Jason Garrett, Rod Marinelli agree to contracts with Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/11/jason-garrett-is-now-a-free-agent/

Jason Garrett is now a free agent
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2015

garrett2.jpg
Getty Images

With the Cowboys losing in dramatic fashion on Sunday, some additional drama could be coming.

Coach Jason Garrett’s contract has expired. He is a free agent. He can be hired by any other team.

Owner Jerry Jones recently said he intends to keep Garrett. But other owners can now pursue him.

In 2008, Garrett rebuffed the advances of the Falcons and Ravens, choosing an offensive coordinator position in Dallas along with the chance to eventually become the head coach. Now that he’s done it for four full seasons and half of 2010 on an interim basis, Garrett has the chance to look around.

Why shouldn’t he? If nothing else, it’ll force Jones to pay more than he wants to pay.

Vacancies currently exist with the Jets, Bears, Falcons, Raiders, and 49ers.
Nobody wants him. Team is better when responsibility is taken away from him. Yeah that’s the kinda of head coach every team dreams of. It’s been marinelli, linehan and Callahan.
----------
Cowboy fans should be extremely pissed if Jones doesn’t do everything he can to keep Garrett. Consistency at the GM and coaching staffs is the best way to get your team into contention and the best way to stay in contention. Changing coaches basically amounts to throwing away at least one season so it’s not something that should be done when your team is a few tweaks or lucky bounces away from getting back to the championship game.
-----------
He is nothing but a figure head. A Mustache Pete.

He has two offensive and two defensive coordinators.

All Garrett does is give the post game press conferences.
----------
Jerry will fire Garrett as soon as people give him too much credit (for Jerry, that means any credit).
----------
Who is gonna want a slightly used Jerry Jones ventriloquist doll?
-----------
Let him walk! You can put anyone in his place. What you can’t replace: Linehan, Callahan, and Marinelli.

Keep the latter 3. The HC can go.

Scott Linehan, Rich Biccacia or Hue Jackson can replace him.

Save some $$$ for a change.
---------
This just in:

Jerry appoints himself head coach.
----------
Dallas is the best situation for Garrett. Not sure anyone else would look at him as HC material and JJones wants somebody he can control. I think JMcDaniels winds up in Atlanta, reuniting with former Pats Pioli and Dimitroff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, the Rams almost hired him once and the fan base went nuts thinking the Rams had hired another offensive minded coach (Martz to Linehan), but rejoiced to learn that Steve Spagnuolo was hired instead....Boy how things change.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/11/rod-marinelli-could-be-heading-to-tampa/

Rod Marinelli could be heading to Tampa
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2015

marinelli.jpg
AP

Jason Garrett isn’t the only coaching free agent in Dallas. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has completed his contract, too. And he soon could be leaving.

Per a league source, Marinelli currently is expected to join the Buccaneers, likely as the defensive coordinator. It’s unclear what that would mean for current Bucs defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

Marinelli served as defensive line coach in Tampa from 1996 through 2005, before becoming head coach of the Lions. He worked in Tampa with current Bucs coach Lovie Smith, who at the time was the linebackers coach in Tampa.

Marinelli also worked for Smith in Chicago, from 2010 through 2012. After Smith was fired by the Bears, Marinelli joined the Cowboys, serving as defensive line coach in 2013 and defensive coordinator in 2014.
The Lovie “blame the coordinators not me” act has moved from Chicago to Tampa
---------
He is allowed to leave his job when his contract is up. Maybe some people don’t like working for Jerry Jones, and prefer to work with close friends in a better environment?

Tampa asked to interview him last year and Jerry refused, the writing was on the wall.
--------
The wheels on the coach recycling bus go round and round, round and round.
--------
What a job he did in Dallas, took a bunch of no names and made them a good unit….Jerry gambled wrong by not signing him to a long term contract before the season.

FRO

Legend
I wonder if Jerry stripping his play calling duties hurt his chances of retaining him?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They will all be back with the exception of Bill Callahan.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No surprise that Marinelli would go to TB. IMO, he would have left last off-season if he could have.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Callahan is the one I would want. He is the gem on that staff IMO.

I just have issue with the way Garret whores himself out for security. Pass on him.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This kind of situation is precisely why most teams don't have their coach go into his final contract year without a new contract... and why I don't see the Rams doing it with Fisher.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Well, the Rams almost hired him once and the fan base went nuts thinking the Rams had hired another offensive minded coach (Martz to Linehan), but rejoiced to learn that Steve Spagnuolo was hired instead....Boy how things change.

JMHO, but I don't think that ever happened.
I know Garrett and his camp put that out, but I don't buy it.
Devany always had the intention of hiring Spags.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
JMHO, but I don't think that ever happened.
I know Garrett and his camp put that out, but I don't buy it.
Devany always had the intention of hiring Spags.

I disagree, he came to St. Louis for a visit and a tour of the facility, IMO, he was plan B and they wanted to play a little hard ball with Spags, John Shaw loved to do that, so he was in the conversation and all I was posting is he was an option and that was correct.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...od-marinelli-agree-to-contracts-with-cowboys/

Jason Garrett, Rod Marinelli agree to contracts with Cowboys
Posted by Josh Alper on January 13, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwqxnjhimdjjyzrjotk0mtu4ytjjnjdlmzi2nmjjywjh-e1421191030216.jpeg
Getty Images

The Cowboys took care of two big items on their to-do list Tuesday.

According to multiple reports, the Cowboys have reached agreements on new contracts with head coach Jason Garrett and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

Terms haven’t been announced but Nick Eatman of the Cowboys website reported earlier in the day that the team was close to signing Garrett for five years and $30 million, which means going into the season without a contract for 2015 paid off pretty well in the end. Garrett never seemed to be in much danger of leaving after breaking through for a division title and playoff win after a series of middling seasons.

Marinelli’s return was less certain, but he won’t be heading to Tampa or anywhere else. It’s little surprise that the Cowboys wanted him back after turning a defense that was missing linebacker Sean Lee and coming off a terrible year into a capable enough unit that Dallas made it to the divisional round of the playoffs. Adam Caplan of ESPN reports that Marinelli landed a three-year deal.

The Cowboys will likely now move onto the offensive side of the ball. Passing game coordinator Scott Linehan, who called the plays this year, and offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Bill Callahan are both being targeted by teams looking for offensive coordinators in the event they don’t stay on board.

From there it’s on to contract talks with wide receiver Dez Bryant and running backDeMarco Murray during a typically busy offseason in Dallas.