Jared Goff remaining patient, as are team's coaches

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jared Goff remaining patient, as are team's coaches

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

THOUSAND OAKS – Jared Goff stands – apparently with patience – and waits to enter a regular-season game, even as his quarterback contemporaries have formed a conga line into their respective huddles.

Goff, the Rams’ No. 1 overall pick in this year’s draft, has yet to take a snap. Goff was inactive for the season opener and has been the backup for the past four games. Rams coaches have taken a tortoise-slow attitude with Goff’s development but have expressed nothing but satisfaction with the rookie.

Meanwhile, around the league, rookie quarterbacks are playing. Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz, taken second overall, has started four games. Denver’s Paxton Lynch, taken at No. 26, made his first start last week. Third-round picks Jacoby Brissett (New England) and Cody Kessler (Cleveland) have started.

Among the first six quarterbacks selected last April, only Goff and second-round pick Christian Hackenberg (New York Jets) have yet to take a regular-season snap. Is Goff feeling any frustration?

“Every situation is different,” Goff said after Wednesday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “All of these guys who are doing well right now, I’m happy for them. Most of them I’m good friends with, and they’ve done a good job and I’m very happy for them.”

The Rams’ comfort level with Goff seems to be rising. After the preseason, Coach Jeff Fisher indicated Goff wasn’t ready for an NFL game, thus the inactive status for the opener. This week, Fisher said it was possible Goff would get into a game if the Rams were leading or trailing by a large margin.

Goff, who turns 22 on Friday, is younger than all five of the rookie quarterbacks who have played this season – Dallas’ Dak Prescott, a fourth-round pick, has started all five games – and Rams coaches said they’re pleased with Goff’s development, and not only as their scout-team quarterback in practices.

“A lot of time, you understand how a person is learning by the questions he’s asking,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras said. “He’s not asking rookie questions anymore. He’s starting to ask more advanced, the (college-level) 301- or 401-type questions. So for me, it starts there.”

Goff was asked if he thought his understanding of the game has progressed beyond rookie status.

“I hope so,” Goff said. “I think I’ve progressed ever since I got here, and I don’t think I’ve ever plateaued or gone backward. I think I’ve gotten better every time, every week, every day. I feel good. I just feel like every day and every week has gotten more and more natural and more like second nature.”

INJURY REPORT

Coach Jeff Fisher said the Rams are getting healthier, even if the on-field activity didn’t reflect it.

Starting defensive linemen Michael Brockers (hip), William Hayes (ankle) and Robert Quinn (shoulder) all missed practice, as did cornerback Trumaine Johnson (ankle) and guard Cody Wichmann (ankle).

The defensive linemen all missed Sunday’s game against Buffalo, but Fisher said Brockers had been close to playing. Johnson is not likely to play against Detroit, while the status of the other injured players probably won’t be determined until Friday.

Cornerback Dwayne Gratz, signed by the Rams on Tuesday, participated in his first practice. Defensive lineman Morgan Fox, waived to make room for Gratz, will be added to the Rams’ practice squad.

[www.ocregister.com]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just feel like every day and every week has gotten more and more natural and more like second nature.”
There's the key to his debut.
When it's all second nature, Keenum will step aside.

And it coalesces with Fisher saying in a presser a while back that he doesn't *want* Jared to go through any undue pressure when he starts. Pressure, in this case, being the pressure associated with thinking too much and not just playing. "Just play" is what Fisher said he wants Jared to do when he gets out there. Thinking and not reacting, as we ALL know, is a confidence killer, a drive killer, an invitation to injury, and not performing at a high level. Fisher also said (in so many words) that he doesn't want to subject him to failure. That's a good thing, by the way. If Jared hasn't been comfortable in the system, and they just threw him out there to fumble, throw picks, and get sacked, then they'd be setting him up to fail. Wanting to get him to a certain comfort level before he starts is smart, in my opinion. It's really smart.

Last edited:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Why do journos insist with the continued comparisons with other rookie QBs' situations?

Every single rookie QB in that article (other than Goff) has played because of injury to either their own team's starter or Bridgewater (in Wentz's case) and no other reason. If Keenum gets injured, Goff will start (not that I'm wishing injury on him or anyone else)

“Every situation is different,” Goff said

I'm not going to bang on about why this statement is true because its been done a thousand times already (age, offense played in college etc). But its true nonetheless.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Despite the persistent raucous for him to start right now today no yesterday by fans and media alike, Goff endears himself to me with his responses, and that is impressive in it's own right.

And I like the hint at honesty (in an interview) in this line ...
“Every situation is different,” Goff said after Wednesday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “All of these guys who are doing well right now, I’m happy for them. Most of them I’m good friends with, and they’ve done a good job and I’m very happy for them.”
You don't have to be good friends with everyone, heck I'd be worried if claimed to be. You just have to work (well) with them and be the best you can be.

Those preseason games were ugly, but I'm not worried at all.