Jared Goff-SamBradford: Rams Franchise QB Comparison

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As pure throwers, I'd say there are a lot of similarities. But Bradford was always an exceptional pure thrower. Where Goff leaves Bradford in the dust is pocket presence, movement, poise under pressure, and footwork. Goff also has extraordinarily light and nimble feet. Bradford was heavy-footed. He had speed but it was build up speed. Goff is a lot more sudden. Bradford had a stronger arm, though. But it might be closer once Goff adds some weight and physically matures a bit.

You can't predict injuries but I'd say Goff stands less of a chance than Bradford based on history.

That all said, Goff's ability in the pocket and mental processing speed are special. He's also walking into a much better situation than the one Sam walked into. For all the reasons Sam failed, I think Goff will succeed. His weaknesses are mainly Goff's strengths and Goff won't have the weight of the world on him to the level it was on Sam. Plus, Goff has a real NFL HC, not Steve Spagnuolo.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That was the major problem with Sam. He wouldn't take a chance and let his receivers make a play. I don't know if that was him or if that was the work of spags and Fisher.
It was absolutely Spags and Shurmur to begin with, but then it ended up being on him alone because once he started getting pummeled and injured, he didn't want to have anything to do with holding onto the ball and letting deep routes develop. Greg Cosell noticed it right away and started commenting on it before anyone else. Also - mentioning all of the OCs and changes in personnel doesn't need to be harped on anymore; but I mean, let's be fair. It's not the right way to develop a young QB.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's time to render the verdict, X and jrry32...I think Sam's performance in the NFL would not have been much better even with a better HC than Spags. Sam has to have perfect conditions just to be good. The short quick pass thing as a rookie, helped him cover his deficiencies and the Oline's deficiencies...That, and SJAX ran the ball well.....I don't remember a time where I felt Sam could command the field by quickly assessing his progressions, and delivering a strike. I am sure there are individual plays that I don't remember, but it seems to me that a lot of his yards were junktime stats in trying to come from behind.....For me, a rookie Sam Bradford should not even be taken until the 2nd or 3rd round in this years draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's time to render the verdict, X and jrry32...I think Sam's performance in the NFL would not have been much better even with a better HC than Spags. Sam has to have perfect conditions just to be good. The short quick pass thing as a rookie, helped him cover his deficiencies and the Oline's deficiencies...That, and SJAX ran the ball well.....I don't remember a time where I felt Sam could command the field by quickly assessing his progressions, and delivering a strike. I am sure there are individual plays that I don't remember, but it seems to me that a lot of his yards were junktime stats in trying to come from behind.....For me, a rookie Sam Bradford should not even be taken until the 2nd or 3rd round in this years draft.

I don't feel the same. I underestimated Sam's issues in the pocket when he was a prospect which is something I strove not to do again. But if Bradford ended up on in a stable situation with good coaching, I think he would have been successful if he stayed healthy. Bradford's game was always rhythm and protection. We set his development back in a big way by not giving him stable offensive schemes, good protection, or reliable weapons. It's hard to succeed as a young QB in that situation. Bradford's pocket movement and poise did progress in the NFL. His ability to read defenses and throw vertically progressed. But Bradford never got the stable situation he needed until injuries wrecked his career.

Can I say for sure that he would have panned out? No. But I think had he ended up in a better situation, things would have been very different.

My biggest issue with Sam is the way he's acting now. It's hard to stay in his corner when he's acting like such a whiny, entitled bitch rather than rising to the occasion now that he's being challenged.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Goffs attitude is much better . Bradford is showing his true colors in Philly and will hear the boo birds if he has enough guts to show up and play . I'm all in on the kid . Already ordered my son a #16 jersey .

You have no idea what Sam Bradford's "true colors" are.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think Bradford has helped me temper most of my excitement over Goff. You can't draw any conclusions yet on Goff with zero NFL snaps but I believe Bradford catches more flack than he deserves.

The Rams ruined Bradford early in his career with the situation they dumped him into. He came into the NFL playing exceptionally well for a rookie QB and almost took us to the playoffs with a joke of a roster. After years without any protection from the OL, no notable targets, and tolling injuries, Bradford was psychologically damaged and it seems permanent now. Bradford isn't a terrible QB even still but he can't lead a team to wins like he did as a rookie.

This is why it's so important that we make sure Goff has a better chance than Bradford in terms of what we build around him. Especially as a rookie because teams are going to blitz him heavily and test his abilities under pressure. Wishing him the best.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, you can render the verdict *now*, but again ... I was only talking about their pre-draft hype and perceived talents.

I disagree that he wouldn't have been better in a better situation. For one, he could have gone to a team that didn't need to start him day one. He also could have gone to a team with a completely different scheme that took advantage of his strengths. We saw how his production rose when he had Clayton (briefly) and Alexander (briefly) and Lloyd (briefly). Who's to say that a team with a full-time receiver (or two) like that wouldn't have put him on a different trajectory?

Meh. It's all opinion and I just stopped caring. I forgot that I put Bradford in my rear-view.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
They graded out almost the same. Different type players but same projections.
Let Goff play 3 years then compare.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Let's hope and pray that Goff doesn't have to go through the OC revolving door like Bradford did.

That's just not a path to success.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think Bradford has helped me temper most of my excitement over Goff. You can't draw any conclusions yet on Goff with zero NFL snaps but I believe Bradford catches more flack than he deserves.

The Rams ruined Bradford early in his career with the situation they dumped him into. He came into the NFL playing exceptionally well for a rookie QB and almost took us to the playoffs with a joke of a roster. After years without any protection from the OL, no notable targets, and tolling injuries, Bradford was psychologically damaged and it seems permanent now. Bradford isn't a terrible QB even still but he can't lead a team to wins like he did as a rookie.

This is why it's so important that we make sure Goff has a better chance than Bradford in terms of what we build around him. Especially as a rookie because teams are going to blitz him heavily and test his abilities under pressure. Wishing him the best.
--- First off When Sam came out it was different. I think Billy devaney said there was no value for trading back.Meaning The RAMS WERE STUCK WITH THE PICK.Then again he said the same was true about Jason Smith.(I believe he fell off a horse & had head damage in his life).
-- Your stuck in cap hell with Suh or Bradford.The Rams need a QB for the future,& made most sense cap wise as well for The position.Freaking Bradford played hard ball as well,which shows his person,because he was already breaking the bank.He was coming off shoulder surgery at the time.Dr.Anderson did wonders,& then Drew Bree's was playing amazing football.He also had had the same type surgery.
Bradford had not played in awhile as well.He got hurt 2 times on the shoulder.I remember both hits.One was against Boise St. The LB just came straight at him,& Sam foot work was horrible.He saw it coming right in front of him & didn't know how to take the hit(the fall).
--When Bradford threw so great at Oklahoma he had one of the best OLines in NCAA history.

--- Comparing there workouts were a lot different.Bradford had his pro day totally designed set.
Sam has the better are & can make all the throws.The biggest difference is there foot work & deep throws.Sam rolls out a lot wider.He needs more steps,or at least takes longer steps.Meaning takes longer to throw,& on top of defender.He also gets locked in more and does not(can't) keep progression
open.Looks great in a workout with his arm.
--This season with Philly improved a lot.He had to take some big hits.I believe if he still has the passion Sam has some really good years a head of him.
-- Goff has all the tools ,& still has so much upside.He is suprisingly tall for his body type.
His mind sets are totally different.It will be cool to watch him under center.I think Case Keenum will be a excellent Mentor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
--- First off When Sam came out it was different. I think Billy devaney said there was no value for trading back.Meaning The RAMS WERE STUCK WITH THE PICK.Then again he said the same was true about Jason Smith.(I believe he fell off a horse & had head damage in his life).

If he said that, he wasn't being very honest. As I recall, the Rams had trade offers from the Redskins (Shanahan), Browns (Holmgren), and the Steelers.

The only thing I can think is that he felt the value wasn't good enough to pass on a #1 overall QB. Then again, the Steelers did offer us Ben Roethlisberger, reportedly.(this was when he was suspended for the first 6 games, which was reduced to 4, due to the sexual assault accusations)

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It wasn't assumed that Bradford could do well in the NFL. It was more or less a given. Hence, going #1 overall with Holmgren trying to forfeit his draft (and more) to get in position to draft him. True, he didn't have the same pressure that Goff faced, and I agree that it's a mark in Goff's column. Level of competition also comes into play, and that's a push. I also wouldn't discount Bradford's intelligence at the time. It's one of the reasons why Wentz propelled up the charts despite the system and level of competition.

Remember, we're not talking about what happened after Bradford was drafted, so I'm really only focusing on the discussion that took place for both before the draft as per the OP. Bradford's medical was a concern until his pro day, and it was arguably one of the best pro days ever put on by a prospect. I remember Gil Brandt more or less saying it *was* his most memorable and impressive, going all the way back to Aikman's. After that, nobody cared about his shoulder anymore.
This is completely the way I remember it as well. Bradford was thought to be the next Troy Aikman and that it was pretty much a given that he would succeed. And his proday was so impressive that multiple people gushed about he was going to be a superstar. The only question mark on him was his injury history.

I would go as far as to say that Bradford was considered a better prospect when both were drafted, but obviously time has come to judge Bradford. We'll see about Goff

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If he said that, he wasn't being very honest. As I recall, the Rams had trade offers from the Redskins (Shanahan), Browns (Holmgren), and the Steelers.

The only thing I can think is that he felt the value wasn't good enough to pass on a #1 overall QB. Then again, the Steelers did offer us Ben Roethlisberger, reportedly.(this was when he was suspended for the first 6 games, which was reduced to 4, due to the sexual assault accusations)
I guess you know better than me.??? Still it was said the value was not there.
There is a reason you saw a historic trades by The Rams. Lucky to get next years #1.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't recall there being any doubts to Bradford ability, it was the injury that was the red flag IIRC. Sure there were concerns that he played in a spread and didn't face pass rush, but there were concerns about Luck and Manning too.
There's never been a guy I can recall being drafted where there were no doubts or concerns, its still a crap shoot.

Still and all, the comparisons to Bradford flat out annoy me. He wasn't a success, so I don't see any comparison being made where its meant to be a compliment. In fact, I see many more parallels between Bradford and Wentz than I do with Goff.
Honestly, I cant recall watching a QB play under such pressure in college, and yet be so successful passing. That's what has me juiced about this kid. I cant compare him because I cant recall somebody to compare to

nighttrain

Legend
this
I don't recall there being any doubts to Bradford ability, it was the injury that was the red flag IIRC. Sure there were concerns that he played in a spread and didn't face pass rush, but there were concerns about Luck and Manning too.
There's never been a guy I can recall being drafted where there were no doubts or concerns, its still a crap shoot.

Still and all, the comparisons to Bradford flat out annoy me. He wasn't a success, so I don't see any comparison being made where its meant to be a compliment. In fact, I see many more parallels between Bradford and Wentz than I do with Goff.
Honestly, I cant recall watching a QB play under such pressure in college, and yet be so successful passing. That's what has me juiced about this kid. I cant compare him because I cant recall somebody to compare to
this!
train

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
We might be able to compare Goff better to Matt Ryan:
When you see a college QB will his team to victory in the face of pressure, with lots of tough, come-from-behind victories, you know he's got real talents.

Athos

Legend
Not much to compare.

This isn't an indictment of Sam. But at OU, he just didn't have to move in the pocket like Goff. He was deadly accurate, yes. But look at his O-line. Very rare was he ever moved off his spot. He was a stand and throw rhythm passer of the highest order. When going uptempo shotgun, he murdered you. And I think, had the Rams kept an O tailored to that strength, he may still be a Ram. But he wasn't, and he wasn't taught well to read and react and move in the pocket.

Goff had to move the day he entered the lineup. His eyes and always moving. He doesn't quite have the Arm of Sam. If Goff threw a tight spiral like Sam, he'd probably be the closest thing to Rodgers to have come out.

Not to mention Goff throws people open. Sam sometimes had a tendency to put the ball to much on the body of the WR.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I wanted to just say Who The Fuck Is Bradford... but I can't help but notice something in comparing him and Goff.

Goff doesn't have one eyeball larger than the other like Bradford.

Sam is so far in my rear view mirror that I can't even see his one giant eye anymore... and I'm so thankful for that.

:snicker:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Ok, so were talking pre-draft here only of course. ANYTHING else would be an unfair debate based on potential AND speculation.

I was a huge advocate for drafting Sam, and I had huge hopes for him as our franchise guy for the next 15years or so - but I think I was blinded by his accuracy and how good a team he had around him at the time - he had an enviable O-line, with acres of space to throw from (something that he'd not experience again) I didn't see this at the time, was taken in by the hype and excitement of drafting a QB of his 'talent' at #1 in the draft. I WAS however, really nervous about his injury past - I knew the NFL hits would be harder and more frequent and I was really concerned about that and how he'd fare. Sam to me often looked like a rabbit in the headlights in a collapsing pocket, and looked scared, he may not have been but thats what I saw in his eyes.

Which brings me to Goff. I've never been a huge fan of this year's QB draft, but as soon as we did our trade up - I forced myself again to watch the footage and games. Goff's pocket was nowhere near as clean as what Sam had at the Sooners, but his ability to make the pass was still there. He looks like he phases out the pass-rush as white noise and still runs through his progressions quickly. THIS, is what turned me on to Camp Goff - the guy just seems to see and think - FAST. I love his dancing feet, reminds me of a boxer dancing until he throws a punch.

If both were in the same draft, it would be a close call for me and it would right up until the pick would be made - size, arm, accuracy, very similar tbh. I'd have to look at the current Rams team and look at which QB would work best in OUR scenario. And I think that would be Jared Goff.

Also, looking at both guys, pre-draft there was just something about Bradford's eyes - I put it down to nerves, but he just looked spooked, whereas I feel Goff has an air of confidence about him. I put a lot of faith in my gut instinct on people and what I read in their eyes.

I just hope that our coaching team doesn't mess up this kid. For the love of Madden, surround him, nurture and protect him - we've invested a lot INTO getting him, now lets make sure we get the best OUT of him.

ausmurp

Starter
A lot of you are taking into account Bfords pro career in what you're saying, seems like you are having trouble separating him as a prospect, and as a pro. The thread is about Bford BEFORE he was a pro, as only a prospect, and how he compared to Goff. Bford and Goff do compare closely as pre-pro prospects. Similar pros and cons list, the primary difference being the question in pocket awareness and injury history. Bfords touch and accuracy were praised over and over in scouting reports. Quoted even as 'deadly' and 'best ever seen' by some scouts. Very similar quotes about Goff.

Bottom line, Bford was an amazing prospect before he went pro, as is Goff. Many ppl were certain even after his first yr Bford was a much better prospect than Newton. So yeah...lol. Goff is no better a prospect than Bford was. Now let's pray he is a MUCH BETTER PRO.

Go Rams go Goff.