bradford became available was the injury, and the Eagles are buying low on a 27-year-old who was a decorated prospect coming out of college. The risk is the caveat attached to Bradford's name.

"If Sam is healthy," Jaworski said, "this will be a great move by the Eagles."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Bradford can stay healthy, if Bradford can trust his knee that he has torn twice in less than two years, if Bradford can handle the pressure of constantly being under a microscope and if Bradford's aunt had a package, she'd be his uncle.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The title should have been shortened to "Jaworski, Arians high."

I like Jaws and respect his opinion on quarterbacks but this is something every Rams fan knows better than anyone - Sam Bradford is very good when he's healthy and when everything is going well, ie., when there's not a lot of pressure on him. The repeated phrase in that article is "if he can stay healthy." Well duh!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I like Jaws and respect his opinion on quarterbacks but this is something every Rams fan knows better than anyone - Sam Bradford is very good when he's healthy and when everything is going well, ie., when there's not a lot of pressure on him. The repeated phrase in that article is "if he can stay healthy." Well duh!

The sad part is Jaworski was one of Bradford's greatest critics when he was in St. Louis, but now, it's different? Sell out! But I still believe Jaworski is the QB the Rams should have kept back in the mid 70's as opposed to the weak armed Rhode Scholar Pat Haden.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
There's no denying Bradford is one of the most talented QBS in the league in terms of being a passer. I have no doubt once he stays healthy, he's going to successful wherever he's at and people around the league know it. It's kinda sad it ended this way, I was there when we drafted him at Radio City Music Hall, such high hopes then...

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I vividly remember Jaworski hating on Bradford when he was here, saying he had "cabin fever". Why the sudden change of heart Jaws? Bet you've reversed your stance on Kap too, huh?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There's no denying Bradford is one of the most talented QBS in the league in terms of being a passer. I have no doubt once he stays healthy, he's going to successful wherever he's at and people around the league know it. It's kinda sad it ended this way, I was there when we drafted him at Radio City Music Hall, such high hopes then...

o_O

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I vividly remember Jaworski hating on Bradford when he was here, saying he had "cabin fever". Why the sudden change of heart Jaws? Bet you've reversed your stance on Kap too, huh?

If he stays healthy and wins a couple games it will be hilarious to see where the media and everyone else goes with this.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze

It's true, in terms of decision making, arm strength, and the type of accuracy he displays...Bradford is extremely talented...the fact there's teams offering first round picks for him even with his injury history proves that...hell we were able to get a "pro bowl" QB who had a 1m dollar salary and a 2nd rounder for him even though he tore his ACL again

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Now that Bradford is no longer a Ram, my homer glasses are off. Even when he was healthy we were waiting on him to blossom into a star. I don't think he's bad, I doubt he'll be the elite qb we thought we had in 2010.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's true, in terms of decision making, arm strength, and the type of accuracy he displays...Bradford is extremely talented...the fact there's teams offering first round picks for him even with his injury history proves that...hell we were able to get a "pro bowl" QB who had a 1m dollar salary and a 2nd rounder for him even though he tore his ACL again

Two of the three things you mentioned there are things that many analysts bring up as weaknesses of his. We disagree about Bradford, and if he actually WAS what some people like to romance him into being the Rams not only wouldn't be letting him go (injuries or not) they would have extended his contract.

But he isn't those things people want him to be, unfortunately for both him and us fans.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Arian's likes anyone that can fit in his hat.

BelgianRam

UDFA
Name
Timoty
I used to respect Jaws his opinions and his billions of hours of film study until he proclaimed "colin kaepernick will be the greatest qb of all time". Anyone who knows football saw there were Obvious flaws in that Guy's game that he would not be able to hide with his godgiven talent.

and now this. I quess anything to get attention is good for him apparently

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

I tell you what's probably happened here - the trade has forced Jaws to actually go and watch the tape on Sam Bradford, you know - so he can actually do his job and analyse players. Whilst he was a Ram it was really easy for the national media to look at his stats and make decisions of that and the national media's consensus and therefore the conversation around him was "he's underperforming/got cabin fever". This decision was probably made on highlights and stats. Rewatching the tape because he's in the national news spotlight means people have to actually make a judgement on the guy rather than just go with the zeitgeist on him.

Two of the three things you mentioned there are things that many analysts bring up as weaknesses of his. We disagree about Bradford, and if he actually WAS what some people like to romance him into being the Rams not only wouldn't be letting him go (injuries or not) they would have extended his contract.

But he isn't those things people want him to be, unfortunately for both him and us fans.

Re: this opinion of him - It's a fair one Les but I personally disagree with it. Fact is is he's real accurate, makes great decisions consistently (why a lot of people called him "Captain Checkdown - because he wasn't throwing INTS) and has a great arm. His completion percentage (58% career - which is low I agree) is not reflective of his accuracy - which when adjusted for drops etc is top 10.

Why did we let him go? Why isn't he a Ram anymore? Because we got a good offer for a guy who's missed the last two seasons with ACLs! Doesn't matter how good a player he is if he's not on the field. I bet the guys would have been more than happy to roll with him this year but someone comes in with the offer of a pick and a replacement QB then you take it - because there is a fair chance he'll get hurt again. I think the change of scenery for both us and Bradford will work out well. We've changed the atmosphere a bit with this signing - instead of being fearful about his health and worrying every time he gets hit we can look forwards now. That's a real positive.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I have no respect for Jaws and his opinions on QBs. Prime example right here : "I truly believe Colin Kaepernick could be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever," Jaworski said Wednesday on ESPN. "I love his skill set. I think the sky's the limit."

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze

We will agree to disagree for now and check back towards the end of the season and see where Sam is, I do get where you're coming from

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Bradford is no longer on this team right? I mean, like he plays for someone else now correct?

ram007

Starter
For all BS Arians talks he remembers well that they lost to Sam Bradford. If Bradford was healthy in 2013 and 2014 seasons, boy-o-boy.

:( Time to move on.