Jared Goff: The next Matt Ryan?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...t-a-best-case-scenario-for-rams-qb-jared-goff

Does Matt Ryan represent a best-case scenario for Rams QB Jared Goff?
By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News

AR-161209589.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Photo by Hans Gutknecht/SCNG, file

If Angelenos need a reason to head to Exposition Park, consider this weekend a potential glimpse into the future. On Sunday, the Rams will try to beat the Falcons (7-5) and quarterback Matt Ryan, the most oft-cited pre-draft comparison for rookie Jared Goff.

Last October, NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah — a former scout — polled five personnel executives around the league about Goff’s pro potential. All five picked Ryan as the most analogous example.

Executive 1: Matt Ryan
"He's a pure, tall pocket passer. I liked (Sam) Bradford a little better coming out (of college), but he reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan."

Executive 2: Matt Ryan
"He has a tall, skinny frame and plays with a gunslinger mentality. He's not as reckless as Jay Cutler, but I do see a lot of similarities to Matt Ryan at Boston College."

Executive 3: Matt Ryan
"Everything that I find out about him background-wise reminds me of Matt Ryan. They're both very accurate passers with good size."

Executive 4: Matt Ryan
"He reminds me of Matt Ryan, but has much better arm strength. Watch his touchdown throw against Washington. It was a big-time throw."

Executive 5: Matt Ryan
"This might seem like it's out of left field because they come from totally different offenses, but (Goff) reminds me of Matt Ryan. Ryan was coming out of pro system at Boston College and Goff is in a pure spread system. Because of that, the transition will be a little tougher for Goff. Talent-wise, they're very similar."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ts-best-nfl-player-comp-for-cal-qb-jared-goff

The same man played a role in scouting both. By 2008, when the Falcons took Ryan third overall out of Boston College, current Rams general manager Les Snead had spent over a decade in Atlanta’s personnel department. A year later, the team promoted him to director of player personnel, a job he held for three years before jumping to St. Louis.

After the Rams (4-8) selected Goff first overall in April, Snead pointed out the former Cal star’s “natural instinct to anticipate,” and to make the progression to his second and third reads.

“People who can do it as fast as he can,” Snead said then, “I don’t want to say you are born with it, but mom, dad, God — somehow there is a DNA that comes natural.”

The Rams took their time trying to incubate that natural ability, sitting Goff for the first nine games of the season. He has since started three games, losing all of them by 48 combined points but showing flashes of his promise along the way.

Goff has a career passer rating of 70.0, completing 53.7 percent of his passes for 509 yards, four touchdowns, and three interceptions. These are not impressive numbers, but they hew closely to what Ryan did in his first three career starts: 511 yards, two touchdowns, and two picks on a 53.1 completion rate — good for a passer rating of 77.0. (Unlike Goff, those starts came at the beginning of the season.)

Now in his ninth season, Ryan appears on track to make his fourth Pro Bowl, boasting a 112.3 passer rating that beats his previous career high by 13.2. He leads NFL starting quarterbacks in yards per pass attempt (9.2) and ranks third in touchdown passes (27), all while throwing just seven interceptions.

Dan Quinn, the Falcons’ second-year head coach, didn’t watch Ryan’s early development up close, but noted similarities in his and Goff’s tough, competitive natures.

“I like the athleticism, where he can get outside the pocket to go create,” Quinn also said of Goff. “I saw strength in the arm on some of the deep balls, the touch to go underneath — those are the first things that jumped out to me.”

Fisher mentioned some of those same traits when asked about the Ryan-Goff comparisons.

“But Matt’s played a lot of years,” he added. “Won a lot of games.”

Eighty-two, to be exact. Goff, meanwhile, is still looking for his first.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Looking forward to this side by side comparison come Sunday!. Something positive to look forward to. He definitely can be the long term leader this team has been longing for.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff has a career passer rating of 70.0, completing 53.7 percent of his passes for 509 yards, four touchdowns, and three interceptions. These are not impressive numbers, but they hew closely to what Ryan did in his first three career starts: 511 yards, two touchdowns, and two picks on a 53.1 completion rate — good for a passer rating of 77.0. (Unlike Goff, those starts came at the beginning of the season.)
Such a huge nugget there
Ryan was unimpressive in pre-season that year and started anyway.
How about Eli Manning?
1st 3 games (mid season switch)
35/83 (42.2%) 423 yards 1TD 4INT 42.4 QB rating

Psycho_X

Legend
After the Rams (4-8) selected Goff first overall in April, Snead pointed out the former Cal star’s “natural instinct to anticipate,” and to make the progression to his second and third reads.

“People who can do it as fast as he can,” Snead said then, “I don’t want to say you are born with it, but mom, dad, God — somehow there is a DNA that comes natural.”

This is what has impressed me the most through his three games so far. When you watch him his eyes are moving across the field during the play. He has stared down a few plays but he already scans more than stares. That is a huge thing to see a rookie doing already. He has very quick twitch feet and eyes... when you mix that with seeing the whole field he has potential to be great. Hopefully he doesn't get it beaten out of him behind our o-line but I am very high on Goff right now. This season will end with awful stats I'm sure but I see no reason he can't be developed into a top QB. Developed is the key word though.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Not to mention all but maybe one of his picks this season were actually his fault.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Yep-coulda had Matt Ryan playing for the Rams all along but the previous regime liked a battered Bulger and selected Cris Long. Think of how much different the history of the Rams may have been with the one selection.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yep-coulda had Matt Ryan playing for the Rams all along but the previous regime liked a battered Bulger and selected Cris Long. Think of how much different the history of the Rams may have been with the one selection.
In retrospect the "Chris Long" Choice was the right move at the time!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be pretty happy if Goff turned out like Ryan

JerseyRam1

Rookie
How could you argue that? Franchise QB (for a team that is in need of a Pro bowl caliber QB since Bulger) was absolutely the right pick at that time. Devaney botched that one as bad as all of his non Quinn picks. Chris is now a backup and never earned a pro bowl spot.

In retrospect the "Chris Long" Choice was the right move at the time!!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Now we just need to build the offense around him. We are good at RB, but we need to re-tool the O-Line (including a new o-Line coach,) find a true deep threat receiver, a QB coach who can get him executing at an elite level, and an OC who will take the offense to a top 10 level. Not too much to ask.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
How could you argue that? Franchise QB (for a team that is in need of a Pro bowl caliber QB since Bulger) was absolutely the right pick at that time. Devaney botched that one as bad as all of his non Quinn picks. Chris is now a backup and never earned a pro bowl spot.
My reasons are;
A) Bulger was a really good QB, that the Rams let get beat-up, that they had hopes he could return to Form!
B) Chris Long was the really good DE we needed to add to Leonard Little, which gave us a Great set of DE's! Then came Quinn. and the Rams have had a GREAT Set of DE's for a long Time!!
So, in my mind, at the time the pick made good sense!! And I'd still pick Chris Long! Leonard was Great and after he left, Long had 4 years of Double Digit Sacks!!

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Dave-The Rams won NOTHING over the last 12 years with "great" DE's. BTW-of the ones you mention were "great", only Quinn earned a prow bowl appearance. A franchise QB would have certainly taken the Rams to the playoffs; at the very least a couple of times. Besides, the following year the could have scooped up a quality DE in the Bradford draft. Franchise QB trumps every other position. Bulger was battered and frail, which proved to be not reliable--look at how Dallas is doing this season realizing that you must have a sound plan B for a battered QB . To take it a step further, the Long over Ryan decision could be considered the catalyst for the 12 years of losing!

A55VA6

Legend
I'll take a Matt Ryan any day. I hope Goff can become as good as him, if not better. We need a different offense though...

FRO

Legend
Matt Ryan on the Rams would have been Sam Bradford. Let's get real the Rams have had nothing close to the talent level Ryan has had on the Falcons, or the coaching level too. Also Bulger had only one bad year when Ryan was drafted. He should have been given the right to bounce back.

I absolutely think Goff and Ryan are a good comp. You need to do what you can to get Goff the coaching and supporting cast that Ryan has though. If you do that and maintain your defense you'll have a very good playoff caliber team. If not you'll have another Bradford wasting away on a bad team. Get the guy weapons and coaching.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Can we get Goff his own Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Tony G, please?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
QB comparisons are unavoidable and they have some similarities, but I'm confident the Rams are going to get more than a Matty Ryan with Goff. He's the least of our worries tbh.

What's critical is building around him quickly. They need another piece or two on the OL to settle that thing down, and one good vet wideout they can count on. And of course a coach who can scheme it up on offense and teach what he wants to do to the natives. Given that we're gonna be good on offense pretty soon I think.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
He's nothing like Ryan. Better arm strength, speed and pocket awareness. More like his college idol Aaron Rodgers.