Jared Goff, Sean McVay push back against claims that Rams’ play-calling is ‘cheating’ or ‘immoral’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:You mean telling him the play? I’m going to go out on a limb and say yes. If you mean that somehow McVay is telling him where to actually throw the ball? Are you just trying to sound ridiculous? Maybe absurd is the word I’m looking for. Yep. That’s it.
I think in the interview, he said, Jared Goff said, the coach McVay tells him, that in this look (the defense), so and so should be open...like a hint...refresher of what was gone over in practice....that's what I took from his explanation of what he's saying to Goff in the seconds B4 the :15 sec....when the mic shuts off. Is that telling him where to throw? Not really, but it gives him a clue of what to look for....and if he sees the look he wants, I'm sure he throws the ball that way.

I bet, this is the reason he was staring down targets earlier in the season....and now, he's been coached/reminded to look off the safety/corner/lb....

Not trying to sound ridic....absurd...nothing...

In fact, this isn't a criticism of mine at all...whatever works...go for it....I happen to think he shouldn't have told anyone til after the season....I bet some team will have the mic not working....to try and slow this offense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nobody is telling a QB where to throw and you can bet that Wents is getting the play and any other advice they can come up with right up to the time the mic goes dead.

Again......EVERY team does this.
Shoulda put you up there with 503.....

Not telling....but hinting...suggesting....reminding of film study where they wanted to attack in certain looks.

Haven't watched enough of Wentz....not sure how much audibling he does....lots of off schedule stuff in his game.

Never heard of another team rushing to the line so the OC could see the defensive alignment and adjust the play call...but wouldn't doubt it if a team did this too....and they should.

It's probably gonna institute changes....

jjab360

Legend
Different eras...different rules....Sims played when QB's were getting plastered.

His one season when he did well....think it was 2006, dude won 11 of 13 games....or 10 of 13....in Tampa....Tampa Bay...don't know Tampa's history?, think Jags of the 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's......

Was he a great pro, no....Didn't have time to develop into whatever he was gonna be. He got hurt....tore his spleen...and finished the game. I'll say again, he was a decent player....Good even in his season were he had a majority of the snaps.

College, he played at Texas....Not the Colt McCoy Texas....the Ricky Williams Texas teams....I am interested in hearing he didn't start until his 3rd year...Or was it his senior year?
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas/2001.html
Junior year...interesting players on that team....Cedric Benson....Roy Williams...Major Applewhite.....seems Mack preferred Major to Chris...as he continued to sub him out in tough games....Hell, he benched him in the Big 12 title game v. Colorado (really good team...great story about the QB on 30 for 30, Sal something).....Beat a good Washington team in the holiday bowl after going 11-2, Applewhite won the MVP.......that's when the Holiday bowl meant something....Guys from SC hate the Holiday Bowl....finished 4th in the country....with Mack Brown as HC....His last year, they finished 11-2, and won the Cotton Bowl v. LSU...running game wasn't working (against an SEC team, go figure)....and ole Chris...of the 59% completion rate....helped win a big game...no Major Applewhite on this team.

So again....not a B. Quick type rant....or G-Rob....just an honest attempt to represent a player in the correct light....not awful...not terrible....average at the worst....probably more likely pretty good....threw a decent deep ball...stronger arm than his daddy......and beat a highly ranked team in college....I guess he had help since he had several pros on his roster.
The lengths you will go through to defend bad players and discredit good ones is truly astounding

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The other coaches haven't pissed and moaned that I've heard..Why ?? Either because they're doing it or are going to after hearing this...Who in their right mind wouldn't use a legal move to better his chance to win...I better not hear Belicheat say a fucking thing about this..I'm sure he knows better...Little Chrissy Simms has put himself out on an island, with little chance of somebody sending him help...

nighttrain

Legend
The other coaches haven't ticked and moaned that I've heard..Why ?? Either because they're doing it or are going to after hearing this...Who in their right mind wouldn't use a legal move to better his chance to win...I better not hear Belicheat say a freaking thing about this..I'm sure he knows better...
Ha, Belicheat was probably the very first to see, and use this to help Brady.
good on him
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The lengths you will go through to defend bad players and discredit good ones is truly astounding
discredit good ones? defend bad ones??? Opinions are truly in the eye of the beholder. Glad to have astounded you.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Different eras...different rules....Sims played when QB's were getting plastered.

His one season when he did well....think it was 2006, dude won 11 of 13 games....or 10 of 13....in Tampa....Tampa Bay...don't know Tampa's history?, think Jags of the 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's......

Lot of other QBs didn't have issues.

Also Chris Simms all time career record is........ 7 and 9.

So he's a great Fisher QB. Although that's 3 years of work for him.

Was he a great pro, no....Didn't have time to develop into whatever he was gonna be. He got hurt....tore his spleen...and finished the game. I'll say again, he was a decent player....Good even in his season were he had a majority of the snaps.

He sat for two years, he had plenty of time to learn and develop. He was most definitely not good or even decent. At this point I don't even know if you know who we're talking about? Google it dude, what are you seeing, I really don't know.

College, he played at Texas....Not the Colt McCoy Texas....the Ricky Williams Texas teams....I am interested in hearing he didn't start until his 3rd year...Or was it his senior year?
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas/2001.html
Junior year...interesting players on that team....Cedric Benson....Roy Williams...Major Applewhite.....seems Mack preferred Major to Chris...as he continued to sub him out in tough games....Hell, he benched him in the Big 12 title game v. Colorado (really good team...great story about the QB on 30 for 30, Sal something).....Beat a good Washington team in the holiday bowl after going 11-2, Applewhite won the MVP.......that's when the Holiday bowl meant something....Guys from SC hate the Holiday Bowl....finished 4th in the country....with Mack Brown as HC....His last year, they finished 11-2, and won the Cotton Bowl v. LSU...running game wasn't working (against an SEC team, go figure)....and ole Chris...of the 59% completion rate....helped win a big game...no Major Applewhite on this team.

Whole lot of nothing is what that looks like. His college numbers are bad by NFL standards, even worse by college.

So again....not a B. Quick type rant....or G-Rob....just an honest attempt to represent a player in the correct light....not awful...not terrible....average at the worst....probably more likely pretty good....threw a decent deep ball...stronger arm than his daddy......and beat a highly ranked team in college....I guess he had help since he had several pros on his roster.

Then why was he so bad in the NFL? Why did he get drafted in the 4th round and take 2 years of sitting before becoming a starter via injury? Why could he not win games or throw TDs it limit his interceptions?

He wasn't good, by any metric. The eye test, or the stat test. He was a bad football player and he's a terrible football analyst.

Oh and he couldn't remember plays to the point Gruden would yell at him and make him stand on the sideline repeating it over and over again.

Which is probably why that's all he ever heard plays in his headset, because he couldn't remember them.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Never heard of another team rushing to the line so the OC could see the defensive alignment and adjust the play call...but wouldn't doubt it if a team did this too....and they should.

AKA Manning's bread and butter? Lots of teams do this, Packers did it the year they won the Super Bowl. It's a tactic many teams use to keep the defense from substituting players. Shit Bradford did this to the Giants on Monday night when they faked their injuries to slow us down. It happens every Sunday man.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Also

Here's an article from 10 years ago. 2007.

The NFL's 40-second play clock is ticking. The quarterback crouches under center and surveys the defense. Offensive coaches study the defensive signals sent in from the opposing team's sideline, sensing a blitz is coming. With only 15 seconds remaining, a problem arises.

The coach-to-quarterback radio shuts off. There's not enough time to give the quarterback a full accounting of the opponent's plans. The quarterback flies solo during those critical final seconds before the snap.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3035449

So in 2007 (hey, Chris Simms was riding the bench at this time) there was an article talking about how offensive coaches are talking to the QB about what the defense is doing through the headset until the 15 second cut off time.

In fact the entire reason for Spygate was to get around the 15 second cut off.

And teams used to go further and have the backup QB with a headset so once the coach was cut off the backup QB would feed information even though it was illegal.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Whole lot of nothing is what that looks like. His college numbers are bad by NFL standards, even worse by college.

It's worse than that. I live in Austin and can't really avoid hearing about Texas football, and remember his tenure here well. He was a choke-artist of McNabb-ian proportions. His meltdown against Colorado in the Big 12 Championship one year was epic, a total turnover fest (and denied them a chance to play for the national championship after someone else lost). He also had a horrible game in the Holiday Bowl once, throwing a boatload of INT's there. And I remember a game against Texas Tech at Lubbock, a very tight one where the Longhorns had the ball late, and of course, Simms throws an INT that clinches the game for Tech. He was very slow to develop even in college, and despite having much greater physical talent, had a hard time surpassing Major Applewhite.

He was an underachiever extraordinaire, and nobody in Austin missed him when he graduated. His failure in the NFL was not a surprising development.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
At this point I don't even know if you know who we're talking about? Google it dude, what are you seeing, I really don't know.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/tam/2005.htm

6-4 as a starter.....completes 61% of his throws...on a team that finished 11-5...and made the playoffs in his 2nd year....good player.....average stats....decent player....not terrible...terrible guys don't lead teams to the playoffs, no?

@thirteen28

They went 11-2 both years....he was benched in his junior year for Applewhite (buddy of mine has that last name)....he went 11-2 as a senior too...won the cotton bowl....
He's not supremely accurate QB....but he can throw....he played on a pretty balanced team in college...with nice lines and superior running backs....they don't throw like they do now....and a QB on a 11-2 team is decent....Good even....and the only reason I could see that Applewhite played over him is coaching....poor coaching...before he started playing Applewhite was losing 5 then 3 games...losing bowl games....I'd guess, not as good....probably not good at all....did Major Applewhite get drafted? And he wasn't throwing for huge yardage numbers either...like I said, pretty balanced team....with good running backs.

Choke artist....under achiever extraordinaire.....ahahahahahahahaahah....nope just unfortunate set of circumstances....when he got to Gruden, he got severely injured. Would he have been great, doubt it....Was he garbage???? You two know what garbage QB play looks like, yes?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
AKA Manning's bread and butter? Lots of teams do this, Packers did it the year they won the Super Bowl. It's a tactic many teams use to keep the defense from substituting players. crap Bradford did this to the Giants on Monday night when they faked their injuries to slow us down. It happens every Sunday man.

Finally, back to the original post.....Manning didn't appear to be listening to anyone...in fact, I believe Peyton looked over the defense HIMSELF, and decided which play to call....Not sure about Aaron, but I'd guess he knows defenses well too...and doesn't need a OC telling him what he sees....Bradford was rushing to the line....no huddle style, and trying to quickly run a play....not sure if he was trying to survey the defense, moreso, just try to snap the ball without allowing the opponent to substitute....
Here, so we're clear...here are Goff's WORDS

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/30...off-job-pre-snap-communication-cheating-rules

Jared Goff has taken a dramatic step forward between his rookie season and Week 13 of his second year in the NFL. And some people think it’s because Sean McVay is too involved in making pre-snap reads through the helmet communication system from the sideline.

Goff’s completion percentage has improved from 54.6 last year to 61.8 percent this season. Last year, he threw five touchdowns and seven picks. He’s thrown 18 touchdowns against just five interceptions in 2017. And the Rams are 8-3. That’s double the wins they finished with last season.

How has he improved this much so quickly? The easy answer is improvements to the roster and better coaching. However, some think what McVay’s is doing crosses a line. Count former NFL quarterback Chris Simms among them.

Simms said that McVay’s involvement is “cheating” and “unethical” on a recent episode of PFT Live.

Is that really the case?

What are McVay and the Rams doing pre-snap?
McVay has been criticized for getting the Rams to the line of scrimmage quickly so he can maximize the time he has to communicate with Goff.

And that means McVay can take advantage of that time to assess what the defense is giving them and direct Goff accordingly.

McVay said that it’s “a discredit to what Jared has done” to suggest that McVay is too involved before the snap.

"He's doing a lot of different things at the line, and that's really a credit to him. ... To say that I'm in his ear the whole time, that wouldn't be the case,” McVay said, via ESPN’s Alden Gonzalez.

Goff does have latitude to audible out of a play, but he said that’s pretty rare.

"Most of the time, (McVay) calls the play and he knows what he's talking about, so I let him do it," Goff said. "But there's plenty of times where it gets below 15 [seconds on the play clock] and we have to ad-lib it a little bit. It doesn't happen often, but there are times where that'll happen.

“It's been really good so far, though, the way we've been communicating."

What are the rules about pre-snap communication with quarterbacks?
The rules state that the sideline can be in contact with the quarterback until the play clock hits 15 seconds. Then a league official shuts down communication.

"Sometimes he talks all the way up until 15 seconds, sometimes he talks for five seconds, sometimes he talks for 10 seconds -- it all varies," Goff said. "Just like every other quarterback in the league, it stops at 15 seconds and we're on the play.”

There’s not really any way around this rule. It would be almost impossible for the Rams, or any other team, to break it.

McVay said that his approach with Goff is standard operating procedure in the NFL. He said it’s similar to the way he ran the offense in Washington with Kirk Cousins. And Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians backed McVay up on that.

"When you have a young quarterback in a new system, it helps tremendously,” Arians said, via Gonzalez. “You wish you could talk to him all the way to five seconds."

McVay’s pre-snap communication with Goff is well within the NFL’s rules. And it’s working.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think in the interview, he said, Jared Goff said, the coach McVay tells him, that in this look (the defense), so and so should be open...like a hint...refresher of what was gone over in practice....that's what I took from his explanation of what he's saying to Goff in the seconds B4 the :15 sec....when the mic shuts off. Is that telling him where to throw? Not really, but it gives him a clue of what to look for....and if he sees the look he wants, I'm sure he throws the ball that way.

I bet, this is the reason he was staring down targets earlier in the season....and now, he's been coached/reminded to look off the safety/corner/lb....

Not trying to sound ridic....absurd...nothing...

In fact, this isn't a criticism of mine at all...whatever works...go for it....I happen to think he shouldn't have told anyone til after the season....I bet some team will have the mic not working....to try and slow this offense.
Sounds like tap dancing to me. You are really going to say that you weren't inferring that McVay tells Goff where to throw the ball and that Wentz' OC doesn't? Yeah - I call bullshit.

And to the mic not working... they all use them and pretty much the same way. There is a 15 second cut off because all coaches will at times run right up against it and would go beyond it if given the opportunity. If they make it so the Rams mic doesn't work, by rule, they can't use theirs either.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The rules state that the sideline can be in contact with the quarterback until the play clock hits 15 seconds. Then a league official shuts down communication.
This is the exact reason that this is a total non-issue and why Chrissy Simms is so full of shit. Is he saying that the Rams somehow circumvent the leagues technology? Maybe that we placed a second mic in the helmet of Goff?

Simms is just making excuses why he was so wrong about Goff. Sounds like a member here at ROD except that he is ducking behind the good to very good BUT BUT BUT .... routine.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
YEAH, kind of like, you can't be fired, but let's start changing your job and environment so you want to quit. Then it's on you, not us....... classy.

I look at it as they felt his streak meant something to him and after all these years together they respected him enough to let him continue the streak if he wants to. They could have just sat him and went about their business of trying to prepare for the future by getting looks at their younger qbs

Honestly I'm not sure how much classier you can be when benching your franchise qb for the past 10 years

bluecoconuts

Legend
Finally, back to the original post.....Manning didn't appear to be listening to anyone...in fact, I believe Peyton looked over the defense HIMSELF, and decided which play to call....Not sure about Aaron, but I'd guess he knows defenses well too...and doesn't need a OC telling him what he sees....Bradford was rushing to the line....no huddle style, and trying to quickly run a play....not sure if he was trying to survey the defense, moreso, just try to snap the ball without allowing the opponent to substitute....

I can almost guarantee Manning's coaches were talking to him. However, I actually agree I believe Manning was doing most of those things himself... Eventually.. His rookie year? I doubt it. Second year? Probably not. Third year? Maybe. It takes time. Having a coach talk to you doesn't mean you don't know defenses and it doesn't mean you need the OC to tell you what you see.

I'm an expert shooter, I'd wager a lot of money I'm the best shooter on this forum, it's what I did for 8 years. You know what I did when shooting? Talked with my spotter. A lot. Because it's always better to have a second set of eyes. Did I need to talk to him? No, I could do his job just like he could do mine. I could calculate wind, distance, angle, all that myself, I can adjust my scope, breath and have a smooth break on the trigger every time, I'd been doing it for years, you would expect that. I still spoke with my spotter. He still told me to hold scope and when to fire. The fact that my spotter would talk about things with me didn't mean I could do it myself. To suggest that the fact that McVay talks with Goff means he can't do it is just asinine and I get the feeling you know that. Especially since you're highlighting comments where Goff and McVay don't get to talk.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/tam/2005.htm

6-4 as a starter.....completes 61% of his throws...on a team that finished 11-5...and made the playoffs in his 2nd year....good player.....average stats....decent player....not terrible...terrible guys don't lead teams to the playoffs, no?

6-4 as a starter one year with an overall career record of 7-9. He won 1 game the year before, 6 games that year and then zero games the rest of his career. The team finished 11-5 but started 5-1 before Simms came in and promptly brought the team to 5-3 by losing to a 49ers team that was 1-5 before playing Tampa (finished 4-12 that year) and Carolina that was actually a pretty solid team.

They were able to finish 11-5 on the back of Offensive Rookie of the Year Cadillac Williams, not on the arm of Chris Simms.

I mean he just wasn't good and that's why he washed out.

Goff does have latitude to audible out of a play, but he said that’s pretty rare.

"Most of the time, (McVay) calls the play and he knows what he's talking about, so I let him do it," Goff said. "But there's plenty of times where it gets below 15 [seconds on the play clock] and we have to ad-lib it a little bit. It doesn't happen often, but there are times where that'll happen.

All this says is most of the time the play that McVay calls is a good play to call. That makes sense given that our offense tends to move pretty well. It also says that sometimes Goff has to do it himself, which we already know.

"Sometimes he talks all the way up until 15 seconds, sometimes he talks for five seconds, sometimes he talks for 10 seconds -- it all varies," Goff said. "Just like every other quarterback in the league, it stops at 15 seconds and we're on the play.”

And this just confirms what we've all been saying, Goff isn't being being told where to throw the ball or all the reads. There's no way a coach can give all that information in 5 seconds. So what's your point here?

If anything the fact that McVay is teaching Goff how to look at the field like a coach, something that you see from HOF QB's like Manning, Brady, or even other positions like Faulk, shows that Goff has a HIGH football IQ not a low one. You don't teach idiots like Chris Simms who can't remember a play how to look at the field like a coach, you teach that to the Mannings of the league.

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/30...off-job-pre-snap-communication-cheating-rules

Jared Goff has taken a dramatic step forward between his rookie season and Week 13 of his second year in the NFL. And some people think it’s because Sean McVay is too involved in making pre-snap reads through the helmet communication system from the sideline.

Goff’s completion percentage has improved from 54.6 last year to 61.8 percent this season. Last year, he threw five touchdowns and seven picks. He’s thrown 18 touchdowns against just five interceptions in 2017. And the Rams are 8-3. That’s double the wins they finished with last season.

How has he improved this much so quickly? The easy answer is improvements to the roster and better coaching. However, some think what McVay’s is doing crosses a line. Count former NFL quarterback Chris Simms among them.

Simms said that McVay’s involvement is “cheating” and “unethical” on a recent episode of PFT Live.

Is that really the case?

What are McVay and the Rams doing pre-snap?
McVay has been criticized for getting the Rams to the line of scrimmage quickly so he can maximize the time he has to communicate with Goff.

And that means McVay can take advantage of that time to assess what the defense is giving them and direct Goff accordingly.

McVay said that it’s “a discredit to what Jared has done” to suggest that McVay is too involved before the snap.

"He's doing a lot of different things at the line, and that's really a credit to him. ... To say that I'm in his ear the whole time, that wouldn't be the case,” McVay said, via ESPN’s Alden Gonzalez.

There’s not really any way around this rule. It would be almost impossible for the Rams, or any other team, to break it.

McVay said that his approach with Goff is standard operating procedure in the NFL. He said it’s similar to the way he ran the offense in Washington with Kirk Cousins. And Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians backed McVay up on that.

"When you have a young quarterback in a new system, it helps tremendously,” Arians said, via Gonzalez. “You wish you could talk to him all the way to five seconds."

McVay’s pre-snap communication with Goff is well within the NFL’s rules. And it’s working.

Dude, not really sure what your agenda is here.

You said yourself you aren't sure Peyton or Rodgers are getting coached thru the headset,so you can't deny the possibility that they were.

Remember Kordell Stewart? Didn't he get benched in Pittsburgh because he wasn't running the plays the coaches called in to him.

This has been going on since the introduction of the headsets. Just because there wasn't a story about it doesn't mean it didn't happen before

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Wouldn't it be justice if we end up beating the Cheatriots in the superbowl, and are accused of cheating to win?

As long as the Rams pick right up where the GSOT left off and the cheatriots endure a 16 year stretch like the Rams have had since 2001. While the Rams enjoy a 16 years stretch like the cheats have had since 2001. They can call the Rams whatever the fuck they want, as long as we are referring to them as the defending World Champion Los Angeles Rams.