Jared Goff's grade sheet vs Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wiley16350

UDFA
Name
Wiley
Well I graded the Rams vs Cowboys game and my suspicion that Goff’s PFF grade was ridiculous was confirmed. He graded out as I suspected he might with an average grade. He was better against pressure than PFF eluded to and there were some completions against pressure that I don’t think they counted. They had him going 3 for 11 against pressure. I had him completing 9 of 16 against some form of pressure, although 1 of those completions was considered incomplete by the officials. 4 of the incomplete passes were throw aways and 1 was miscommunication so he was 9 (or 8) of 11 when trying to get a completion. One of those completions was slightly deflected at the line by a free rusher. I gave him credit for it because he had back side pressure and threw against the free rusher and there wasn’t much else he could have done, plus the pass was in the general area of a wide open receiver even after the deflection. It wasn’t like it was tipped up high and the receiver had to fight for it. The receiver just had to move a step away from where he was. I can see how PFF gets to 7 of 12 by taking away 2 completions and 4 attempts against pressure on bootlegs. They get to 6 of 12 by agreeing with the refs on the 1 I didn’t agree with. They can get to 5 of 11 by disregarding the deflected pass. I’m not sure how the hell they got to 3 of 11. Even at 5 of 11, you still have to account for the fact that 5 of them were not incomplete because of accuracy. This has been a suspicion of mine that they’ll throw out the numbers against pressure to justify a poor grade by a QB but the number is misleading because the QB wasn’t as bad as that stat suggests. The real number according to my chart is that Goff made good decisions or plays on 14 of 18 plays against pressure in total. The 4 bad plays against pressure; 1. He missed on a deep throw but was hit on that play. 2. He threw a ball away after rolling out but he had receivers open very early in the play. 3. He fumbled when hit from behind from quick pressure. 4. He missed on another deep ball on a bootleg, he was tackled just after getting rid of the ball on that play. 14 of 18 looks a hell of a lot better than 3 of 11. This may make it seem like Goff should deserve a better grade than the average grade I gave him but he did get some great after the catch production and some nice catches by his receivers to make up for minor accuracy issues. He managed the game well and that is why he deserves a average grade more than he deserves the poor grade that PFF gave him. The grade sheet is attached.

Attachments

• 2017-WEEK 4-JG.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 149

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here is what I have for PFF and there Grading system!!

Finger Monkey.gif

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I would be pretty much OK with the Goff of Sunday most of the rest of the year...