Jason Collins is gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As this has unfolded I've been perplexed and I wonder if anyone else has been too.

This is not the first person playing or coaching sports at a high enough level that its covered nationally or globally that has come out of the closet. Navratilova came out like what 30 years ago? Louganis came out and he was WAY more famous than Collins. Some college coaches in women's hoops are openly gay. MMA has a fighter that has come out. Soccer, lacrosse, football, literally every sport has had a participant, whether it was a coach or athlete, at some point declare their homosexuality and it barely creates a blip.

So I cannot figure out why the media is making such a big deal out of this. Britanny Griner has probably more name recognition and she openly admitted she was gay recently.....hardly a peep on the national seen.

So I don't get the big hoopla over Collins.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I could honestly give a shit anymore.
People are acting like it's en vogue to be gay now. It's been widely accepted for decades.

That, or they act like it's surprising when someone comes out. Again, widely accepted for decades now.
Nobody cares anymore. Gay, straight, bi, whatever. Do your thang and shaddap about it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't want to say this in a negative way toward you, but I don't care if one is gay or not.

Kinda pathetic that sexual orientation has to be a political issue.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
I don't want to say this in a negative way toward you, but I don't care if one is gay or not.

Kinda pathetic that sexual orientation has to be a political issue.
I can't understand why anyone would care anymore. This isn't a new phenomenon. lol.

Even Mike & Mike had a twitter question asking people what they thought about it.
Really? Asking John Q Public to weigh in on someone else's sexual orientation?

That's just dumb.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I never could decide if I would be uncomfortable being naked in front of a gay teammate or a lesbian reporter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:
I never could decide if I would be uncomfortable being naked in front of a gay teammate or a lesbian reporter.

I lived with gay people. I wouldn't be.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Should anything really bore us more than this crap. If someone really cares, that's their cross to bear.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I agree and that's kinda my point. Why is the media making a big deal out of this. Plenty of athletes coaches and management have come out yet this is still a big effing deal.

It's like being left handed.....does it actually matter overall lol.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
LesBaker said:
Yeah I agree and that's kinda my point. Why is the media making a big deal out of this. Plenty of athletes coaches and management have come out yet this is still a big effing deal.

It's like being left handed.....does it actually matter overall lol.

Ah shit... He's left handed too? Now I'm irate!

bluecoconuts

Legend
max said:

Never bothered me any, it's not like they're going to make moves on you or anything.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
max said:

Would there be another lesbian reporter with her? :sly:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
As this has unfolded I've been perplexed and I wonder if anyone else has been too.

This is not the first person playing or coaching sports at a high enough level that its covered nationally or globally that has come out of the closet. Navratilova came out like what 30 years ago? Louganis came out and he was WAY more famous than Collins. Some college coaches in women's hoops are openly gay. MMA has a fighter that has come out. Soccer, lacrosse, football, literally every sport has had a participant, whether it was a coach or athlete, at some point declare their homosexuality and it barely creates a blip.

So I cannot figure out why the media is making such a big deal out of this. Britanny Griner has probably more name recognition and she openly admitted she was gay recently.....hardly a peep on the national seen.

So I don't get the big hoopla over Collins.

Well maybe I'm being Mr Obvious here ,but you asked ,sorta.

The gay marriage issue is the driver for all the coverage, the media is behind that movement and want to do everything they can to portray gay as being a victim issue and shame people who oppose GM .
We really do have a pack mentality in the press and they do prosecute agendas,this is the windmill they choose to tilt since it's about to snow a foot in Colorado in May and AGW has taken a big one across the chops :omg:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Who gives a shit? Well, actually it's the media who gives a flip. It supports their agenda to normalize homosexuality. They want everyone to jump up and scream that it is normal. And like most people, we say, who gives a shit? Next controversy please.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Of course, if I played in the NBA, it might give a whole new meaning to "posting up"! :bahaha: :bahaha: :bahaha: :bahaha:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Actually, the big deal is that Collins is the first active player in a major sports league to admit to being gay. Players have come out after their career is over, but not during.

But yeah. It does seem much ado about nothing. Except, perhaps, in the team's locker room.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
May have been bigger news if Lebron and dwade wanted to get married lol

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
It's not any of mine, or anyone else's, business what any of these professional players' sexual preference is. Play the game and leave the politics out.

So, to all 49'er and Seahawk players, I will respect you either way.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
max said:

Would you be uncomfortable being naked in front of a straight female friend? It's the same thing. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they automatically want to sleep with you.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think it's ridiculous that this should matter at all. It doesn't change his ability to be an average at best player. I don't like it being blown up. I get that he is the first major sports athlete to come out during his playing career but I don't understand why in 2013 it should matter. I've been part of teams, I played football for many years through school, I served in the military. And I don't care what member of either team I was part of was gay, I cared that that person had my back when the time came. But I also understand that some folks are hardcore into ideas. Abortion, religion and politics just to name a few. So there will be hurdles but the more it happens the more people will loosen up. Btw how many players do you think speak up against it if it was Tom Brady or Payton Manning or Adrian Peterson. Probably not to many.