Jason Smith ready to get worked

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas ‏ @jthom1
Coach Jeff Fisher says RT Jason Smith (concussion) is expected to participate in Rams offseason conditioning program, which starts Mon. . .

Fisher: "Jason will be cleared and ready to go. My understanding now is he doesn’t have any issues."

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Jim Thomas ‏ @jthom1
Coach Jeff Fisher says RT Jason Smith (concussion) is expected to participate in Rams offseason conditioning program, which starts Mon. . .

Fisher: "Jason will be cleared and ready to go. [hil]My understanding now is he doesn’t have any issues[/hil]."

I will leave that low fruit hanging, LOL.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Be nice Doc. Let's hope he can keep cobwebs out of the dome this year and maybe, just maybe, he will surprise us.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
On that other board it's like talking to a wall. They seem to ignore the fact that the big fish said J Smooth will get another shot. I honestly don't think we're taking a lineman in this draft (well, maybe a left guard if we don't resign Bell)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
QuantumOfSalas said:
On that other board it's like talking to a wall. They seem to ignore the fact that the big fish said J Smooth will get another shot. I honestly don't think we're taking a lineman in this draft (well, maybe a left guard if we don't resign Bell)
Oh I think we take a couple of linemen in this draft. And probably a few more UDFAs after that. I have nothing but the sincerest hope that J Smooth can get it all sorted out this year and live up to his potential. I think they're going to work his ass off. I don't remember who said it on Twitter, but it was one of the players who said something like, "Rock is making me sleep in the weight room." Sounds like the conditioning program just went up a notch.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
X said:
QuantumOfSalas said:
Oh I think we take a couple of linemen in this draft. And probably a few more UDFAs after that. I have nothing but the sincerest hope that J Smooth can get it all sorted out this year and live up to his potential. I think they're going to work his ass off. I don't remember who said it on Twitter, but it was one of the players who said something like, "Rock is making me sleep in the weight room." Sounds like the conditioning program just went up a notch.

I sure hope so. We don't need ANY injuries. I'd like to see what a healthy team can do.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
QuantumOfSalas said:
X said:
QuantumOfSalas said:

I sure hope so. We don't need ANY injuries. I'd like to see what a healthy team can do.

So would I, although this team seems to have a propensity for acquiring aging players and/or "walking wounded" in the hopes of filling slots for a year or two......I believe this is but one of the nasty habits this team must break in order to become successful.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
QuantumOfSalas said:
X said:
QuantumOfSalas said:

So would I, although this team seems to have a propensity for acquiring aging players and/or "walking wounded" in the hopes of filling slots for a year or two......I believe this is but one of the nasty habits this team must break in order to become successful.
And yet...... who's the latest FA receiver we signed? What's his injury history? I dunno, man. Finding a player with no injury history in this league is akin to discovering plutonium in your attic. But I do agree - if at all possible, we should try to avoid that as much as possible.

And change the field from turf to fused marshmallows.

Anonymous

ramsince62 said:
QuantumOfSalas said:
X said:
QuantumOfSalas said:

Well it seems to me the team needs 2 things to become successful--only one of which is possible.

1. Keep doing what they're doing. And I don't care about the 1-year mercs and temps. There's no downside to that.

2. Or--draft better from 2000-2007, thereby giving the team a core of inherited veteran talent, so it isn't still trying to fix everything.

I vote for 2. But #1 is fine with me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
2. Or--draft better from 2000-2007, thereby giving the team a core of inherited veteran talent, so it isn't still trying to fix everything.
throwup.gif

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Smith is Smith. Infinity.

Can't get the pick back, can't change the last 2 years. But what can happen is get him in the weight room, and for the first time get him proper position coaching. Define what he can do and work it into the system. He was a spread LT that didn't have to maintain blocks, lets teach him how. He was just okay on 3 step drops, anything more was a disaster. That can change with hard work.

He is the highest paid RT in the NFL, the coaches need to find out if he can be a asset. If not goodbye.

Again the plan could be just get him through the year, plan to what he can do and use the draft to fill other holes. Find a late round RT take a year to develop him or just sign a FA RT next year when there's more cap room.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My thoughts on Smith;

1) He talked a good talk and I'm not convinced he's worked as hard as he claimed he would.
2) He can't stay on the field. He's been more J-Soft than J-Smooth.
3) I don't think these concussion problems are going to go away.
4) He's played "okay" when on the field. So, there remains promise for development.
5) He's been coached by Looney. So, there remains promise for development... deja vu.
6) Is he really worth his salary? Based on what we've seen; NO.
7) I don't expect him to make this roster at that salary.
8) Can we gain some savings cutting him in June, ala split over two years? I don't know.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
My thoughts on Smith;

1) He talked a good talk and I'm not convinced he's worked as hard as he claimed he would.
4) He's played "okay" when on the field. So, there remains promise for development.
5) He's been coached by Looney. So, there remains promise for development... deja vu.
8) Can we gain some savings cutting him in June, ala split over two years? I don't know.
Legit concerns. I don't know that he's been slacking with regard to training because there's no evidence (or even rumors) to support that, and I'm hoping these concussions were just flukes. He banged a lot of heads in college and came away clean, so I'm hoping that's behind him (as I'm sure he is too).

He did play "okay", and that's not a ringing endorsement for a #2 overall. However, he's been a project from jump and doesn't have a lot of time on the field - let alone within the same system consistently. Maybe a change in position coaches will help, but ultimately staying healthy is key. By all accounts, he's being given another shot under Fisher and B Schott. I don't know that he's eligible to restructure right now. I remember reading that Bradford needed 3 years in to restructure, so maybe Smith can. I don't know when the cut-off date is. He's too big and possesses too many requisite skills for the position to give up on him now. However, this is probably his last shot at stardom. He better make the best of it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
My thoughts on Smith;

Legit concerns. I don't know that he's been slacking with regard to training because there's no evidence (or even rumors) to support that, and I'm hoping these concussions were just flukes. He banged a lot of heads in college and came away clean, so I'm hoping that's behind him (as I'm sure he is too).

He did play "okay", and that's not a ringing endorsement for a #2 overall. However, he's been a project from jump and doesn't have a lot of time on the field - let alone within the same system consistently. Maybe a change in position coaches will help, but ultimately staying healthy is key. By all accounts, he's being given another shot under Fisher and B Schott. I don't know that he's eligible to restructure right now. I remember reading that Bradford needed 3 years in to restructure, so maybe Smith can. I don't know when the cut-off date is. He's too big and possesses too many requisite skills for the position to give up on him now. However, this is probably his last shot at stardom. He better make the best of it.

Concussions are cumulative. He's getting them easier and easier based on the hits we've seen. Not good.

$10M is his BASE salary for 2012. If I owned the team... I'm putting that money back in my pocket and/or reinvesting. He's just not proved enough to justify that amount of risk/cash.