• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is it hypocrisy to say that he's just a guy? To think he's not special because ten games in to season 2 he's still not showing an ability to catch the ball? If he does end up being an elite player it's not the first time I've been wrong, but right now I am not seeing it.

But it's all good man. We'll agree to disagree and I'll hope you're right.
the hypocrisy comes when people give players like brain Quick 5 years to develop .. but wont afford that to another guy because they don't like him or they are their guy (not sayin you specifically just some fans in general )

and im not saying he will be elite either ,,, im just saying we should maybe give him a chance to get there ... a lot of elite TE's didnt come into their elite-ness until years 3-4-5

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He had enough time to find Gurley he was just committed to making that throw
I'm sure he did. I didn't post that to make any sort of point about Goff. It was more in response to people talking about the play. I don't know if he had his mind made up pre-snap that he was making that throw, that it was a designed play, or that he maybe has a little too much confidence in Woods' ability to catch a contested ball no matter how blanketed the coverage. I do know that Gurley wasn't even considered in that play, and it was *probably* based on a pre-snap read.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure he did. I didn't post that to make any sort of point about Goff. It was more in response to people talking about the play. I don't know if he had his mind made up pre-snap that he was making that throw, that it was a designed play, or that he maybe has a little too much confidence in Woods' ability to catch a contested ball no matter how blanketed the coverage. I do know that Gurley wasn't even considered in that play, and it was *probably* based on a pre-snap read.

Yeah I think the way they lined up he thought the play would work going to woods couple that with us needing a big play I can see why he threw it.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It happens. It wasn't Goff's best game in terms of taking what was given. The Rams are in the toughest part of the schedule and Goff will see more really good defenses. This is good. He needs to be pressed. His history tells me he will respond. Look at all the things we were talking about at the beginning of the season. Staring down his receivers, fumbling the ball, going thru his progressions, completing the deep ball, understanding defenses, interceptions. He has gotten better every day and there is no reason to think it stops here. One thing I hope he works on over the off season is throwing more consistently on the run. I'm pretty sure he will.
You know what I agree.

ausmurp

Starter
I agree Goff is tough. That question has been answered.

I discount most of this positive review of Goff, when I can't find one reference to his being a 2-read (in some cases less) QB at this stage of his development. I'm fairly sure this will improve, and he's shown signs of it already on plays earlier this season, but most of the time it is as if he is counting on the design of the play and his read on the D (pre-snap) to determine where he's going before the snap and doesn't seem to adjust.

The perfect example of this is when he throws deep into triple coverage (if Woods doesn't make a great defensive play, it's an INT) while Gurley is in the flat with NOBODY in front of him. It's anywhere from a 25 yard gain to a TD with a simple flick of the wrist and he never even gazes his way. This is my problem with Goff. Keeping fingers crossed he improves quickly, because we will never move the ball consistently when teams realize they just have to fool him pre-snap.

I'm only calling this out bc it's the 50th time I've read it..that play to Woods where he made a good defensive play, Woods actually had both defenders beat he was behind them and gaining further separation..Goff was hit right as he threw it too. Had he not been, I bet that ball goes over defenders and to Woods for the TD. Just watch it again.

A55VA6

Legend
Matt Waldman:

Jared Goff's poise is better than you think

You may see some stats that show the disparity of Goff's production against contending teams and also-rans. First, will those analysts provide the same context for all starting quarterbacks and second, how much are dropped passes and fumbles factors into the equation if at all?

When it comes to No. 2, I'd bet very little.

Goff performed better than his box score, just like he did against the Seahawks. He stood in the pocket and hit tight-window throws on pivotal down and distance situations.

This 2nd and 11 is a positive play even if it isn't one in the box score. Goff displays the pocket presence to wait as long as possible in the pocket before eluding the oncoming defender.

The longer the quarterback can stand in the pocket before climbing for flushing, the less time and space the opponent has to change direction and adjust to the quarterback's move. Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson are well-known for waiting until the last moment. Goff does this well enough to spin around the back side, reset, and give only his receiver a chance at the target.

One of the bigger questions of those unfamiliar with Goff's game at Cal or, even last year, wondered if Goff could handle punishment from a physical defense. Here's another clip of evidence that indicates we should stop questioning his physical and mental toughness.

Three plays later, Goff remains poised despite Barr's earlier plaster job. He maneuvers the pocket with the same poise and patience that he's displayed against less physical teams.

Goff wasn't the problem today. The Rams receiving corps dropped the ball before and after the catch. Here's Cooper Kupp losing the ball at the 1.

Kupp has been one of my favorite rookie receivers from the 2017 class, but I've noted in this column past examples where Kupp has come up short in the red zone. I think he'll grow into a more reliable red zone target, but it has been a frustrating development for a player who even Vikings coach Mike Zimmer labeled as the Rams best receiver this year.

Here's Kupp drop on third down.

In the second half, the Vikings began peppering the Rams with A-gap pressure and I thought Goff responded well, even if he wasn't statistically productive.

The statistically-driven narrative will be that Goff isn't that good because the Rams don’t produce at the same high rate against strong defenses. However, Goff did his job; his receivers and line didn't.

P.S My take: Jared Goff wasn't the reason we lost. He is already better than Wentz (use the eyeball test), just compare their games last night. Goff is progressing at an alarming rate, Greg Olson deserves more credit than he has been getting. Goff looked like Joe Montana last night. Goff's in just his 17th game is displaying the confidence and poise of an Aaron Rodgers on the road, in hostile Viking territory. He made some mistakes but no QB is perfect. Imagine him next year, or the year after that..... He does need to work on his throw on the run accuracy with Tom House and Adam Dedeaux @3DQB. I'd also like to see him add another 10-15 pounds.

This is great stuff. Thanks for posting!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
You know what I’ve come to realise ..

people killing higs about his hands could the be one defending tavon
Those saying he should be doing so and so are the ones screaming that player X or
Y needs more time to develop
Those lambasting Goff are the ones screaming Quinn still has something to offer
Those screaming Kupp needs to sit are the ones holding onto to the hope Micheal Thomas as something

Basically it all comes down to favourites and personal preference and luckily for us (well me anyway ) McVay’s opinion is the only one that matters
All I know is that if we didn’t give up on Greg Salas so quickly we’d have a couple more Lombardi’s under our belt.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never understood the "favorite player can do no wrong" syndrome.

Some fans will only see the bad .. especially if their favourite is on the pine ... or cut pre season .. so they have to dog on their guys replacement to justify their guy is still a “beast“

Some posters have their favorites of course,

you're willing to give him time to see him develop

I also think Tavon is done personally he has had what 4-5 years

To think he's not special because ten games in to season 2 he's still not showing an ability to catch the ball?

the hypocrisy comes when people give players like brain Quick 5 years to develop

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I don't play favorites when it come to Rams players... they are all treated equally by me.

And, by equal, I do my best to give them a minimum of 3 years to prove themselves. Three years is pretty much the baseline that is most widely accepted and it seems like a reasonable amount of time to me.

In a perfect world, we refrain from making any sweeping judgements on a player until he either flames out before three years... or make it the three years and you can usually tell what you have.

So, I have an opinion on Austin and I think it's fair... he's not very productive for a 4+ year player.

The others being bantered about on any given Monday? (Goff, Higbee, Gurley, Kupp, etc. etc.) I'll wait until year three so see what we have.