Jason La Canfora: A St. Louis surprise?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... r-cox-at-6

I'm looking at the St. Louis Rams, who possess the sixth overall pick, as one of the teams that could throw a major curveball. Conventional wisdom has them taking Richardson, who coach Jeff Fisher has gushed about, Claiborne or a wide receiver. But look back on Fisher's time in Tennessee. Few teams loaded up on more defensive linemen than Fisher's Titans. Richardson is special, but the Rams still have Steven Jackson. Plus, we're in an age of devaluing running backs and they abound in the middle rounds and late stages of free agency. Claiborne is special ... but the Rams just gave Cortland Finnegan $33 million over the next three years. And sure, they need weapons for Sam Bradford, but this draft is deepest at wide receiver -- the Rams can find a starting wideout at the top of the second round.

What you won't find outside of the top of the draft is a game-changing interior defensive lineman. And it says here Fletcher Cox is the guy for the Rams. The Mississippi State defensive tackle is exactly the kind of guy Jim Washburn, Fisher's longtime defensive line coach in Tennessee, would covet. (And I'm convinced that if the Philadelphia Eagles, Washburn's current employer, did trade up, it would be for Cox.) In fact, I could see a scenario where the Jacksonville Jaguars, picking seventh and sorely in need of a wide receiver, have their pick of Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd. (According to sources, they'd lean toward Blackmon.)

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I just cant see us taking Fletcher Cox. No doubt he has emerged as the top DT in this years draft class, however he is not the kind of DT we need. Cox and Langford would make for a light interior line. Add in Quinn and Long and we have a small Dline.

I havent heard any talking heads speak about that. I wonder if they dont grasp who our current lineman are or if they just disagree with me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
I just cant see us taking Fletcher Cox. No doubt he has emerged as the top DT in this years draft class, however he is not the kind of DT we need. Cox and Langford would make for a light interior line. Add in Quinn and Long and we have a small Dline.

I havent heard any talking heads speak about that. I wonder if they dont grasp who our current lineman are or if they just disagree with me.
300 is a little on the light side (how ridiculous does that sound?). I think Poe is about three fiddy and much stronger/faster. Too bad he has red flags hanging on his work ethic, because he's a physical specimen for sure (Poe). I think they can add some beef to Cox though, and there are no questions about... well, anything when it comes to Cox.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No no no...c'mon just when I was just starting to not hate LaCanfora.

When was the last time you heard a DT being a "game changer?"

Urgh. I also don't like this reasoning "this class is very deep @ WR, so they should pass on Blackmon." If it's so deep, why not select the consensus #1 WR?