Jared Goff will be Rams franchise QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...ms-franchise-quarterback-its-a-matter-of-when

IRVINE, Calif. -- After every play Jared Goff runs in Los Angeles Rams practice -- good or bad, pass or run -- someone goes up and talks to him. Sometimes it’s offensive coordinator Rob Boras. Sometimes it’s quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke. But after literally every single snap Goff took in practice Tuesday, a coach spoke with him.

“We want to make sure that he’s seeing what we’re seeing and make sure he’s looking at the right things,” Weinke said. “So yeah, after every single play, that’s part of the learning curve -- make sure you’re seeing what you’re supposed to see.”

You can’t watch Goff practice without being impressed. He looks great. His footwork, whether it’s dropping back from under center or from the shotgun sets he ran exclusively in college, is sound. His arm strength is unquestionable. He’s a stellar athlete built for the position at 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds. You can see why the Rams traded up to draft him No. 1 overall.

But after every single play, when you see how much teaching Goff’s coaches are doing, you also understand how far he has to go.

“I’m asked all the time, ‘Is he going to start the opener?’ I don’t know,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “We drafted him. We traded up to draft him. He’s going to be our franchise quarterback. When he gets under center full-time, I don’t know when that is. And I’m not going to rush him to do it.”

So what does Goff, who’s still taking second-team reps while incumbent Case Keenum takes the first-team reps, have to show the coaches to convince them he’s ready?

“We are looking for him to continue to command the huddle -- which he’s doing a hell of a job [at], so continue to command the huddle,” Weinke said. “Continue to make good decisions in the passing game and collectively understand all of our checks in the run game.”

Not as simple as it sounds. Goff is working to master the protection schemes for which he didn’t have responsibility in college at Cal but does with the Rams. He’s working to learn the terminology of an offense that’s trying to fuse what Adam Gase ran in Denver and Chicago (passing game coordinator Mike Groh worked under Gase in Chicago) with the West Coast principles in which Boras was trained.

“That’s going to be the biggest thing for him coming from his offense -- coming up to the line of scrimmage with multiple things he’s responsible for,” Weinke said. “He hasn’t called a play in the huddle for three years, because [Cal’s] offense is called from the sideline. The growth in his ability to be able to call a play with confidence from OTAs to now is huge. And now, it’s his ability to understand our protections, make the adjustments and then, with time, he’s going to have a better understanding of where to throw the football.”

With time. That’s the key. How much time, they won’t say. But watching Goff and talking to his coaches about him, you don’t get the feeling it’s going to be long.

FrankenRam

Starter
Heard Brian Billick on ESPN's Mike & Mike show yesterday am and they specifically asked about the Rams QB situation. They were using the Keenum/Goff scenario as an example of a team with QB with some vet experience (albeit less than stellar experience) starting vs the newly drafted rookie.

Billick responded that if the rook isn't ready, the rook isn't ready and you have to start the QB with the experience. But he also stated that if it's close in training camp 'you go with the future'.

That's paraphrased, but I believe an accurate interpretation of his thoughts.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
unless he's 100% ready I'd start Keenum and let Goff sit and learn like Rodgers did in GB

Can definitely win with Keenum.. what'd we go 3-2 with him? and the two losses were games we shoulda won (Baltimore and San Fran) missed FG's in both if I remember correctly

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Great article, thanks for posting. Seems as if they're really into the teaching mode with Goff; after every play he runs, he gets "coached up"-----I love reading this. With this type of "personal" coaching, he'll definitely get there and hopefully that's soon.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Love what I'm hearing! I just hope we don't micromanage him too much or throw too much at him, that's my only fear. He seems to be handling all the workload just fine, but this stage in his career is THE most crucial.

GO RAMS!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Love what I'm hearing! I just hope we don't micromanage him too much or throw too much at him, that's my only fear. He seems to be handling all the workload just fine, but this stage in his career is THE most crucial.

GO RAMS!!!
I think the approach that they are taking is, after a play, asking him, why did you throw it there, what was your key, things like that. They want to make sure he is thinking, and knowing why he does what he does. If he's repping it, and able to repeat, and have reasons for it, then he will learn faster. If he messes up, he is corrected on the spot. I love it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He's a smart kid. I don't think throwing too much at him is going to be an issue that will damage him in any way. He will absorb things fast and it will be up to the coaches to feed it as fast as he can process it. This is quite possibly as big of a challenge on the coaches as it is on Goff.

fearsomefour

Legend
The thing that trips me out now is all of these QBs coming out of college having not taken snaps under center.
That is something that takes reps. Get the drop down, timing, footwork ect.

A55VA6

Legend
From what we've heard, I'm impressed with Goff's progress. He seems pretty damn smart, and a quick learner.

Man, I'm so excited to see him play.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The very true fact out of all of this, is that we should be able to win with Keenum now, and Goff later. It is truly up to the coaches to come up with a game plan that helps us with the talent that we have. That is what successful teams do.

I want Goff to start, but I am impatient. If Keenum gives us the best chance to win, he should start. I trust that those guys will know when or if we see Goff behind center.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

GO RAMS!!!

they're not blowing a whistle 2 seconds after every snap are they? spags the qb guru.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heard Brian Billick on ESPN's Mike & Mike show yesterday am and they specifically asked about the Rams QB situation. They were using the Keenum/Goff scenario as an example of a team with QB with some vet experience (albeit less than stellar experience) starting vs the newly drafted rookie.

Billick responded that if the rook isn't ready, the rook isn't ready and you have to start the QB with the experience. But he also stated that if it's close in training camp 'you go with the future'.

That's paraphrased, but I believe an accurate interpretation of his thoughts.

this is what herm edwards always says on nfl live. although he's always referring to the sam-wentz battle. he doesn't like sam much or is just running with the espn directive about sam, attack with extreme prejudice.