Jared Goff will take snaps with Rams' first-team lineup next week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gary Klein

There are three remaining practices in organized team activities, and it will be three months before the Rams play the San Francisco 49ers in the season opener.

Quarterback Jared Goff is expected to make another incremental move toward possibly starting that “Monday Night Football” game by taking first-team snaps next week.

Coach Jeff Fisher said at the outset of workouts two weeks ago that “by the time the OTAs are done,” Goff would have reps with the starters. Fisher did not specify how many, or in in which workouts that would happen.

But Goff has shown steady improvement working with reserves, and he finished the second week of practices on Friday with one of his best performances.

“This week was a good week for me to kind of start to really get in a little bit of a rhythm of things and start to feel more natural, more second nature,” he said. “Stuff is starting to click a little more.”

If Goff was feeling more relaxed, it was apparently not due to having signed his contract on Thursday.

Goff, 21, said the process was “really simple, very easy and zero pain” and that he felt like a part of the team from the moment the Rams selected him with the No. 1 pick.

“It was almost a formality,” he said of signing the deal.

Terms were not announced but, based on the NFL’s rookie salary system, Goff is thought to have received a four-year contract worth about $28 million, with a signing bonus of about $18.5 million.

Asked what it felt like to be a multimillionaire, he said, “I’m not thinking about that.”

He said he was focused on improving on the field.

After the Rams break from OTAs, they will regroup for training camp at UC Irvine in late July, when Goff will make a push to become the starter

The first two weeks of OTA workouts, he said, were only part of a process.

“I’ve had six practices in the NFL,” he said. “It’s going to take a few more practices than that, I think, to get where I want to be.”

Ready for new role

Stedman Bailey said he was looking forward to assisting the coaching staff this season as he continues to recover from gunshot wounds to the head suffered last November.

Bailey, a receiver, was injured while sitting in a car in the Miami area.

“I’m able to wake up every day and smile,” Bailey said, adding. “I’m very lucky to still be alive…. The fact that I’m not able to be out here and actually playing football right now has been the toughest part. But I’ve got so many things to be grateful about.”

Bailey worked out on his own before the start of off-season workouts in Oxnard. He was not cleared by doctors for football activities but said he felt as if he could play.

Quarterback Jared Goff and other Rams rookies sign contracts

“I’ve always been a guy to kind of be able to avoid hits, but I know sometimes things happen and it’s not really in my best interest to be taking some hard hits right now,” he said. “I’ve still got to get my skull and my brain healed up a little bit and that’s something I understand…. I’m just blessed to still be around.”

Bailey said he was buoyed by the support of teammates while he was recovering in a Florida hospital after the incident. Coaches and teammates have continued to help him progress.

He would like an opportunity to play again but is focused now on working with special teams and receivers coaches to help his teammates.

“I'm blessed to have everything working good with me,” he said, “and it's just moving right along."

Scary moment

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson did not complete practice after he was involved in a collision with a receiver during a team drill.

The workout came to halt as Johnson, who will earn nearly $14 million this season, was attended to by trainers.

Johnson walked to the locker room with a trainer by side. Fisher did not address the media on Friday.

Quick hits

Rams rookies toured Warner Bros. Studios after signing contracts on Thursday, and Goff was photographed on a Quidditch broomstick at a Harry Potter exhibit. Goff said he had seen all the Harry Potter movies. “I’ve always been interested in that kind of movie stuff and that was a cool thing for me,” he said. Goff said he sat under the exhibit’s sorting hat during Pac-12 Conference media days last year and was deemed a Gryffindor. He was happy with the selection, so he passed on another opportunity. “I’m not doing that again,” he said, laughing, “because it could be something bad.”…. About 250 high school coaches observed practice….The Rams will have a closed practice on Monday and conclude OTAs with workouts Tuesday and Thursday.

gary.klein@latimes.com

Twitter: @latimesklein

jap

Legend
Needs to happen if he is to build a rapport with his starting fly guys.