Jared Goff's father happy he's playing for Rams and not the Browns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jared Goff's father happy he's playing for Rams and not the Browns
By Eric Edholm

[sports.yahoo.com]

All is good for Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff, who was the No. 1 overall pick in last week's draft and now has become one of the faces of a franchise that's re-embarking on its old city.
Fans are excited about the Rams, and they appear to be excited about Goff possibly taking over as the franchise quarterback in short order, too. But perhaps no one is more excited than the Goff family, namely father Jerry Goff.

Dad was a former major-league backup catcher with three teams in the early-to-mid 1990s and then raised his baseball- and football-playing son, who went on to star on the gridiron at Cal, the same school Jerry did in the 1980s.

And as great as Jared's NFL ascension has been, there was a bit of a fear for a long time that his future team could be the Cleveland Browns.

"There was a time ... we had a really good feeling he was going to end up in Cleveland, which isn't — nothing against Cleveland, it's fine," Jerry Goff, now a firefighter in the Bay Area, told Mitch Melnick and Rod Francis of TSN 690 in Montreal. "That would have been great; just to get drafted and go anywhere is fine."

Please, Jerry, corral your enthusiasm! But all that, of course, changed when the Tennessee Titans traded the first overall pick to the Rams, who squared in on Goff as their guy. It sounds like the Goff family breathed a sigh of relief — yes, because of the distance to their home in northern California. But perhaps also because ... well, the Browns. Jerry Goff wouldn't go so far as to say the latter.

"But when you compare the two, just logistically, [me] being an hour and 45 minutes plane flight away from L.A., and living in the same state you grew up in and so on and so forth is lucky. Timing is everything," Jerry Goff said.

Jerry added that multiple teams were doing extensive background work on Jared throughout the process, saying that even casual acquaintances of the family received calls from NFL scouts looking to dive into his character, even back to Jared's high school days and checking things on his social media accounts. But clearly, the Rams felt comfortable with everything they saw. We don't know exactly how the Browns felt about Jared, but it sounds like they were pretty enamored, too.

Jared clearly inherited some of Dad's athletic genes, but Jerry seemed to suggest that his son is clearly the superior athlete of the two of them. In a 90-game career, he batted .215 with seven home runs and 19 RBIs with the Montreal Expos, Pittsburgh Pirates and Houston Astros from 1990 to 1996.

But Jerry Goff's final major-league game on May 12, 1996 — almost 20 years ago to the day — has to be one of the strangest ever. Goff had two hits, including a home run, against his former Expos team for which the played the majority of his career. But Goff also achieved (if that's even the right word) in that game a stunning statistic — six passed balls allowed in eight innings.

It tied a post-1900 major-league record (with Harry Vickers in 1902 and Geno Petralli in 1987) that never has been met since. Goff also never played in the bigs again, sent back to AAA Tucson soon afterward and out of professional baseball the following year.

He clearly hopes that Jared's career is longer and more prosperous than his own, and the opportunity with the Rams appears to be tremendous. Especially now that the Browns suffered their own passed ball, if you will, watching another team trade in front of them to take a quarterback they apparently really liked. The Goff seem quite happy with how it all unfolded in the end.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" The L.A.Rams and Fans are pleased with the way things turned out too!!":D:rolllaugh:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Goff also achieved (if that's even the right word) in that game a stunning statistic — six passed balls allowed in eight innings.
Sounds like the catcher on my travel ball team. She's getting better tho

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just imagine how it feels to know that you are going to be drafted and then when it happens the team that takes you is the Browns...or Dolphins for that matter. Damn that would suck.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Go figure, they're more pleased with the Rams than the Browns..Who would've thought that ???

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
In front of the camera... "Thankful just to be drafted."

Behind the scenes... "Thank fucking God it wasn't Cleveland. Holy shit that was too close for comfort."

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Don't blame him, playing in Cleveland is basically career suicide (see Tim Couch)

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Am hearing a lot about Goff's parents and their comments to the media. Telling stories, making comments, sharing the spotlight...

This worries me, as I can't stand NFL helicopter parents who speak to the press and make decisions for their son.

Are they going to whine to ESPN if he doesn't win the starting job in Week 1? If Jared has a bad stretch, will they make public comments blaming other players on offense?

Mr. Papa Goff...please keep your comments to yourself. They won't do Jared any good, but they could definitely do some bad. Just some humble, friendly advice.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Am hearing a lot about Goff's parents and their comments to the media. Telling stories, making comments, sharing the spotlight...

This worries me, as I can't stand NFL helicopter parents who speak to the press and make decisions for their son.

Are they going to whine to ESPN if he doesn't win the starting job in Week 1? If Jared has a bad stretch, will they make public comments blaming other players on offense?

Mr. Papa Goff...please keep your comments to yourself. They won't do Jared any good, but they could definitely do some bad. Just some humble, friendly advice.

KeithA39

UDFA
Steven, maybe my memory is failing, but I do recall that both Jared and his family were quite the opposite of being bad apples in the above regard while at Cal. I think his coach used them as examples of proper decorum to the ones who either whined too much or had helicopter type parents.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't really care either way. But I'm just saying... Why are we hearing from his parents at all? What good is it gonna do?

It could do some bad if they say the wrong thing.
Yeah, they could get caught saying the wrong thing, but it appears they're cognizant of how to handle the media so far.
And if my son was drafted #1 overall into the NFL, you'd hear from me on an hourly basis.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This will be bigger than Pizza Gate.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't blame him, playing in Cleveland is basically career suicide (see Tim Couch)
exactly....did you see the expression when Corey Coleman found out he was going to the Browns??? Just saw it...he looked sick.