Jason Garrett: Lack of turnovers led to Ryan's dismissal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -dismissal

[nfl]0ap2000000129810[/nfl]

The dismissal of Rob Ryan from the Dallas Cowboys initially came as a surprise, but it portended other changes in Big D.

After Jason Garrett was stripped of his play-calling duties, he shed light on why Ryan was sent packing in favor of Monte Kiffin.

"The Bears had 44 takeaways. We had 16. That's 28 more opportunities with the ball," Garrett told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram from the Senior Bowl. "Give me some of those 28 opportunities. That's something that we really sat back and thought a lot about, had a lot of discussions about -- what's the best way to try to achieve that, and then, 'OK, you want to do that, now who are the guys who can help implement that?' "

Ryan's defense generated 21 turnovers in 2011 and five fewer in 2012. Numbers aside, the Cowboys were a better unit in 2102. The secondary improved and few teams would have survived the injury bug that nailed Dallas down the stretch.

Owner Jerry Jones, however, is tired of watching the NFC power structure shift and evolve with the Cowboys on the outskirts. Some of the team changes appear desperate, but the newspaper reported that Garrett hinted Ryan's position was in danger for some time.

"It's probably unfair to say that (during the season), because what you're trying to do is you're trying to make everything work," Garrett said. "You know, you're trying to say we can make this work."

That, we all know, didn't happen in Big D.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wait, so Garrett doesn't even call plays? Who does? What's the point of him even being there anymore?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Wait, so Garrett doesn't even call plays? Who does? What's the point of him even being there anymore?
That just happened, so I don't know what their plans are now. I suppose they're going to hire an offensive coordinator and let him just be the head coach. I dunno if he's really HC material though. It takes more than football smarts to be successful at that job (as we're all now aware).

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
That just happened, so I don't know what their plans are now. I suppose they're going to hire an offensive coordinator and let him just be the head coach. I dunno if he's really HC material though. It takes more than football smarts to be successful at that job (as we're all now aware).

I could be wrong but thought I saw Bill Callahan was hired as the O/C for the Cowgirls to provide some "relief" on Garrett so he can focus more on the head coaching aspect. At which the article mentioned something that it would be easier for Jerky Jones to fire JG in-season should that possibility arise.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Should the lack of turnovers on Ryan's Ds be a red flag considering our D wasn't setting the world on fire with turnovers either ?

Vault 82

Rookie
Selassie I said:
Should the lack of turnovers on Ryan's Ds be a red flag considering our D wasn't setting the world on fire with turnovers either ?

I wouldn't think so. I gotta believe we'll only be better at forcing turnovers next season. Plus we had that rough patch where we just couldn't get the ball to bounce our way even when we poked it out. Had some easy int's dropped too. Seemed like after Fisher made it a focal point (bye week I think? could be wrong) we started getting more. Should continue next season.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I don't think so Selas...how many turnovers via fumbles or int's did we cause only to not recover or ummmm hold on to the damn ball... personally Rob got the shaft although I don't watch much of any Cowgirls games. Rob would provide a formidable addition to our young D and with his history I know he can turn our young studs into a FORCE to be reckoned with for multiple seasons.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BatteringRambo said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

I could be wrong but thought I saw Bill Callahan was hired as the O/C for the Cowgirls to provide some "relief" on Garrett so he can focus more on the head coaching aspect. At which the article mentioned something that it would be easier for Jerky Jones to fire JG in-season should that possibility arise.
Correct. I drew a momentary blank on their off-season activity.

F. Mulder

Starter
Turnovers are funny things. Even when Spags was here I can't count the number of times a QB was stripped (or a RB) and the ball effin' literally bounced right up into their arms while being tackled.

Look at this year- Just off the top of my head I recall the Miami game where the QB threw the ball backwards (because he was hit) and the ball somehow managed to go Out of Bounds. I saw the same thing with the game in SF where the RB got his own fumble, Lynch fumbled deep in Seahawk territory and got it back preventing a potential Ram win on the last game, etc etc. Sometimes the ball bounces funny. The one thing I DO agree about turnovers is that when there are a bunch of defenders nearby the odds of the offense recovering their own fumble is obviously lower. Swarm to the ball- it allows one guy to try to strip it without giving up big chunks of yards doing so, because he has help. It also puts a lot of people near the ball should it come lose.

I think the Rams were decent in creating opportunities but dropped INTs and not recovered fumbles will add up against you. The top turnover defenses never seem to miss an INT or fumble opportunity.