Jarod Cook - WR or TE?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
Is Jarod Cook considered by the Rams as a WR option or a TE option? I keep hearing although he is a TE he was really brought on as a WR option. He was paid well for mediocre TE stats. Either we misused him last year or he just didn't measure up. His heart and hands just didn't seem to be in the game a lot of the year. Thoughts?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's not just Cook, it's every Ram pass catcher. Schotty has gotta do a better job of utilizing the skill players he has. I think it will happen in the form of our running game wearing down defense this year. That's a drastically different approach going into last season. Can you imagine the Rams grinding all game, gaining a marginal lead, and switching to the hurry up? Talk about screwing with the opponent.

In short, our whole offense suffered from not being a complete unit. For much of the year we either could pass but not run or run and not pass. It takes both unless one is far superseding the other. Just ask the Denver Broncos how having a one demensionsal offense works. Heck, you can flip the shoe and as SF how that works. That's right, you come up 1 or two short and that's if you're great at what you do. In our case, like I said, we had a tremendous waffling effect. It's time to tie up the lose ends and get it together.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Technically? A TE. But more of a TE/WR hybrid slot WR.

His play was a tad underwhelming but keep in mind that Clemens can't utilize him like Sam could. I hope we'll see a better utilization of his skill-set next year. He can be dangerous if we keep teams from bracketing him on the seam.

PhxRam

Technically? A TE. But more of a TE/WR hybrid slot WR.

His play was a tad underwhelming but keep in mind that Clemens can't utilize him like Sam could. I hope we'll see a better utilization of his skill-set next year. He can be dangerous if we keep teams from bracketing him on the seam.

I am willing to give him the Clemens pass this year. But ask any Titans fan and they will tell you that you are always looking for excuses for the guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am willing to give him the Clemens pass this year. But ask any Titans fan and they will tell you that you are always looking for excuses for the guy.

Trust me, I talked to plenty of them after we signed him. Didn't really love the move. And he definitely angered me with his effort at times last year. But he's here either ways so I gotta stay positive.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I thought Cookie had real potential to contribute in a big way. Now, while I'm not writing him off, I prefer Kendricks. If this isn't a big season for Cookie, I would have to call bust at that price.

PhxRam

Trust me, I talked to plenty of them after we signed him. Didn't really love the move. And he definitely angered me with his effort at times last year. But he's here either ways so I gotta stay positive.

I agree 100% If/when he pans out, we got a real weapon.

jjab360

Legend
Dude's a freak. His heart might not be all the way in the game sometimes, but even a half-assed Jared Cook was still our best receiver last year.

It's not like he dropped a ton of balls or ran ugly routes or anything like that either, he just never seemed to end up on the same page as the QB after week 1.

Dude's a freak. His heart might not be all the way in the game sometimes, but even a half-assed Jared Cook was still our best receiver last year.

It's not like he dropped a ton of balls or ran ugly routes or anything like that either, he just never seemed to end up on the same page as the QB after week 1.

Amongst the top 32 most targeted TEs Cook had the third highest drop %.

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Kendricks. He deserves another year but need to see more effort/results from Cook. I seem to recall him dropping balls and not completing patterns towards the end of the year - we don't need that if we want to compete with 69ers and Seahacks

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing that bothers me with Cook is that whatever is holding him back has to be mental/lack of desire. He has all the tools and more to dominate on sundays but for some reason only does so occasionally

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I was thinking Jimmy Graham when we got him! Was most disappointed in his blocking effort! Think he can be better this year. Hope so!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I was thinking Jimmy Graham when we got him! Was most disappointed in his blocking effort! Think he can be better this year. Hope so!
Pretty much how I saw him as well, but IMO he picked up his game as a blocker second half of the season

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Pretty much how I saw him as well, but IMO he picked up his game as a blocker second half of the season
Maybe coach had a talk with him about the importance of down field blocking! Shouldn't have to though!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Uggghhh...I cringe whenever someone says something about a players "heart".

...it's always a matter of the heart when a player doesn't live up to someones expectations. I don't get how someone could measure this, especially from the stands or on TV.

FWIW...Cook had the most TDs of his career in 2013. Second most yards of his career...and the second highest ypc. So I guess unless he was playing without "heart" all his years in Tennessee, I think he played pretty much right on with where he had been...with a backup QB most of the year too.

Oh, he was also in the top half of all TEs in yards, receptions, and TDs in 2013.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Heart is not the question, having your head into the game is! Sometimes you have to be reminded that you need to do more for the team to succeed. Sports or business!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well I'll say this , term it WHAT you will ,blocking is not a terribly technical endeavor it's well over half attitude if the required physical ability is a given.
Jared did not block commensurate with a man of his physical gifts early last year and when it was raised here ,he was in receipt of some "he wasn't signed to block" rhetoric.
I care not why you were signed if you are assigned the task to do and you don't put forth full effort I question why?

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey

Our WR's need to work on their downfield blocking this year. We need downfield blocking, if we are going to spring Tavon Austin for big gains.

Uggghhh...I cringe whenever someone says something about a players "heart".

...it's always a matter of the heart when a player doesn't live up to someones expectations. I don't get how someone could measure this, especially from the stands or on TV.

FWIW...Cook had the most TDs of his career in 2013. Second most yards of his career...and the second highest ypc. So I guess unless he was playing without "heart" all his years in Tennessee, I think he played pretty much right on with where he had been...with a backup QB most of the year too.

Oh, he was also in the top half of all TEs in yards, receptions, and TDs in 2013.

Don't forget drops, he was also top 5 amongst TEs for that, oh and fumbles at the one yard line because you don't have the sense to rap up the ball I'm pretty sure he was top half amongst TEs for that as well, and pay as well.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Don't forget drops, he was also top 5 amongst TEs for that, oh and fumbles at the one yard line because you don't have the sense to rap up the ball I'm pretty sure he was top half amongst TEs for that as well, and pay as well.
Actually, he was tied for 6th on fumbles...with a whopping total of 1. One fumble.

Man...Antonio Gates had 2. What a bum! He has no heart!

Also...Brandon Marshall, jamall Charles, Cecil Shorts, Wes Welker...all had more drops than Jared Cook.

The real question (which I don't have the time or want-to to figure out) is what his drop rate is when figuring in catchable balls.

And let me be clear...I'm not saying I wasn't disappointed with Cooks season (actually, I was pretty disappointed with the season in general, so...)...but like I said, how are we questioning any players "heart"...especially Cook who's numbers were essentially pretty close to what he has done in his career? Perhaps we (myself included) had set the expectations a bit higher than what we should have. maybe Jared Cook is just simply Jared Cook...not Jimmy Graham.