Jared Goff takes first-team snaps, Rams shake off 'brotherly' scuffle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
700x394

Jared Goff

Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press
Rams quarterback Jared Goff passes during practice Tuesday in Oxnard. (Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press)
Gary Klein

Most of the passes were short or midrange. The only deep ball, which looked as though it might turn into a touchdown, was dropped by a fellow rookie.

And the most excitement of the day came courtesy of a scuffle between linemen after a pass was batted down.

So went Rams quarterback Jared Goff’s first practice taking most of the first-team snaps against the first-team defense.

“I felt good out there,” Goff said after Tuesday’s workout in Oxnard. “It didn’t feel much different than the last few days.

“It’s just a different group of guys. It’s exciting and I had a good time building that relationship with them.”

Case Keenum entered organized team activities as the No. 1 quarterback, but Goff, the top pick in the NFL draft, has been on course to work with the starters.

He moved from the third team to the second team during the first six workouts. The Rams said Goff took first-team snaps in seven-on-seven drills during Monday’s closed practice, and he was elevated into the main role Tuesday in the team’s second-to-last practice.

Goff, addressing the media for the final time before training camp in late July, said he has made progress. As of late, he said, he was playing rather than thinking.

“Overall,” he said, “I feel a hundred times more comfortable and ready than I was at the beginning.”

Left tackle Greg Robinson said Goff adjusted well to working with starters.

“It was good to get those reps with him, just to see how he conducts the huddle and stuff like that,” Robinson said. “There were a few times he got shook up a little bit and it was a nice chance for us to just pick him up. ... Just to let him know ‘Everything is going to be OK.’ He could take his time and we’re going to do our best to protect him.

“Just helping him keep his confidence up, because you never know what a quarterback is thinking.”

Robinson was attempting to protect Goff on a pass play on which defensive tackle Aaron Donald batted down the ball.

Defensive end Eugene Sims tangled with Robinson on the play, touching off a scuffle that involved multiple players. Coach Jeff Fisher admonished both the offense and defense.

“Just competitive nature,” Robinson said.

“That’s just brotherly love,” Sims said, chuckling. “It’s a contact sport, heat of the moment. … One of those brotherly scuffles.”

Later in practice, Goff appeared to have the highlight-reel moment of the day when he lofted a long pass to receiver Michael Thomas, but the ball slipped through Thomas’ hands.

“He’s a great player,” Goff said. “It just happens sometimes. Just like we throw interceptions all the time, it’s a dropped ball. Not a big deal.”

Goff is expected to continue taking first-team snaps Thursday when the Rams complete workouts.

He said he would take a few days afterward to see family and friends, but will return to Southern California and work with Keenum and Rams receivers during the weeks leading up to the start of training camp in late July at UC Irvine.
The lessons learned during OTAs while working against the Rams’ first-team defense are expected to pay off for Goff as he competes for the starting job. The season opener is Sept. 12 against the San Francisco 49ers on “Monday Night Football.”

“As a rookie,” he said, “seeing so many [defensive] looks right now, in the long run I think it’s going to be very beneficial and something I’m going to look back on and be like, ‘Wow. I’m thankful I saw all that early on and I’m able to recognize it now.’”

Poised to return

Cornerback E.J. Gaines missed last season after undergoing foot surgery.

He has been limited during OTAs but said he would be ready to compete for a starting spot opposite Trumaine Johnson during training camp. The departure of Janoris Jenkins created an open starting spot.

“I got out there the last couple days a little bit and got some full 100% reps against the offense,” Gaines said. “They’re just kind of reeling me in a little slow so I don’t have any setbacks.”

Gaines, 23, played in college at Missouri and was a sixth-round draft pick in 2014. He started 15 games as a rookie.

“I just want to build on that,” he said.

After Jenkins OKd a free-agent contract with the New York Giants, the Rams signed free agent Coty Sensabaugh. Lamarcus Joyner is also among those competing for a role.

“As soon as [training] camps starts, everyone starts at ground zero,” Gaines said. “I’m going to try and win a spot like everybody else. There’s definitely enough room for everybody.”

Quick hit

Cornerback Johnson, who left the field during practice last week after a collision with a receiver, did not practice. Running back Todd Gurley and receiver Tavon Austin also did not practice.

gary.klein@latimes.com

Twitter: @latimesklein

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-mini-camp-20160614-snap-story.html

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Later in practice, Goff appeared to have the highlight-reel moment of the day when he lofted a long pass to receiver Michael Thomas, but the ball slipped through Thomas’ hands.

“He’s a great player,” Goff said. “It just happens sometimes. Just like we throw interceptions all the time, it’s a dropped ball. Not a big deal.”
It's not a big deal now.
But that's the one knock on Thomas coming into the league.

Worth monitoring.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@-X- funny you mention that. Out of the whole article that is the thing that made my gut sink. I just envisioned the ball falling out of the sky and through his waiting hands. Yes definitely something to keep an eye on. Nice article though, of course we are all filled with optimism this time of year but hard to not like what you read about our new golden boy.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Robinson said. “There were a few times he got shook up a little bit and it was a nice chance for us to just pick him up. ... Just to let him know ‘Everything is going to be OK.’ He could take his time and we’re going to do our best to protect him.

“Just helping him keep his confidence up, because you never know what a quarterback is thinking.”

Does anybody else get the feeling, based on recent interviews, that fat Albert didn't major in Public Relations at Auburn?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Defensive end Eugene Sims tangled with Robinson on the play, touching off a scuffle that involved multiple players. Coach Jeff Fisher admonished both the offense and defense.
I love the intensity, and I hope it carries on thru Training Camp, that way we'll be ready when Pre-Season starts!!:popcorn::snicker::shades:

Ram65

Legend
Goff hitting the marks to be opening day starter! That's good but, still early.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Great to hear about Gaines being ready to go for training camp, haven't heard much about him other than they were bringing him along slow.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@-X- funny you mention that. Out of the whole article that is the thing that made my gut sink. I just envisioned the ball falling out of the sky and through his waiting hands. Yes definitely something to keep an eye on. Nice article though, of course we are all filled with optimism this time of year but hard to not like what you read about our new golden boy.

I agree it's nice to read how well he is progressing and that the throws are sharp.

The drop is a bummer, but that kid is on an awful lot of "sleeper" lists so methinks he's going to be OK. There is plenty of opportunity at WR and I suspect some names we have heard in the past won't be around if the new guys show promise.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
He's known for making great catches, but also for having drop issues. Kinda like Terrell Owens.
I'll take that. Yep, sign me up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Brian quick was supposed to be our Terrell Owens.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Speaking of Quick, has anyone heard any more positives about his OTA's other than that one Fisher mention?

Anyone?

I've tried to find any, but I've been unsuccessful.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
He's known for making great catches, but also for having drop issues. Kinda like Terrell Owens.

Gotcha. Well making tough ones but dropping easy ones won't keep you around long. Hope we don't see that from him when it counts.