Jared Goff, Sean McVay push back against claims that Rams’ play-calling is ‘cheating’ or ‘immoral’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yet another reason to hate Chris Simms. What is this assholes problem? I swear he has a vendetta against Jared Goff for some weird reason. Get a life Simms....

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/2...hat-rams-play-calling-is-cheating-or-immoral/

Jared Goff, Sean McVay push back against claims that Rams’ play-calling is ‘cheating’ or ‘immoral’
By RICH HAMMOND

mcvay-w-goff.jpg

Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images

NFL coaches are allowed to talk to their quarterbacks through the in-helmet headset until the 40-second play clock ticks to 15, at which point communication is cut off. That time typically is used to call plays while players are in the huddle, but in the Rams’ case, it seems as though they sometimes get to the line of scrimmage early, then have Coach Sean McVay, left, make calls or adjustments for Jared Goff, right. (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Image

THOUSAND OAKS — Sean McVay, perhaps the most excitable coach in the NFL, can say a lot in 25 seconds. Rams quarterback Jared Goff is charged with processing all those words.

Is it too much? After studying film, writers and commentators theorized this week that McVay feeds audible calls to Goff, through in-helmet communication, while the Rams are at the line of scrimmage.

That is, even in the strictest of NFL rules interpretations, totally legal. A coach is allowed to talk to his quarterback until the 40-second play clock ticks to 15, at which point communication is cut off. That time typically is used to call plays while players are in the huddle, but in the Rams’ case, it seems as though they sometimes get to the line of scrimmage early, then have McVay make calls or adjustments.

McVay has come under some media criticism from pundits who apparently feel that relaying audibles to a quarterback is a step too far. Quarterbacks, some said, should have to make some decisions on their own, and not be force-fed information about what plays to audible to, and where to throw the ball.

“To say you’re in his ear – and I’ve seen some of the things out there – I think it’s a discredit to what Jared has done,” McVay said after Wednesday’s practice at Cal Lutheran.

“With the experiences that I’ve had in Washington (as offensive coordinator) and here, it’s totally the quarterback’s discretion as to whether they want me to talk to them and give them reminders, or if they say, ‘Just give me the play and let me play the position.’”

If anything, McVay is just doing a better job of maximizing his time by speeding up the Rams, and both Goff and McVay noted that Goff has the ability to ignore McVay and change to something totally different.

McVay said that, to his knowledge, most NFL coaches operate the way he does, going up to the 15-second mark of the play clock if needed. Both Goff and McVay seemed a bit flummoxed that commentators around the league might take issue.

“Sometimes he talks all the way up to 15 seconds,” Goff said of McVay. “Sometimes he talks for five seconds. Sometimes he talks for 10 seconds. It all varies. Just like every other quarterback in the league, it stops at 15 seconds and we run the play. But he’s great on the headset, though. He does a great job, and gives me as much or as little information as I need.”

It doesn’t seem to be a problem within the league, though, perhaps because McVay isn’t the only coach to do it. He’s just the first one to be noticed. The Rams play Arizona on Sunday, and during a conference call on Wednesday, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians expressed no problem with McVay’s communication.

“It’s not the first time it’s been done, that’s for sure,” Arians said. “When you have a young quarterback in a new system, it helps tremendously. You wish you could talk to him all the way to five seconds, but when they cut it off at 15, it’s hard. But no, that’s a great tool.”

Not everyone agrees. Former NFL quarterback Chris Simms went on a national radio show Monday and declared McVay’s tactics to be not only “cheating” but also “immoral,” a rather personal level of vitriol.

Simms didn’t mention that, just as McVay can be in Goff’s ear when the Rams are at the line of scrimmage, it’s not an inherent advantage. The opposing defensive coordinator is allowed to talk to one of his players – usually the middle linebacker – until the same 15-second mark on the play clock.

So, yes, McVay might be clueing in Goff on which matchup to exploit but, at the same time, the defensive coordinator very well could be exhorting his linebacker to blitz through a certain gap.

“It’s about the players,” McVay said. “If you have some players who like to have some extra information, great. They can always decipher whether they utilize it or not. The players I’ve been around, they like that. But it is a part of the game and it’s something that we’re utilizing in different ways.”

Regardless, it’s still up to Goff to make the plays, and last Sunday against New Orleans, he showed that his success isn’t completely dependent on McVay.

Late in the second quarter, Goff dropped back, stood in the pocket and motioned for rookie receiver Josh Reynolds to change his route. Reynolds cut to the back of the end zone and Goff threw a 7-yard touchdown pass which gave the Rams an important 10-point lead.

“That was all him. That was a bad call by me,” McVay said. “He did an excellent job to be able to sit in there, to remain a passer with great protection. He was directing traffic, and that’s what special players do. … Josh and him are on the same page, and he delivers a great ball.”

Mod Edit: Remember to include link, author's name, and to credit whoever took the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haters gonna hate. Simms has been critical of Goff before he was even drafted. He's just reaching for reasons to take away the Rams success now.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

haha, fuck me. how is this even a story? fucking shit journalists.

jjab360

Legend
This was always such a non-story, it's ridiculous. Just the pundits' last ditch smear campaign because they were all so wrong about Goff and this year's Rams.

And Chris Simms is a moronic tool if anyone didn't already know that.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Haters gonna hate. Simms has been critical of Goff before he was even drafted. He's just reaching for reasons to take away the Rams success now.

This is the same retard who said Tom Brady wasn’t a top 5 QB. Also ratted our his former college saying boosters were paying him. That handjob probably didn’t realize they were paying him to go home. Guys career blew and now he acts like a jerkoff to get any attention he can get.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is the same retard who said Tom Brady wasn’t a top 5 QB. Also ratted our his former college saying boosters were paying him. That handjob probably didn’t realize they were paying him to go home. Guys career blew and now he acts like a jerkoff to get any attention he can get.
Reads like my last review at work.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i wonder how simms feels about knowing that most people think he's a fuckwit.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I think it's ok and Goff isn't/shouldn't be diminished by this. The Rams trick is to get lined up early, preventing sometimes a late change by the defensive personnel-wise and then adjusting the play (with McVay aid) Goff is watching too and making adjustments. It's smart, not immoral.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
So many of these "professionals" were wrong about Goff. Now they will look for any excuse for why goff is proving them wrong.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
My Concern is that now that it is out teams will adjust ( action/reaction ) I could see teams waiting or delaying even possibly using formations to mislead us. We will see

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
My Concern is that now that it is out teams will adjust ( action/reaction ) I could see teams waiting or delaying even possibly using formations to mislead us. We will see

This isn’t something new. Coaches have been doing this forever on both sides of the ball.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Goff can read the field just fine. I’m not worried. Players still have to play, regardless what you call on defense.

Psycho_X

Legend
Until McVay can yell in his ear "THROW IT TO WOODS" or "RUN FOR YOUR FUCKING LIFE YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET HIT!!!!" during live action this is such a non-story it's ridiculous.

Goff gets a play called in the huddle and the team lined up extremely quick where other QBs are allowed to take their time and look shit over and listen to their coach. Goff gets a play immediately after the last play, lines up players, and still calls audibles and changes formations before and after McVay is allowed to talk to him. Frankly, I think what Goff does could be more difficult being that he's always moving and processing. McVay and Goff are bringing a faster pace to their offense. Nothing about that is easy. Especially for a second year QB. Goff still makes the split second decisions, still has to throw the ball with accuracy, still has to have pocket presence, still has to read defenses pre snap and post snap.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Thanks for the extra motivation this week simms...I always get nervous when everyone talks us up. Give us a reason to shut you up...we'll do it.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
First article I've ever read concerning the "observations" made by Chris Simms. An unwanted and well traveled former QB who also had a briefly unsuccessful coaching "career" of one whole season.

It will be the last.