Jason Smith to be released?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ESPN INSIDER

[wrapimg=left]http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/12623.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=false[/wrapimg]Back in 2009, Jason Smith was the No. 2 overall pick, heading to the St. Louis Rams on a contract befitting of a player with such a draft pedigree. Unfortunately, he's never developed into the elite left tackle that the club had envisioned when investing that pick and those dollars. After the Baylor product was placed on IR on Nov. 25 of this past season, ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando wondered whether that was the end of Smith's St. Louis tenure. According to a report from the NFL Network's Jason La Canfora this week, it may be just that.

Per a league source, La Canfora reports that Smith will not be back at his contracted base salary of $10 million, and is a candidate to be cut. The team has moved forward with Rodger Saffold as their LT, and will likely be able to find a cheaper option at RT either in-house or via free agency or the draft this offseason.

As for Smith, a fresh start with a franchise that hasn't invested so much would seem to be a good opportunity, and moving back to the left (read: way more expensive) side is even possible, especially given the other alternatives at LT on the market this offseason.

- Tim Kavanagh

bluecoconuts

Legend
I can't say I'm shocked at the news really. Maybe they can restructure it and keep him along even at G, depending on his health.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I was really hoping JS would be our LT for many years, but that didn't turn out so well. Always pulling for the guy but it was not to be. Bummer.

GO RAMS!!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I kept pulling for the guy too. Unfortunately it never panned out as I thought Goldberg totally outplayed him at RT in limited duty. One would think also that he would have to make a sure fire guard before the Rams keep him on. Dude is one head slap from being out of the league.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Let's see... as a kid I had 20 years of Jackie Slater... later, years with The Big-O... We could always seem to count on our LT.

I had hoped that JS would continue the tradition. :evil:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ehh his concussion issues are too risky to keep around anyway. Just like Jahvid Best. Too bad he was the 2nd pick instead of a later round pick, he's gonna take a lot more shit b/c of that.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
Ehh his concussion issues are too risky to keep around anyway. Just like Jahvid Best. Too bad he was the 2nd pick instead of a later round pick, he's gonna take a lot more shyte b/c of that.

And thats what sucks the most about this whole thing. If he was healthy Id like to think we could restructure his contract, maybe give him another year at RT, or move him to G, or, at the very least, he could be a versatile backup and replace Goldberg in that role.