Jared Goff's father: 'He's going to be great. He's never not been' - Los Angeles Rams Blog

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Jared Goff's father: 'He's going to be great. He's never not been' - Los Angeles Rams Blog
Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer
7-9 minutes
7:52 AM PT
  • i

Close
    • Joined ESPN in 2016 to cover the Los Angeles Rams
    • Previously covered the Angels for MLB.com
IRVINE, Calif. -- Jared Goff has been here before. He's been young for the position, been counted on before he was ready, been under center for a team that hardly stood a chance. Goff was a teenager and a true freshman when he started every game for a Cal program that went 1-11 in 2013, losing 10 times by at least a couple of touchdowns.

"I don’t think people understand how difficult that was for an 18-year-old kid," Goff's father, Jerry, said in a recent phone conversation. "Unless you’ve been through it, you don't know how hard that is."

Jerry brings it up to prove a point -- that his son knows what it's like to get his ass kicked.

More importantly, that he knows how to get up, dust himself off and keep going.

Goff was the No. 1 pick for a Los Angeles Rams team that moved up 14 spots to select him, but he never challenged for the starting quarterback job during training camp and ultimately never won a game. He went 0-7 over the final seven weeks of a 2016 season that finished with a 4-12 record, absorbing 26 sacks while putting up some of the NFL's worst passing numbers.

A week later, Goff was back at the Rams' facility, poring through film even though he didn't even have a head coach.

He already had moved on to the biggest offseason of his life.

"He was chosen in a spot where there's a lot of expectations, and he embraces that," Jerry said. "He really, adamantly wants to let everybody know, through his production, that he is the guy and worthy of all the Rams did to get him. I think people are going to see that moving forward."

The Rams are counting on new head coach Sean McVay (right) to tap into the potential of Jared Goff. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports
The Rams have since done everything they can to tap into Goff's potential. They took a chance on a 31-year-old Sean McVay, now the youngest head coach in modern NFL history, in large part because his offense can be so quarterback friendly. They guaranteed $15 million to a 35-year-old left tackle, Andrew Whitworth, because he remains one of the game's best pass blockers. They signed Robert Woods, a 25-year-old receiver, to a five-year, $34 million contract. And they used three of their first four picks on pass-catchers, even though they drafted four the year before.

But it's what Goff himself has done that has people around him encouraged.

He basically spent the entire offseason at the Rams' facility, immersing himself in the new playbook, adding 10 pounds to his willowy frame and displaying a leadership and an ownership of this offense that he never did last season. He has been exceedingly eager.

"It's my team to lead and my team to direct and control and command," Goff said. "I don't take that lightly."

Goff's real work began at 3DQB, the highly regarded, L.A.-based training facility that relies heavily on biomechanics to maximize a quarterback's throwing ability. For about four weeks from the start of February to the end of March, Goff worked with one of the program's instructors, Adam Dedeaux. The primary task, Dedeaux said, was to familiarize Goff "with the hows and whys of what makes him special, what makes him good, so that he can be repeatable and consistent."

More people play on ESPN than anywhere else. Join or create a league in the No. 1 Fantasy Football game! Sign up for free!

Dedeaux wanted to build a foundation that gave Goff an understanding for what his quintessential throwing motion looks like, so that he can easily correct himself whenever it was off. By the end of their program, Dedeaux said Goff's mechanics "became way more repeatable." He saw more consistent accuracy, velocity and spin on his throws. He said Goff, who turns 23 on Oct. 14, is now "way better" and that he's "definitely on the right path."

"He has a lot to work on, and he knows that," Dedeaux said. "But I think he's got a good process."

Goff wasn't just bad as a rookie; he was deplorable. In the stretch of games he started, from Weeks 11 to 17, Goff posted the NFL's fourth-lowest completion percentage (54.6), fourth-worst touchdown-to-interception ratio (0.71), second-worst Total QBR (22.2) and fewest passing yards per attempt (5.31). He played behind a bad offensive line, threw to an underwhelming group of receivers and learned from a staff devoid of experience coaching NFL quarterbacks, but Goff himself didn't perform well enough.

Cian Fahey closely studies quarterbacks for Pre Snap Reads and has dedicated a 187-page catalogue to the position heading into the 2017 season. In it, Fahey utilizes a stat called accuracy percentage that strips away external factors -- throwaways, spikes, batted balls, Hail Mary passes and miscommunications -- to get a true measure of a quarterback's precision. Goff's accuracy percentage last year was 65.24 percent, last among the 33 quarterbacks analyzed. Fahey also broke down accuracy in six ranges, and Goff fell within the bottom three in five of them.

In Goff, Fahey saw someone with a relatively weak arm, shaky mechanics and poor footwork. He saw someone who couldn't spot underneath defenders and couldn't take his eyes off his first read in a timely manner. Fahey wrote that Goff "showed nothing during his rookie season that suggests he can even be a competent NFL quarterback, let alone a low-end starter."

The Rams are hoping McVay's intellect and Goff's resolve flip that narrative.

Those who don't know Goff tend to stereotype. They see a young, handsome California product and envision someone who is easygoing and laid back. Jerry, a Major League catcher from 1990 to '96, will tell you that "couldn't be further from the truth." He sees a kid whose work ethic "doesn't have an off switch" and whose confidence "never wavers."

"He never doubts himself, regardless of the situation," Jerry said. "He knows he can be successful at this level."

Jared said this year's training camp feels "night and day" from last year's. He has a year of NFL experience to lean on and he knows he will be the starting quarterback, so he's a lot more decisive and direct. His first three practices have been hit and miss, but it's early. And McVay sees steady progress. Tavon Austin was asked about the biggest difference in this year's Goff and he didn't hesitate.

"His confidence," Austin said. "... I like how he's taking control of the huddle."

Jerry remembers how much pressure Goff put on himself as a college freshman. The team was so bad, but he was already so good and he took it all on himself. It taught Goff a lesson about staying within himself. Goff improved a little each year, and in the process, so did the team. By the end of his junior year, the Golden Bears had their first winning season in four years and Goff had thrown for 4,714 yards and 43 touchdowns, shattering Pac-12 records.

His dad awaits a similar turnaround in the NFL.

"Judge him all you want, but give him some time," Jerry said. "He's going to be great. He's never not been. He's never not gotten better. I don't care what level it is, whether it's little league baseball or Pop Warner or high-school sports or college or whatever. His track record is he continues to get better year in and year out."
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...ther-hes-going-to-be-great-hes-never-not-been

nanotech

Rookie
Cian Fahey closely studies quarterbacks for Pre Snap Reads and has dedicated a 187-page catalogue to the position heading into the 2017 season. In it, Fahey utilizes a stat called accuracy percentage that strips away external factors -- throwaways, spikes, batted balls, Hail Mary passes and miscommunications -- to get a true measure of a quarterback's precision. Goff's accuracy percentage last year was 65.24 percent, last among the 33 quarterbacks analyzed. Fahey also broke down accuracy in six ranges, and Goff fell within the bottom three in five of them.

I don't know what to think. Pretty damning. Not sure what it has to do with coaching. Were his precision issues related to coaching?

nanotech

Rookie
I guess you could tie to pressure and lack of immersion in the then "system".

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Weak arm, please.....

A good response to this would be to find the post of the QB comp that Goff was in HS. He was one of the best back then, and an underdog. Goff has a stronger arm than Wentz. The rest of the article is fair, but the evaluater who said he has a weak arm is a total idiot. Good, informative article though.

We can start talking bust, after this year. New system, new coach, new team. It will take a little time, but this kid is smart and talented. I think he will figure it out.

Last year, our offense, the blocking, the receivers, it was a SHIT show, some of the worst that I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I know i'm in the minority here, but i don't question his work ethic, his mechanics, his football IQ or his physical ability at all. I'm not sold on his competitiveness or leadership ability and those are the things that can seperate the good QB's from the great QB's despite their physical tools IMO. Time will tell.

We NEED Goff to be great....not just good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some guys start to show their true selves only when they know wtf they're doing in the offense. If they're not feeling the command of the offense, there's no way they'll be able to sell it in the huddle. That's where Jared was last year.

There is no reason to worry tbh. Once he's got that system down and knows he's the MFer, all that other leadership stuff won't be an issue.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm a fan of Jerry Goff, he's not overstepped and has stood by his son as he should. Everyone knows I've been hard on Goff, but this will be the year if as fans we know we have our Quarterback for years to come. Many want to know why the Rams preferred Goff? Well, it was his red zone efficiency which was off the charts at Cal.

Nothing has come easy of this kid and he faces quite a task this season as well, however, with the likes of McVay, LaFleur and QB Coach Greg Olson there lies hope within a foundation that Goff can develop from and add in new Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer to give him the protection up front and the Los Angeles Rams are much better off then they were a year ago.

@Mojo Ram is right, Goff has to be great, but this year, I will settle for good hoping to see more games like against the Saints for example. Watching Goff last year my reaction right from preseason was concern and I felt it was not there, but in fairness, he never had a shot. Now the Rams have provided Goff an excellent offensive staff and upgraded at TE & WR too, in order, to give him a better opportunity to be successful....Let's hope Jerry Goff is right because as I posted many times, we as Ram fans deserve better!

Ramzheart

Rookie
They can throw out all the analytics they want, the truth is, nobody can definitively say who will succeed, in any position for that matter! There's one thing you cant measure, and thats a guy's heart and determination!

Just ask Kurt Warner, Russel Wilson, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Kirk Cousins.

I remember Steve Mariucci and Brett Favre talking about how Kurt Warner was basically scared to go into a tc practice when he was with the packers. If you'd ask Mooch and Favre if they thought Warner was going to succeed in the league, I think they would have bet against him.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Some guys start to show their true selves only when they know wtf they're doing in the offense.

THIS! How was the kid supposed to know what he was doing in the offense last year when the coaching staff had no idea about what they were doing on offense? It was the clearest example of utter incompetence I have ever witnessed in the NFL. I refuse to judge Goff based on his performance last year. It would be like putting a jockey on a goat and then deciding that he has no future in horse racing.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I remember shortly after we drafting Goff reading a quote from his sister. She talked about how Goff would lay on the floor and throw the football at the ceiling, trying to get as close to the ceiling as he could without hitting it. She was so annoyed by it because she'd be trying to enjoy a TV show.

This guy is going to keep working and that I know.

Those questioning his leadership. I don't know what your basis is for that. . . Anyone see the entire Cal football team celebrate when he was drafted?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember Steve Mariucci and Brett Favre talking about how Kurt Warner was basically scared to go into a tc practice when he was with the packers. If you'd ask Mooch and Favre if they thought Warner was going to succeed in the league, I think they would have bet against him.

This is true. In fact, Favre was said to have been merciless in his treatment of Kurt to include calling him "Potsy."

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
"Judge him all you want, but give him some time," Jerry said. "He's going to be great. He's never not been. He's never not gotten better. I don't care what level it is, whether it's little league baseball or Pop Warner or high-school sports or college or whatever. His track record is he continues to get better year in and year out."
I actually like this...the "Lavar Ball" school of dad backing son...almost speaking into existence type stuff. LOL

But Goff looked kinda scared...I'm not sure all the work, all the comfort level with the offense, the players...and if he's not protected well...I'm not sure what we'll see as far as production.

It's about heart...like @Ramzheart said.... @Mojo Ram said it best...he needs to play great...I don't think I've ever seen his Cal team beat anyone of note....in 3 years...every big game I saw...he was ok...or stat stuffing in blowouts...we'll see what happens in critical drive situations....3rd down passes...versus NFL defenses.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I will believe in Goff Until he shows me he just doesn't have "IT"! There is not enough film with good coaching to prove he's not got "IT"! JMHO

Ramzheart

Rookie
oh my, Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network said the Pat's Offense not looking very "sharp" today?! Maybe Mannion can replace their starting qb? I forgot who is their starter?!

Sorry, couldnt resist... :football:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A couple thoughts:

1] Another article saying Goff had a terrible year? Uh, gee, thanks Captain Obvious
This much no one can debate - Fisher and his coaches had no clue how to devise any offensive game plan
resembling the NFL level. I think it was Gurley (?) who referenced Pop Warner (or something like that?)?
So trying to extrapolate much of anything from Goff's play last year is just plain silly

2] His father believes in him.. funny... what's the man gonna say? "Gee, he looked really bad last year... not sure what
he'll become now" :LOL: